Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2009 3:17:21 PM EDT
Didn't want to hijack someone else's thread, though I'm sure this is kind of a common question.

I'd like to put a Leupold MRT 2.5-8x on an MFI Lo-pro mount.  I'd like to keep the BUIS if possible and want QD rings.

If I get some rings that put the scope nearly touching the rear sight, do I have a chance of getting a decent cheek weld without an adjustable cheek rest or stock?  What height rings might end up doing this?  Something along the lines of "mediums" or will I be looking at at least "highs"?

Thanks for any help!
Link Posted: 3/31/2009 5:27:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Nope, to get a scope high enough to clear the rear sight you'll need some sort of raised cheekrest.  Either the Magpul adjustable stock, a Cherokee snap-on cheekrest or one of the ones that velcros onto the stock.  Foam and 100 mph tape works well too, but you can't QD that!

I have a 2-7x35 scope on a MFI low mount and I use the Warne "ultra high" QD rings.  Note this is with a 1" tube - the rings for the 30mm tube aren't the same height so I can't swear by them.  I also use the Cherokee cheekpiece but I had to sand it down a bit to get a perfect cheek weld.  You may not have as big a grape as me so experieces may vary.
Link Posted: 4/2/2009 1:53:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Gotcha thanks.  I figured that would end up being the case.  It sounds like I may have to just experiment with some gear until I find the right combination, etc.
Link Posted: 4/2/2009 2:27:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Nope, to get a scope high enough to clear the rear sight you'll need some sort of raised cheekrest.  Either the Magpul adjustable stock, a Cherokee snap-on cheekrest or one of the ones that velcros onto the stock.  Foam and 100 mph tape works well too, but you can't QD that!

I have a 2-7x35 scope on a MFI low mount and I use the Warne "ultra high" QD rings.  Note this is with a 1" tube - the rings for the 30mm tube aren't the same height so I can't swear by them.  I also use the Cherokee cheekpiece but I had to sand it down a bit to get a perfect cheek weld.  You may not have as big a grape as me so experieces may vary.

I think you can acctualy have a scope in a QD mount.  I have seen a PTR91 W/ MFI mount with a LT SPR mount & and IOR scope on it.  It cleared the rear sight just fine.  Also have seen it done with a Nightforce scope & I was planning on doing it with a leupold 30mm 2.5-5 scope.

Link Posted: 4/3/2009 4:31:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you can acctualy have a scope in a QD mount.  I have seen a PTR91 W/ MFI mount with a LT SPR mount & and IOR scope on it.  It cleared the rear sight just fine.  Also have seen it done with a Nightforce scope & I was planning on doing it with a leupold 30mm 2.5-5 scope.

Yeah, the Warne rings I use are QD rings.   I was saying that if you make a cheekpiece out of 100mph tape you can't remove *that* fast!
Link Posted: 4/9/2009 9:44:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm wondering, anybody know what rings are on the rifle shown on the main PRS-G3 product page on Magpul's website?  They look like Badgers, but almost seem to have a "see through" hole in them.  Looks like it might be a good combo and maybe the sights would be usable without needing quick release rings?

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:48:17 PM EDT
[#6]
while not exactly super quick release, i have my scope on a Armalite 1 piece mount and clears the rear sight perfectly.   and although the scope is up a bit, i dont find myself having any cheek rest issue.   it was a simple adaptation to the scope and mount

even with the rather large front beel the rifle is easy to cock, and the charge handle just touches the scope when latched back
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top