Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2008 8:47:45 AM EDT
I don't own a HK clone but really seem to think I need one before the next election.  I can get either one of these (JLD PTR 91 or the Vector V51 CAR) for around $1000.  I would want to put the retractable stock on whatever I buy.  Any info?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:21:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd vote PTR-91.  I have had two and they are flawless.  Very nice rifles.

No experience with the Vectors, but PTR's are nice.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:37:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I would opt for the PTR-91 as well.

There are much fewer ppl with PTR-91s with problems than V51s. There are at least 2 or 3 V51 problem threads I can remember from www.subguns.com and my own brand new V51 SBR ain't doing so great either.

When I cam the cocking handle out it doesn't unlock the rollers in the bolt head. So I can never cock the gun or chamber a round without tools. I have to jam a screwdriver into the bolt gap to loosen it up enough to unlock the rollers. Some other folks have had the same exact problem. The PTR-91 I bought had no such problems however.

Whenever I can get some vacation time I'll probably have to contact Vector and see if they will fix the thing for me. It sucks waiting 2-3 months for all the ATF paperwork and then getting a gun that doesn't work.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:27:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Just to add, my Form 4 for a V51 came back this Sat. Before I signed the form, however, my dealer and I test fired the rifle. Ran flawlessly.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:14:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a couple of HK91s and a V51P. A few things to consider...

The PTR (and it's no longer JLD unless you're buying an older one) 91 is a nice clone with minimal reported problems.

The V51 is a nice clone with a few problems reported lately, but Vector is great at taking care of them and then you have a bad-ass little weapon.

The V51 takes a special recoil rod that is only available from Vector. It has an additional 2" retraction segment to allow for that much extra compression, because the bolt needs to travel that additional distance for cocking/charging the weapon. You can buy a stock from Vector or they will upgrade your stock (any one that you own already or want to get from a 3rd party) for $60 (talk to Chuck). The converted stock will reportedly still work on a 91 or clone.

Many people don't consider the V51 as a real weapon due to the reduced velocity which results from the shorter barrel, but testing on concrete block shows that it is still pretty damn powerful.

The V51 will require registration as an SBR if you want to put that stock on it, unless you have a sear pack.

The PTR 91 will be very front heavy with a retractable stock, whereas the V51 will feel very natural with it.

I just ordered an A2 stock for my V51P (I have a Fleming sear now) and will be getting my retractable stock converted for use with it. The retractable stock works ok on my HK91s but doesn't feel nearly as good as the fixed A2 stock when shooting. Even the Choate folder feels better (more solid and comfortable) than the A3 stock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top