Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/15/2008 10:51:38 PM EDT
I only have access to a 25 yard indoor range. I was wondering how to properly sight in my JLD PTR91 at 25 yards using the iron sights. What setting should the rear sight be set on? Also if I'm zeroed for 25 how close am I at 100 and 200 yards? Thanks!!!

P.S. I'm shooting South African surplus. Many thanks for the help!!!
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 6:46:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Somebody probably knows the exact answer, but sighting at 25 yds with the 200 meter sight setting is actually pretty close to being sighted in.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 2:52:35 PM EDT
[#3]
You use the three hundred meter sight setting to zero the rifle at 25 meters for a battle sight setting.

Even if you set your sights at 100 meters using the 100 meter slot or apeture, your sights will still regulate well enough to hit the target at 25 meters using the 300 meter sight setting. HTH
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 10:59:06 PM EDT
[#4]
So I put the rear sight on "3" and zero it at 25 yards?

Also thanks for the above links. I'll read them soon! Looks like they are in meters....would using yards work as well?
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 5:50:56 AM EDT
[#5]
25m = 27.34yd

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 10:19:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
25m = 27.34yd

My range only goes out to 25 yards. I thought a meter was then a yard??? If I zero it at 25 yards will I be close at 200 yards? That is how I zero my AR and AK's. Thanks again!
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 5:40:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
25m = 27.34yd

My range only goes out to 25 yards. I thought a meter was then a yard??? If I zero it at 25 yards will I be close at 200 yards? That is how I zero my AR and AK's. Thanks again!

What does that mean?

The only way to be sure is to find a 200 yard rifle range and have at it...you'll have a blast.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 10:16:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
25m = 27.34yd

What does that mean?

The only way to be sure is to find a 200 yard rifle range and have at it...you'll have a blast.

I ment to type I thought a yard was farther then a meter.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:23:50 AM EDT
[#9]
1m = 39.37"
1 yd. = 36"

From the G3 Armorer's Manual, pg. 3:

-Rifle to be sighted-in with the rear sight in position "2" at a range of 100m.
-Rectify point of impact, if necessary.
-Elevation adjustment:
...{Use sight tool}...Turning clockwise lowers the point of impact 3.3 cm (1.29 in.) per click at 100m (109 yds.), turning counter-clockwise raises is [sic] correspondingly. ...{Remove sight tool}... After performing the elevation set the desired aperture again.
-Windage adjustment:
Point of impact, left: Loosen clamping screw on toop of sight base.  Turn adjusting screw counter-clockwise in accordance with the required correction.  Then retighten clamping screw.
Point of impact, right: ...Turn adjusting screw clockwise...
Note: Each revolution of the adjusting screw moves the mean point of impact 13.2 cm (5.19 in.) to the left or right at a range of 100 m (109 yds.)

Ballistic trajectories being what they are, a .308 round is pretty close to the same altitude at 25 m as it is at 100.  Just remember that you need to move the sight 4 times as far when sighting at 25 m ie- one click up or down only moves POI 0.3225 in.  Any way you can move back 7 feet?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:58:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
1m = 39.37"
1 yd. = 36"

From the G3 Armorer's Manual, pg. 3:

-Rifle to be sighted-in with the rear sight in position "2" at a range of 100m.
-Rectify point of impact, if necessary.
-Elevation adjustment:
...{Use sight tool}...Turning clockwise lowers the point of impact 3.3 cm (1.29 in.) per click at 100m (109 yds.), turning counter-clockwise raises is [sic] correspondingly. ...{Remove sight tool}... After performing the elevation set the desired aperture again.
-Windage adjustment:
Point of impact, left: Loosen clamping screw on toop of sight base.  Turn adjusting screw counter-clockwise in accordance with the required correction.  Then retighten clamping screw.
Point of impact, right: ...Turn adjusting screw clockwise...
Note: Each revolution of the adjusting screw moves the mean point of impact 13.2 cm (5.19 in.) to the left or right at a range of 100 m (109 yds.)

Ballistic trajectories being what they are, a .308 round is pretty close to the same altitude at 25 m as it is at 100.  Just remember that you need to move the sight 4 times as far when sighting at 25 m ie- one click up or down only moves POI 0.3225 in.  Any way you can move back 7 feet?

Thanks for more help!
I can't really move back. If I just zeroed it for 25 yards I should be close or a bit high at 100 yards and a little low at 200 yards......would the sights need to be on "2" if I did it this way? Am I correct im my thinking on sighting in at 25 yards?

All my other rifles I have them sighted in for 25 yards......keeping them all the same would be nice and easy to remember.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 1:34:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes, use position "2".  I always sight in first @ 25 yds., get within reason, then move back to 100 yds. and fine tune it.  I did this on position "2" for my PTR and she drives tacks.  Yards or meters is really not crucial as long as you know where your rifle is hitting for you.  True, the other positions (BDC basically) will not be completely accurate but when the zombies come, you will be ok. ;)

Happy shooting!

HTH
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 7:48:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yes, use position "2".  I always sight in first @ 25 yds., get within reason, then move back to 100 yds. and fine tune it.  I did this on position "2" for my PTR and she drives tacks.  Yards or meters is really not crucial as long as you know where your rifle is hitting for you.  True, the other positions (BDC basically) will not be completely accurate but when the zombies come, you will be ok. ;)

Happy shooting!

HTH

Thanks man!
I'll report back as soon as I can get her to the range.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top