Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2006 4:48:58 AM EDT
I have a modified (clipped, not pinned) three position metal lower that I use on my 91 with my registered sear.
When this lower was modified, instead of a shelf, a rod was installed to engage the rear of the magazine housing.
The problem is, one end of the rod has come loose from it's weld/solder/attachment. This is causing the front of the entire trigger housing to rotate down/out of the gun when firing. Not a good thing. I can "pop" the rod back into place, but it won't stay there under stress.
What to do? I can solder, but I don't weld (as if I would there). What else? J.B. Weld, High temp. epoxy, etc....?
Other option, buy a new lower. Where? How much?
Gordon Miller has plastic lowers, clipped and pinned, on his website, for $130.00. These would appear to work. Will do that if I have to, but would I also need a new, longer selector too?
Any other options? Got a shoot coming up in less than three weeks.

Thanks!

HKO
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:11:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a piss-poor way to clip a lower.  If it were me, I'd spend the $$$ and get a plastic one(and a new selector) that's been properly done.

Going to Camden, are we?  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:28:22 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Sounds like a piss-poor way to clip a lower.  If it were me, I'd spend the $$$ and get a plastic one(and a new selector) that's been properly done.

Yeah, that's what I'm sayin'...

Go here, and scroll down to the fourth picture. Mine's like the one on the right, a converted MG lower. They just 'tacked' in a rod.

Think I oughta go with Miller ($130.00 + $65.00 for the selector) ?
...or do you have another recommendation?
And where can I get one with pictograms?

Going to Camden, are we?  

You bet.
You been? Going? It's a nice shoot.

Oh, and while I've got ya 'on the phone', can you recommend a compensator for the 91?

Thanks.

HKO
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:00:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Seeing how it's broke anyhow, here's a quick, cheap, 'band-aid' fix 'till you get a new one.

Break that pin completey out, cross drill the housing, then put a hex-head cap screw all the way through and nut it off on the opposite side.  Wouldn't look real purdy but it would work just as well as what you have/had.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:24:55 AM EDT
[#4]
for compensators I use a DTA mil brake on mine.

No longer made, hard to find, but works like a champ.

As mine is not select fire, I really dont need it... buy me a Smith Enterprises Vortex flash hider for the 91 and I'll trade you straight across....
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:03:07 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Going to Camden, are we?  

You bet.
You been? Going? It's a nice shoot.

Went in '03, can't make it this year.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:38:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Seeing how it's broke anyhow, here's a quick, cheap, 'band-aid' fix 'till you get a new one.
Break that pin completey out, cross drill the housing, then put a hex-head cap screw all the way through and nut it off on the opposite side.  Wouldn't look real purdy but it would work just as well as what you have/had.

Ya know, that's not a bad idea, but where can I get a powder-coated hex bolt?  

Sorry you can't make Camden. How about the Fall shoot?

Gonna try to make the Creek, too.
I NEED STUFF!  

HKO
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:41:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
for compensators I use a DTA mil brake on mine.
No longer made, hard to find, but works like a champ.
As mine is not select fire, I really dont need it... buy me a Smith Enterprises Vortex flash hider for the 91 and I'll trade you straight across....

I remember reading some good things on the DTA. Let me think on that.

Thanks!

HKO

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:01:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

If it's only a temporary fix, why bother ?

Doubt it,  but I'll definately be at the October 'Creek'  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:45:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If it's only a temporary fix, why bother ?

Doubt it,  but I'll definately be at the October 'Creek'  

(Foghorn Leghorn) "I say, that's a joke, son!"(Foghorn Leghorn)  

It really isn't a bad idea at all.
I'll look at that.

Are there any other sources of lowers w/selectors?

HKO
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:38:11 PM EDT
[#10]
try Adam Webber, you can find him on HKpro

or this guy, 175 , but not clipped and pinned, includes selector

Link to G3 Navy Style for SEF internals

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:04:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm believe hk4evr (Adam) will clip any lower you buy from him for a nominal fee.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:02:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Here's a quote by hk4evr from HKPRO regarding clipping lowers:

Price for the clipping and pinning is $45 per plastic lower housing with an extra $5 for return shipping via USPS priority mail to you. Turn around time has been about a week or so lately.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top