Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2006 1:54:17 PM EDT
I shot at the range last weekend and bought 80 rnds of .308 ... Argentina was the country of origin.  It seemed very underpowered and only ejected 8-10 feet.  It also felt like the carrier was hitting the buffer alot slower...almost like it was delayed.  Normally, I've used Portugese ammo and had no problems and positive 30+ foot ejection.  I don't have feeler gauges but I can put a magazine cover between the bolt and carrier after dry firing.,..so there is some bolt gap.  I need to get feeler gauges...  Anyhow...I need to try some port ammo again to see if it was just underpowered rounds...so any input?

CMS
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:26:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone?  Could this be a bolt gap problem or just weak ammo?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:06:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Although I've never shot any Argentine ammo through my clones it sounds to me like it's not loaded as "hot" as the Port. For piece of mind though you should get yourself a decent set of feeler gauges. Just my O2.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:56:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like a bolt gap issue to me.  Bolt gap should be between 0.25 and 0.50 milimeters.  

Disassemble the bolt and look to see if the locking piece is sitting in the bolt correctly.  The roller locking plate could be broken, o rthe roll pin that holds the plate could be too far down into the bolt, preventing the locking piece from seating fully into the bolt.

Or... I could be all wet, and it could be crappy ammo.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:30:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I think I'll try some other ammo before I start buying parts...but I'd like to get some feeler guages.  Anyone have any good leads on where to get a decent set?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:50:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Anyone have any good leads on where to get a decent set?

PEP Boy's or Discount Auto has them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top