Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2009 3:14:57 PM EDT
Hi All

I'm looking at buying a G3 and have found one stamped G3 FMP.  It has a green stock and a green rounded vented front handguard.  I believe that this was a version made in Portugal, but are they as good as a German G3 or should I wait for the real deal.  Price isn't an issue here as it's in South Africa where you just don't get deals.  If I get this, would I be able to put the newer type handguard and collapsable stock on this model?  

Any and as much info as possible would be appreciated. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 3:20:00 PM EDT
[#1]
they were HK licensed and as good as HK, buy with confidence.  FMP ceased production a number of years ago and sold the tooling to the company that makes the PTR91 now.

advntrjnky

ETA:  however they sold alot of receivers, so make sure it is a real FMP or a uild by a reputable builder.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 3:22:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had an FMP G3 for 17 years, never had a problem with it.  It was made on HK licensed tooling, so it is identical to HK marked stuff but cheaper.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:38:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I've had a few of the FMP mfg guns move thru here over the years and they're very nicely made. They are, IMO, third in line quality-wise after the Greek EBO guns (2nd) and HK factory 91's (1st) with all three being close in quality and workmanship.

Being the rifle is in SA, confidence is high that it's a true a Portuguese factory made gun and not a "build" gun.

The collapsible stock and wide forearm will unquestionably fit.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:39:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info.  The rifle is the same as the one pictured above and I'm pretty sure that t'is a genuine FMP build.  I was also a little concerned with the quality of the steels / materials used, even though it was made on HK tooling, or should I not worry then?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:36:27 AM EDT
[#5]
No worries regarding the materials used. I would however field strip it and look for any unusual wear or damage - I would also measure the bolt gap and take a peek down the barrel.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:41:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
No worries regarding the materials used. I would however field strip it and look for any unusual wear or damage - I would also measure the bolt gap and take a peek down the barrel.

Thanks osprey21, I appreciate the info.  How would I check the bolt gap, and where would I expect or not want to find wear?  I did ask them to check the barrel for me and they said it look's pretty clean, shiney, but the rifling isn't apparently very deap, is this normal?  The gunsmith at this shop said it's fine and the rifling like this was normal.

This is unfortunaley a long distance purchase hence all the questions, and I probably won't be able to check the rifle before I buy, so I just wanted to make sure I asked the right questions before handing over the cash.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:51:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Who was the importer of this FMP G3? I have a couple that  Interport in Delta, UT built using surplus parts on bare FMP receivers. The trigger packs on mine were SEF modified down to SF only and most of the metal parts have an arsenal number stamped or etched on them, not matching either. I have heard that PARS  INTERNATIONAL out of KY was the only importer of complete FMP rifles.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:27:59 PM EDT
[#8]
My FMP G3 was imported by PARS International.  All the numbers matched on my gun - Receiver, bolt carrier, stock end cap, etc. It definitely wasn't pieced togeter, all "686".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top