Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2006 4:09:34 AM EDT
 My HK94 (with a shortened NFA 8.6" barrel) is sighted in at 25 yards with a Aimpoint ML2 shooting 'standard' military 124 gr FMJ ammo, (thanks to the guys who answered my other post) I've been invited to shoot an upcoming match with targets out to 200 yards.  I'm a good shot but always have shot within 100 yards, or less.
 My question is, what would the holdover be at the 200 yard range, and what would be considered the max practical range with this weapon and mil issue 9mm -- #1 for HITS on target, and #2 for effective stopping power? Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:22:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I've never shot my 94 at 200 Yds!!

But...

I might do it soon!! The CMMG 3 Gun match is coming up and I might want to shoot my IGF Converted 94!!

I'm just going to have to do some testing!!

Go to the range!!  Test!!!  It's only Ammo!!

Y
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:30:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I have an MP-5 never shot over 100 yards at a man size target. I would try (on a IDPA target) One head leagth above the head. Then go up or down as needed  Hope your shooting at paper targets!
Do not think steel is going down at that range.  Like the one before said " Go to the range and see"  Then let us know!!!

Also what is this  The CMMG 3 Gun match?   Where is it? What three guns can you use?

PITA45

YOU GIVE PEACE A CHANCE.....  I WILL WATCH YOUR BACK JUST IN CASE IT DOES NOT WORK!!!!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:09:23 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have an MP-5 never shot over 100 yards at a man size target. I would try (on a IDPA target) One head leagth above the head. Then go up or down as needed  Hope your shooting at paper targets!
Do not think steel is going down at that range.  Like the one before said " Go to the range and see"  Then let us know!!!

Also what is this  The CMMG 3 Gun match?   Where is it? What three guns can you use?

PITA45

YOU GIVE PEACE A CHANCE.....  I WILL WATCH YOUR BACK JUST IN CASE IT DOES NOT WORK!!!!

In 3 gun you shoot Pistol, Rifle and shotgun!!

This is the link for the CMMG Match (Fayette, MO April 29th and 30th)

http://www.fireforeffect.biz/

I'll be testing my 94 at 200 yds this weekend (Steel IPSC Targets)

I hope they work OK!!

Y

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:34:37 PM EDT
[#4]
What kind of bullet drop does a 9mm have at that distance?  Anyone have a guess?  I can't find anything online.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:55:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Using a ballistic calculator with the following info:

V=1250
BC=.123 (typical 9mm 124gr)
sight in= 25M
sight ht= 1.5"

Drop@200M is 45 inches and change, so maybe a 1.5-2 torsos above the target will be the aim point.

100 FPS in either direction only varies the drop by about 5".

A 10 MPH crosswind will put you 18" off at that distance, though, so you have to judge the wind very carefully.

Bullet velocity at that range is around 870 FPS, so as far as stopping power not that far from an MP5SD at 25M.

HTH
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:54:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Does your calculator give you a drop for 100 yards if you have boresighted it?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 10:29:23 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Does your calculator give you a drop for 100 yards if you have boresighted it?

Straight line drop at 100M is 14 inches for the same load data.

By way of comparison, a 77gr MK262 mod 1 out of an M4 drops less than 3 inches at 100, so you can see that the 9mm is getting out of its comfort zone beyond CQC ranges, at least ballistically.  Terminally it should still be pretty effective at 200, though.

HTH
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:43:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Allright I tried to do some semiscientific evaluation of the HK 94 at 100 yards, see:

http://hkpro.websolv.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=343661&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=93&fpart=1

(if link doesn't work, it is hkpro.com, under "HK Boards" and then "Range Report"
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:34:58 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Allright I tried to do some semiscientific evaluation of the HK 94 at 100 yards, see:

http://hkpro.websolv.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=343661&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=93&fpart=1

(if link doesn't work, it is hkpro.com, under "HK Boards" and then "Range Report"

HK pro is a blocked site where I now find myself (and will be for a while).  Can you post a cliff's notes version here?

TIA

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:02:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Here are my notes.  How is HKPRO blocked?

Tried my HK 94 at 100 yards today, to see what it is capable of.

The gun is a refinished California DOC HK 94. Williams Trigger Specialties trigger adjustment at 4.0 pounds. The scope is a BSA 6-24x. I can’t remember where I ordered the mount from but it is not a real expensive one (but it seems to be quite good). The ammo was Black Hills 115gr FMJ.

How good is the shooter? Objectively, I can average 1 MOA with an AR15 varminter rifle and premium ammo out to 200 yards.

Conditions were not great. 14 mph wind out of 9 O’clock. 53 degrees F with 61% humidity.

The results: By the time I got on paper, I only had time to do three properly controlled groups (4.1”, 6.3”, 3.2”) for an average of 4.5”

Notes: The crosswind definitely did not help. The drop on the comb made me put my jaw on the stock to see into the scope. I will try to tape something there to create a riser so I can properly place my cheek on the stock. Next time I will do a larger number of groups.

P.S.: It was worth it just for the looks I was getting!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:47:24 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Here are my notes.  How is HKPRO blocked?

I am currently in a place where the only web access is filtered (it's very sandy here).  I figure it's only a matter of time before this URL gets discovered by some egghead in an office and it gets 'websensed', too.  Pretty depressing. I have no idea why HKpro is banned.

thanks for the info on the test

How many shots per group?  Were your groups walking horizontally (possibly indicating a crosswind problem) or were they pretty uniform?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:51:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Oh I get what you mean by blocked now.  My work does that too and it is annoying.

I fired three shot groups.  They were being pushed about 2 inches to the right by the wind.  It is certainly one of the windier days I have been at that range.  But the wind was relatively constant.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:01:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Keep safe now!!

Them sandy places can be dangerous!!

Y

Quoted:

I am currently in a place where the only web access is filtered (it's very sandy here).  I figure it's only a matter of time before this URL gets discovered by some egghead in an office and it gets 'websensed', too.  Pretty depressing. I have no idea why HKpro is banned.

thanks for the info on the test

How many shots per group?  Were your groups walking horizontally (possibly indicating a crosswind problem) or were they pretty uniform?

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:24:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for all the info guys. With that amount of holdover at 200 yds, I'll stick with the AR15.  But I was pleased to hear that it (may) still be terminal at that range.  And yes, I'm shooting paper targets.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top