Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2006 3:35:22 AM EDT
Yesterday I stopped at a local gun shop I do not regular very often.  Looking around I found a SAR-8 rifle leaning on a rifle rack in the corner.

It looked in decent shape to me, has definetly been fired (brass marks on receiver), has OD furniture, and what appears to be a muzzle break (I'm not that up on HK style rifles).

Anyway in looking around here I understand that later model SAR-8s used cast aluminum receivers rather than steel.  Any way to tell the difference between the steel and aluminum receivers?

Also, should the cast aluminum receivers be avoided?  Once again not being up on everything that is HK style rifles I wouldn't know good from bad.  

One thing I did notice is that unlike some of the CAI CETMEs I've seen around this thing felt 100% solid and there was no difficulty using the cocking handle.  

The reason I ask is that the price is respectable and I am wondering if it is priced that low because it has a crappy receiver, is broken, or just a POS.  Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:53:18 AM EDT
[#1]
If the receiver has a crinly finish and/or an integral scope rail, it's oneof the later ones that Springfield sold with the aluminium receiver. They were so bad it got to the point where SA wouldn't even repair them anymore; they would just offer you an M1A in exchange.

If it has a black sheet metal stamped receiver, and the only markings are "SAR-8" and the Springfield Armory stuff, it's one of the Greek-manufactured on HK tooling guns, and worth ~ $1200.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:17:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a SAR8 with the aluminum reciever and havent had any problems with it; however, after reading about numerous failures I am somewhat reluctant to shoot it anymore.  I have spoken with SA and they said that there have been no recalls on the weapon, but if there is something wrong with it they most likely will not be able to repair it because they have a very limited parts supply.  They will either refund the original purchase price if you can provide a reciept or give you a M1A in exchange(probably a better deal since the M1A has a higher retail value).  Thats just my .02.  I wish that something would go wrong with mine so that I could trade it in.    Any sugestions?[}:(

Best Regards,
BJohnson
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:23:39 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
They will either refund the original purchase price if you can provide a reciept or give you a M1A in exchange(probably a better deal since the M1A has a higher retail value).

I don't think I'd want one of the 'new' M1A's either. They've taken a nose dive in quality too.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:47:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I also have one of the aluminum SAR's, I have about 3000 rounds thru it, never had it so much as burp.  The barrel and receiver are still tight etc.  For what I paid at the time, (way before I knew about Jason at IGF or JDL were around), it was a good deal.  I know that the guy who has a friend who changes out the snacks in vending machines in the plant at SA heard this or that or whatever.  But SA no longer has parts, so they will swap them out for M1A's.  It was limited run at a time when SA still did a lot of imports for firearm accessories and parts.    

All that said, unless someone has a smokin deal on one, I would pass and go JDL, that will be my next HK.   No matter how you cut it the steel receivers are better according to the experts like Jason.   With a JDL going for 800.00 I would go that route, I think you will be better served in the long run.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:55:58 AM EDT
[#5]
From what I understand the onew with Greek made recievers are supposed to be equal or better than HK. The AL recievers are easy to ID, they are big and blocky, look like Frankenstein.
I've also heard the reason SA doesn't service them is parts.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:13:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top