Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2009 6:05:35 AM EDT
While I like the form factor of the factory carry handle and built in sight, the sight leaves a ton to be desired IMO.  Its small 7mm objective lens just doesn't pull in enough light.  On top of that, its like looking through a peep hole.  Is it just the form factor that everyone doing these SL-8 to G36 conversions is after?  Or am I missing the boat on something here?

I ended up pulling the carry handle off my G36 and installing a rail with flip up iron sights and put an ACOG on it.  The difference is like having just wiped the grim off my glasses!  I feel like I can see again!!!

Am I missing something?  School me please.

Here's mine after the changes.

Link Posted: 10/30/2009 10:58:31 AM EDT
[#1]
First off gorgeous weapon, I think most people like the EOM look of the carry handle scope
I personally agree with you, that it is lacking and if I were to drop $3k+ into a G36 build I would put the G36c rail on it and a 4x ACOG
I was tempted to go the same route but decided to get a SCAR instead, less expensive and less hassle
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 11:11:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't think you're missing anything, it's just not your cup of tea. With that said, I'm sure if you ran drill and fired 3 or 4 thousand rounds with it you'd be a deadly bastard at range.

My issue was more for the dual sight. The red dot optic seemed like a waste when you could simply slap some rail surface on top and mount an Eotech or Aimpoint (which they're doing in A'stan)

As for me, I went a different route for a red dot. That's a custom design that I had made for a DrOptic mini red dot. ETA: That's my design that I had a machinist fabricate for me to my specs.

Same rifle with DocRak rail w/ factory sights. I had a Leupold CQT up on it before but use it with the factory optics now.  

Link Posted: 10/30/2009 11:20:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I like that DR optic setup you're running.  That's pretty slick.  

Glad to hear I'm not missing something obvious.  I just prefer a bit more field of view with more light.  I kept finding the factory optic wasn't bright enough to enable me to shoot with both eyes open and when only looking through the optic I couldn't see enough for a 1x scope.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 11:26:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Glad to hear I'm not missing something obvious.  I just prefer a bit more field of view with more light.  I kept finding the factory optic wasn't bright enough to enable me to shoot with both eyes open and when only looking through the optic I couldn't see enough for a 1x scope.

No sir, you're not. You did the uniquely American thing and made the platform work for you rather than suffer. FWIW, I agree that the FOV is small, but likely it was a compromise design to fit the form factor.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 11:39:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No sir, you're not. You did the uniquely American thing and made the platform work for you rather than suffer. FWIW, I agree that the FOV is small, but likely it was a compromise design to fit the form factor.

Works for me.  Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:57:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:07:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Post Sample in the first picture?

Yes
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:18:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:07:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Where did you get the FES Lower?

I've only ever seen the pictogram lowers...

I believe it to be factory equipment. It was on it when I bought it.  Still not sure what E is, other than semi...
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:42:41 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Still not sure what E is, other than semi.

That's it.

The E is for inzelfeuer (Ine-tsell-foyer) which means "single shot".

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:04:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Still not sure what E is, other than semi.

That's it.

The E is for inzelfeuer (Ine-tsell-foyer) which means "single shot".

Thanks! My German is a little rusty..... Read non existant!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top