Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2006 10:58:43 AM EDT
I can't help it.   I'm used to cheap Hk-91 knock-offs that shot 1,000,000 MOA.  I'm very seriously considering the PTR-91 w/ widehandgaurd. Found one but it ain't cheap. About 1K. hock.gif

I'm avoiding the M1A / AR10 options because they are too pricy!!hoot
Will I be able to shoot like this with the PTR-91??

Jim
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:03:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I am easily able to shoot 3 inch groups at 100 yards with my standard PTR 91 to which I've added the wide handguard. No special ammo, just some surplus Radway Green and South African.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:08:51 AM EDT
[#2]
,,, with good ammo the rifle certainly can, mine will do about 2 MOA at 100 yards with the delinked Portugese ammo and me shooting the #2 apperature.

Caveat that was after a Bill Sprinfield trigger job, don't think I could have done it with the factory stock trigger on any HK or clone.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:52:55 AM EDT
[#3]
My HK91 will shoot MOA all day long.  An HK91 for precision shooting really needs some trigger work.  I had a friend of mine do a 2 stage trigger that breaks right at like 1.5 lbs.  I'm told it's better than a PSG1 trigger by HKPRO himself when he shot it.

Anyway, I have no idea how clones shoot, but a real 91 should shoot MOA with good ammo.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:38:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a "stock" PTR-91(F) with a wide HG, leapers mount, and a Burris Fullfield II 1.75-5x scope and I generally average ~1.5in groups with Lake City 7.62mm @ 100yds.  The set-up is rock solid and I am happy with the results (i.e. I do not plan to go into battle brandishing my HK91 clone, zombies...maybe).

-JZ

ETA:  The whole set-up cost me ~1.1K.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:13:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Trigger job is a must.
I sent mine to Bill Springfield ,and payed him $50.

I got it back in around 10 daysfrom the day I shipped it ,
and he's in Colorado while I'm in PA.

You should also beware that the sight radius is different between these rifles.
I think it's 18 inch for the PTR and 22 for the M1A.
M1A sights are a little more precise.

With a trigger job,3X scope,and Port surplus my  PTR averages 1.5 MOA.

That's at 100 yards.

The M1A also has a longer barrel ,so it has a higher velocity and less bullet
drop at further ranges.
If you don't plan on shooting past 500 yards ,you'll never notice it.

(I don't)

I don't often shoot past 300 yards.

Less money than the DSA  or M1A ,
more money for ammo.

Buy it ,put holes in stuff.  

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:22:10 AM EDT
[#6]
It will shoot 3moa easy.  I dont' know about PTR's but real HK's actually have a freefloat barrel if put together correctly.  The tripple frame shouldn't touch the barrel.  Mine shoots 2moa with Port surplus and even a little better when I can find some hirtenberger.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:47:14 AM EDT
[#7]
The PTRs certainly have the intrinsic accuracy inherent in them to that .  
However, I do find I can do bit better with my M1A but thats due to the better sights.

At least for my eyes, my M1A sights allow me to group better and more consistantly
than with my HK or any of my HK clones.  You may find this same thing happening and
you may not.  In any case I still think you'll be satisfied with the PTRs accuracy.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:22:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Dude just eliminate the sight out of the equasion. What do you call it,' mechanical accuraccy'? Whats the accuracy whithout human error? When the rifle is in a vise and someone pulls the trigger with a string or something.

thats what i want to know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top