Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2006 11:47:53 PM EDT
I've shot various HK rifles and pistol caliber carbines and like them well enough. Now I'm considering buying a rifle, probably A JLD PTR 91 and I'm wandering if there are any durability issues I should know about first.
Link Posted: 8/19/2006 10:22:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Durability is gonna cause you problems with these rifles.
(You're gonna spend a fortune on ammo trying to wear one out!)

Link Posted: 8/19/2006 8:06:41 PM EDT
[#2]
agreed! sturdy is an understatement.

Link Posted: 8/20/2006 7:16:06 PM EDT
[#3]
They are built like a tank.

I have had a HK91 for ten years and my Dad has had one for 24 years and both have never a jam.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 5:02:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Had one for about 20+ years and probably at least 5k down the tube.  Always worked.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 7:49:23 AM EDT
[#5]
The weakest part of the HK9x series rifle is the roller locking plate.  They fail occasionally.  Replacement ones are cheap (less than $20), and the gun will function just fine without one.   The only reason they are there to begin with, is to keep the rollers from falling out of the bolt when you remove the bolt/carrier from the rifle when you field strip it.

The only other draw back is cleaning...  They get dirty, and the breech area is hard to get at.   On the flip side, they will run for thousands of rounds between cleanings and still function 100%.

edited to add:  you will also need to replace extractor springs occasionally, but they are easy to replace, and only cost about $10 each.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top