Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2008 6:17:27 AM EDT
I have a SWMP5 on the way and I am interested in swapping out the barrel as it is a rifle length with no dead-pinned fake suppressor on it.  My plan is to convert it into a SBR.
I understand the NFA requirements and have a class 3 dealer that has worked with me on two can registrations. The paperwork is not the issue.

I am trying to get accurate data on the swap out. I want to replace the current barrel with a three lug or a Navy with threads and lugs.

How do I do this? I can find the barrels but I am sure there is more to it than dropping it in. I hear some say a 10 ton press is needed. Others say get the paperwork to manufacture the barrel and cut the one I have down. That won't help with the three lug unless I thread and add one but that is an option as well.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 7:08:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Unless you have the right tools and knowledge I'd recommend having a pro do it. The cross pin gets removed and the barrel gets pressed out form the rear. The new barrel is indexed, pressed in from the rear and then the cross pin hole is drilled. Install pin. Then the triple frame has to be removed from the old barrel and reistalled on the new one. PITA for someone not well equiped.
As you mentioned, the three lug can be had different ways. The cheapest way would be to have a pro thread your barrel and install a three lug adapter. Unless I was dead set on German parts this is what I'd do.
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 7:14:12 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The cheapest way would be to have a pro thread your barrel and install a three lug adapter. Unless I was dead set on German parts this is what I'd do.

+1. No point in going through all the work andexpense on installing a German barrel on a SW rifle....  It doesn't really add much to the value, and it won't make it any more shootable.

Heck, that's what I've done with my HK94's. They already had a German barrel -- it just needed to be shortened.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 2:23:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys...after getting it in hand and talking to a few others, I will play with it as is for a while then get it cut and threaded. I wasn't ever going to fool myself into making it a German gun less the receiver. But if money was not a concern...I just can't come up with that kind of cash right now. This was a much better option for me.
I appreciate those that posted and sent emails.

EDIT...I was put in contact with M60Joe... he will cut, add a three-lug and even thread the three-lug to match my AAC...now to file the paperwork and wait for the official AOK to SBR it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top