Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2006 5:49:00 AM EDT
What are peoples thoughts on putting Loctite on the threads of a muzzle brake on a 91 pattern rifle?

My specifics are a JLD PTR "heavy" barrel, a JP Enterprises recoil Eliminator comp and which Loctite should I use?  Blue (removeable), red (lotsa heat to remove) or ???

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:01:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Are  you having problems with it unscrewing?  If not, tighten it up with wrench if it has flats or a strap wrench.  If you are having problems with it unscrewing or loosening, take my advice, use blue if you EVER think you will want to remove it.  I had a flash hider installed from the factory (DSA FAL) with Red loctite and it took 20 minutes with a torch to heat it up so I could remove the flash hider.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:33:00 AM EDT
[#2]
You'll be fine using the blue.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:00:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I went with blue, the heat required to release red is hard to generate without a torch and I am not a torch guy.....mine have stayed put just fine.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:08:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a FMP G3S that I wish I had Loctite'd the flash hider on.
During a rather "excided" blast of bump firing, the flash hider unscrewed itself and I shot it off.
I didn't realize this until I was done firing. The barrel threads are screwed up beyond repair.
It look's like they were peeled from the end of the barrel.
My major concern is that I "tweaked" the end of the barrel. Not just screwed up the threads, but "bent" the end of the barrel.
I haven't shot it since.
I feel ashamed of myself for doing something this foolish.
I ordered a Smith Vortex to replace the FMP flash hider.
I am torn between just having the barrel rethreaded, or having it shortened to 16" and having the Vortex perm attached.
Any help would be welcome.
I will post some pics as soon as possible.
Thanks,
pas59
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:50:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Slow heat is the key if you use red. We use the stuff making 14K gold fishing swivels.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:06:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Slow heat is the key if you use red. ...

For future reference, what sort of slow heat, how much, how long?  I have always seen people use a propane torch to loosen it, but I would sure like to know a different technique...especially if I can avoid the torch.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 12:19:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Slow heat is the key if you use red. ...

For future reference, what sort of slow heat, how much, how long?  I have always seen people use a propane torch to loosen it, but I would sure like to know a different technique...especially if I can avoid the torch.

Well you use the propane torch, just heat it slow not with a huge flame. Wave the flame all over the threaded area of the FH. We you see some smoke or a lil flame pop out around the FH it should be ready to come off. I use this method on gold ,so it is even tricker not to scorch the metal too much.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top