Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2006 12:32:46 AM EDT
Greetings everyone,
being a newbie to MP-5s and especially the SD version, I have a question.  Seems the high holy gods of luck have bestowed upon me our dept. "SD". Well in a nutshell, the thing is filthy and in need of a new extractor spring.  A have already managed to get a new spring from a vendor,( that took work) and know how to install it. I just wondered if there are any issues in terms of cleaning, regarding the suppressor assy/area? Perhaps a silly question, but just looking to cya.
Thanks
Bikeboy
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:01:17 AM EDT
[#1]
There is a barrel/port brush available for cleaning.

It's round, about the diameter of the silencer, maybe 2 inches long and the inside looks a lot like a car battery post cleaner. It screws on to the end of your silencer as the silencer is the handle. It's been a long time since I have seen the tool so I could be off on the size.

Contact Mark McWillis at trosusa (he's in Dundee,OR.) for availability.

HTH
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 6:34:41 AM EDT
[#2]
If you have access to an ultrasonic parts cleaner, that's the way to go... Assuming your department doesn't have one, check with a local auto or transmission shop. They have the bigger units to clean automatic tranny parts, etc. If you're not familiar with this technology, it's basically the same thing as the little box the jeweler puts your rings into to make them sparkley new.  It uses ultrasonic sound waves to vibrate all the crap out of whatever you're cleaning.

The best part about these things is, they use regular tap water and laundry soap! The unit heats the water up a little, then you put the disassembled weapon in a basket which sits down in the stainless steel tank. You let it sit in there for about ten minutes. You'll be amazed at the crap that boils up out of every nook and cranny on a typical subgun. Once it's clean, you take out the parts, blow them off with compress air, then oil the heck out of them.

The cleaner is actually forcing the soaping water in to force out the crud. In doing so, it removes EVERY TRACE of oil, along with carbon, powder, gunk, etc. So when the weapon is removed, the metal is oil-free and VERY vulnerable to rust, hence the need to oil it down with a spray on oil like RemOil, etc. It won't hurt the gun's finish, and the only thing I would avoid is don't put any wood in the cleaner (remove wood grips, etc.).

Don't be suprised if you get to use one, you'll want to go out and buy one, immediately. A cleaner that's about 20" long to fit disassembled MP5's, Uzi's, etc. will run you about $1500. We use one of these for all our suppressed weapons and it cleans the heck out of the can...
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:00:59 AM EDT
[#3]
P.M. sent.  ARKAR
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top