Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2006 6:15:15 PM EDT
I bought an HK SL8-1 last year for a pretty good price.  It's mint and has only ~200 rounds thru it.
I originally bought it as a G36 conversion project, but was uneducated and didn't realize that due to the design of the -1 model that it could never take G36 mags.  It can be used with AR-15 mags with the TopNotch magwell/bolt/stock conversion.

Is it worth it to keep this rifle, given the above?  If I keep it, should I convert it, or will it hold better value as a stock rifle?  Since they are no longer imported, will the value rise?

Any advice will be appreciated!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:47:06 PM EDT
[#1]
No, Don't keep it.  Sell it to me.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:56:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, you can use G36 mags with it if the receiver is milled out and you get ahold of a G36 mag well, AND do the Top Notch conversion or otherwise get enough US-made parts.  In order to satisfy 922(r) you must either replace enough parts with US made versions, or you can SBR it in which case 922(r) no longer applies.  See HKPRO.com for more info.

Thanks,
James
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:41:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Top Notch sells two kits, both of which you'll need.

The first kit allows you to use AR-15 mags on it, and has the requisite amount of parts, when combined with a US-made AR mag, to be legal.

The second kit comes with enough other parts so that a US-made mag is no longer required.  It replaces the AR-15 magwell with a G-36 magwell, and I believe also comes with one G36 mag.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:23:20 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Top Notch sells two kits, both of which you'll need.

The first kit allows you to use AR-15 mags on it, and has the requisite amount of parts, when combined with a US-made AR mag, to be legal.

The second kit comes with enough other parts so that a US-made mag is no longer required.  It replaces the AR-15 magwell with a G-36 magwell, and I believe also comes with one G36 mag.

Top-Notch does not sell a kit that includes a G36 magwell and G36 Mag.  Where did you come up with that one?  I have kept up with the Top-Notch Website and I have never seen one offered and I have spoke to Wendy about this and was told they don't offer a kit like this.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:41:06 AM EDT
[#5]
You keep up with things REAL well.

Email Top Notch.

They *DO* have such a kit.

If you trust their webpage to be indicative of what they do or do not have, you're going to be in for a rude awakening.

Half of the stuff on the webpage is not in stock, and at least the same amount of stuff is not listed on the webpage.

www.hk-54.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=738&highlight=g36

Todd himself confirms that such a kit exists.  Please note that I said I *BELIEVE* it comes with a G36 mag.  It may not come with it any longer, or it may never have come with it.  This is the only part I'm confused about.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:46:55 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have spoke to Wendy about this and was told they don't offer a kit like this.

Wendy was correct - technically.

She, with either Special Weapons or Tactical Weapons Training Academy, does NOT offer a kit like this.

Wade, with Top Notch, does.

Why Wendy wouldn't tell you such a kit exists from Top Notch is beyond me.  She's been the one that has told a number of other people about it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:11:52 PM EDT
[#7]
So, the kit that Top Notch doesn't carry consists of:

(1) HK Factory G36 Mag Well
(1) HK Factory G36 Mag
(1) US-made trigger
(1) US-made sear

Utilizing this non-existant kit, Top Notch will not install the trigger parts in your lower, nor will they make the additional modifications to the mag well area that are required.

Once they are not completed with this work, they will not test fire the rifle.

They will not charge you $380 + about $35 return shipping for this kit, since, you know, they don't carry it.

<sarcasm OFF>

Email [email protected] if you want to order one of these kits.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top