Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/1/2008 11:47:21 AM EDT
Well, I inadvertently caught the Hk bug, and I have some newb questions. Genuine Hk 9x's are super expensive so I would be happy with a vector clone. The problems I keep running into are-

I want to customize it a lot. I want the Hk33k 12.5 in barrel with a permanently attached FH. That would mean I would need to buy a genuine Hk33 barrel… hard to come by?

Then I need to start worrying about parts count, I am sure Vector has way more parts made stateside than what is necessary, but no one seems to know for sure. I can’t SBR in Washington so that is out.

I want to put the Navy lower on it with the pictograms. This means I would have Clip and Pin (or just clip) the lower to fit. I have no idea how to do this. Will the Vector lower parts work in the Hk polymer lower?

I will want to put a railed forearm on it at some point also.

So my question is, am I better off buying it piece by piece and building it? Will all the Hk parts fit a vector receiver? How about the barrels, are they easy to install? I know you have to have a trunnion sp., I am completely green when it comes to gunsmithing Hk long arms.

Any help would be awesome,
Thanks

Edit: spelling
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 4:29:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I just bought a Vector factory 33k (pinned flash hider) off Sturm.  If you can find one, this is the way to go.  I wouldn't trust just anyone to press an HK barrel - HK builds are nothing like piecing together an AR.  The well known HK smiths will charge $600 - $800 for a really nice build if you have all the parts.  I've had Investment Grade Firearms (IGF) do a 94 to MP5 conversion & have another 94 being refinished & a 3-lug added by them now.  Either way, you should end up with a nice gun, but a quality build should cost you more.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:51:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Okay, I think I have decided to go ahead and buy the V53. Then upgrade it with the 4th gen A3 stock. Does anyone know if Vector will cut down barrels? I would prefer a shorter barrel with a permanently attached flash hider. Also, I am pretty sure the rifling is 1/12, it would be nice if they made a barrel 1/7. I know the Hk 93 Barrel is 1/7 but then I would have to worry about the parts count and being 922r compliant. Does anyone know where I can get a shorter Hk barrel? And how hard is it to install a barrel?
Thanks,
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:18:25 PM EDT
[#3]
It might be easier to get a V53P and SBR it than cutting down a V53.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:13:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Why not just purchase the V53 SBR outright?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:39:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Can't SBR in Washington state.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:05:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Can't SBR in Washington state.

Oh yeah...forgot about that. Well, you can go pistol...16" barrel, or go V93.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:32:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I talked to Adam Webber today (great guy) and he gave me some ideas. I think what I am going to wind up doing is buying a V53 rifle, putting a clipped and pinned HK lower on it, putting an A3 Collapsible stock on it and calling it a day. It would be fun to build one from the ground up, but I don't have the tools or knowledge to tackle that headache.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top