Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2009 3:21:32 PM EDT
Hello all. My USP .45 is not ejecting magazines properly when cocked. It looks as though the spring that is in the handguard is protruding a bit from its housing when cocked. Any suggestions on how to fix it? It literally only happens while cocked.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:21:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Does your model have a internal trigger lock? If so it's locked and it's easy to overcome by operating the slide, thus bending the rod that travels up the grip.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:43:43 AM EDT
[#2]
If a person tried to operate the slide with the lanyard loop lock "on" then the hammer strut can be bent.  If this happened then you have no choice but to return the pistol to HK and have them replace the hammer strut.  The strut is so thin that I do not recommend trying to straighten it out.  A small fatigue crack could have disastrous results if you pull the trigger and the strut has broken (nothing will happen when you expect a boom, the hammer will not even fall).
It is a warranty repair so call HK for a RAN and return the pistol to them.  If you bought it new and it came this way, the dumb-ass dealer bent the strut because they did not unlock the LL before checking the pistol.  They come locked usually and with a white tag on the frame stating the gun is locked and to unlock it before operating.  Some dealers have trouble reading it seems.
So, if the dealer bent it (by the way, he will never admit to it so don't ask) he should be willing to return it to HK for you so you do not have to pay shipping.  If you bent it, man up and don't try to get someone else to pay for your mistake.

Now, before you get too excited.  Do this.  Remove the lanyard loop and reinstall making sure the hammer strut spring is down in the little recess on top of the lanyard loop, and rotate the spring a half turn.  My Tactical was fine when I bought it, but I was playing around swapping hammer springs and suddenly it quite dropping the mag properly.  When I checked the hammer spring it was hanging up on the ledge on top of the lanyard loop and causing the spring to bind, project into the mag well, and hang up the magazine.
Try that first and if that does not solve the problem, return the pistol to HK for hammer strut replacement.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top