Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2006 8:24:33 AM EDT
What is the legality of the MP5 "briefcase"?

This is the case the gun mounts in and can be fired while in the case.

The real ones are pretty expensive.  I would like to make a copy of one.

Are they legal?  I will have to SBR my BW-5 first, to make it fit.

Ooo, a fatter case so the Beta-C mag will fit, too!

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 10:40:55 AM EDT
[#1]
It's just a briefcase.

I know you can put an MG in it with no problem, but I'm not sure if you can put a SBR in without registering it as an AOW.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 11:12:18 AM EDT
[#2]
The only thing I see is that it becomes a "CONCEALED WEAPON" and ifg your state prohibits CCW's, you can't use it!!

OTOH, if you do get a CCW and you should be OK!!

These Briefcases were made for MP5K's, so get a BW89 and slap it into a Samsonite!!

You can isnstall the Claw Mount into a Samsonite and make the Barrels attachment easily!!

Y
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 11:41:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I live in Tennessee.  NOT a blue state, everything short of WMD's is legal here!

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 11:47:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 1:25:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
IIRC, before you install a weapon in there, it has to be registered as an AOW.

What if it is already registered as an SBR and has the sliding stock attached?

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 4:27:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

This is something that must be investigated and a Letter must be requested from BATFE!!

Y
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 4:28:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I live in Tennessee.  NOT a blue state, everything short of WMD's is legal here!

Gotta Love TN!!!

Y
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 4:29:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What if it is already registered as an SBR and has the sliding stock attached?

I think SBR Overrides AOW!!

But call BATFE, or better yet, write them an letter and request one from them, this should cover your Butt!!

Y
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 6:11:26 AM EDT
[#9]
To be completely legal, you have to file a form 1 in order to make the 'AOW briefcase'.  Since you are the manufacturer of the AOW weapon, your cost is $200.  Upon reciept of your tax stamp, you can assemble the briefcase with the weapon inside.  The ATF considers the modification of a standard briefcase into a weapon system as a build, similar to building a SBR.    

SBR only trumps an AOW, when you have a complete system.  A great example is the Remington MCS.  If you purchase the complete package that allows you to build an AOW or a SBS, then you have to pay the $200 tax.  If you buy the Breaching Weapon only (read AOW), you can get away with the $5 tax, since the AOW has already been built and is simply being transferred.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top