Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2006 3:31:47 PM EDT
I bought a set of wooden furniture for my PTR 91 from RTG in Arizona and refinished with linseed oil.  I have noticed a difference in the buffer located in the original plastic buttstock that came with the PTR as compared to the wooden surplus buttstock which is probably from German or some European military stockpile of old G3 or HK 91 parts.  The buffer in the wooden buttstock is simply a small metal "knob" whereas the PTR buffer is a large plastic button.

Is it okay to use the surplus wooden buttstock?  From what I understand the PTR 91 is a clone of the old G3 / HK 91 design which goes back many years which would indicate the wooden buttstock is okay.  

Any comments are appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:58:34 PM EDT
[#1]
The buffer in the vintage stock is the correct factory buffer. ( there is a spring behind it inside the stock)

The PTR sometimes ships with an original buffer but newer ones seem to have this replacement thing in it. I have not heard much good about it. There are "failure" pics floating around.

Use the factory woody and you will be fine.

JR
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:55:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Any barrel clearance problems with the forearm on the PTR-91? Thought about getting a set for mine.

Thanks,

Bill
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:52:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Bill,

The wooden forearm fits nicley on the PTR.  I had trouble using the retainer pin that came with
the plastic forearm in that it would not fit in the hole for the wooden forearm.  RTG had included
pins with the wooden set and I ended up using those.  To be honest I cannot tell any difference
in the two pins (plastic stock pin versus wooden stock pin) when I hold them side by side but
there is a difference.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top