Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2009 5:31:16 PM EDT

I'm reassembling my C93/HK53 clone, and after I get my bolt matched up to the bolt carrier, how do I get the rollers retracted so I can put the bolt carrier group into the receiver?
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 5:35:05 PM EDT
[#1]
With the bolt and carrier assembled, look at the face of the bolt.  Now, twist the bolt counter-clockwise about 1/4 turn, pull the bolt forward about 1/4 inch and then twist the bolt back to where it is supposed to be.  Try that and post back.

ARKAR
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 5:39:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
With the bolt and carrier assembled, look at the face of the bolt.  Now, twist the bolt counter-clockwise about 1/4 turn, pull the bolt forward about 1/4 inch and then twist the bolt back to where it is supposed to be.  Try that and post back.

ARKAR

Once I twist the bolt onto the carrier, it really doesn't want to come forward; the claw on the side is pretty strong and resisting attempts at the bolt being pulled forward....will report back.  BTW, thanks!
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 5:42:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Once I twist the bolt onto the carrier, there is no back and forth slack.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 5:54:35 PM EDT
[#4]
<Borat> Great Success <Borat>

Now, when the rifle is cocked, the bolt carrier group appear slight out of battery, when the trigger is pulled the bolt carrier group appears to move forward into battery.

Is this normal?
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 6:02:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I assume you mean that when you pull the charging handle and let it forward slowly, it looks like the bolt doesn't go fully into battery.  Then, when you pull the trigger and the hammer falls, it goes into battery. If that's what you are referring to, then you need to let the charging handle go when you retract it and let the carrier and bolt slam, this will make sure it's fully into battery.

ARKAR
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 6:04:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

ARKAR

Once I twist the bolt onto the carrier, it really doesn't want to come forward; the claw on the side is pretty strong and resisting attempts at the bolt being pulled forward....will report back.  BTW, thanks!

You might have to turn the bolt a little more than 1/4 turn.  I didn't get my 93 out of the vault to see how far it needed to be turned.  The idea is to turn it enough so that the bolt clears the claw.

ARKAR

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 6:42:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Put the bolt carrier assembly in backwards and whack it into the receiver. The rollers will unlock. Pull the bolt out and insert it properly.

I reassure you that no damage will occur.

New Rifles are often too tight to use just your hands, a screwdriver is necessary on new ones. If you dont know where to pry then put the screwdriver down.

I have seen "experts" struggle putting a carrier back in after locking the rollers. So dont feel like your doing anything wrong. Look at this video @ 2:22 AGI HK91 reassembly

Im a professional gunsmith (fix them for a living), and I know these guns backwards and forwards. I wouldnt give poor advice.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 7:01:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't do any banging or reverse insertions...just do it right.

If you look carefully at the little lip on the bolt you can see it has about 2mm of width to it. Now the area on the carrier that the little lip twists into is 4mm wide. (approximations for example only).

If the rollers are stuck out, it means you pushed the bolt the last 4mm into the carrier before twisting, rather than the 2mm required. It is those last 2mm of insertion that pops the rollers out.

All you have to do is pull the bolt out again(a few mm's) and reinsert only enough to get the 2mm of bolt lip into that area, then twist. In other words, leave a 2mm gap between the bolt face and where it touches the carrier, not 0mm. If you lack the grip for the twist because you have giant hands, use a screwdriver(lengthwise, not tip).

rollers stuck
pictures 5 and 6 show exactly the small gap I'm talking about...no gap, rollers will stick out :)
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:06:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Ditto Clandestine, and it is the right way.  A whole lot more right than prying with screwdrivers and other such nonsense.  Put it in backwards and tap the muzzle on a very protected service.  You don't need to tap it hard, just enough to make the carrier and bolt unlock.  That is the way to do it and it will not hurt the rifle.  If it hurts the rifle then it is not an HK and made out of aluminum foil.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:52:55 PM EDT
[#10]
It was the AGI video that shocked me actually with all his poking, prying and prodding...all totally un-necessary. How is you two guys method considered "correct" if it involves backwards assembly to fix versus just sliding it out a few mm's and twisting once more?

The right way by definition would be to not fully insert the bolt and lock the rollers out in the first place, just as the instructions say. Your right way involves doing it wrong first? Nonsensical.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:40:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It was the AGI video that shocked me actually with all his poking, prying and prodding...all totally un-necessary. How is you two guys method considered "correct" if it involves backwards assembly to fix versus just sliding it out a few mm's and twisting once more?

The right way by definition would be to not fully insert the bolt and lock the rollers out in the first place, just as the instructions say. Your right way involves doing it wrong first? Nonsensical.

I find it funny for some reason, you're arguing with two gunsmiths...

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:21:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I find it funny for some reason, you're arguing with two gunsmiths...

Lol, me too! But the manual is right, not me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top