Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2006 4:21:30 PM EDT
Got a HK51 conversion. Have two problems. Fisrt is it shoots loads next round but does not travel back enough to cock the hammer. The stock has the shorter rod and spring cols removed as it should have. Second is the bullet goes the the target sideways. Tried it within 20' of the target and it still leaves a nice cut in the paper the same size and shape as a bullet on its side. It has a barrel extension tacked around the short barrel to give is the legal length. Bullet hitting the extension maybe? Any ideas or suggestions welcome. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:25:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Although I openly admit I know nothing about the HK51, I do know that sideways bullets can be linked to striking something on the muzzle.

I would expect to see that your bullets are hitting the extension for sure.

Tag for more info...
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:18:47 AM EDT
[#2]
What locking piece are you using?

Do a visual on the bore/barrel extention, looking from the rear, check to see if they are in line.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:58:33 AM EDT
[#3]
It is difficult to see if the extension is off. Kind of get a tunnel view when I look through the bore. It is not enough to be obvious if it is off. Stock HK91 locking piece. I was going to order one of the 18's that had been suggested but at a 100 a pop and not sure if it will headspace with it I have been a little  worried about buying one. Guess I will have to register it and get the extension off to work out the problems. I was wondring if the 51's had problems with the bullet stablizing because of the short barrel but I guess not.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:16:21 AM EDT
[#4]
The #18 locking piece will have minimal, if any, effect on the headspacing. But it's always good to check it.

As to the keyholing, my guess is that the muzzle crown is screwed up.  Can you see any internal damage in the extention from bullet strikes?

Does the keyholing occur with different brands of ammo?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:15:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Who built it?  If it was vector, just send it back.  They will make it right.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:12:07 PM EDT
[#6]
The extension is only .360 wide and when I run  a rod down it I can feel it chatering down the side as it goes in. Pretty rough feeling. I was shooting some of the surplus Australian ammo that runs pretty good in my FAL.
Is an HK made for the presssures of a 308 Win or for the lower pressure 7.62x51NATO round?
The seller said he thought he got it from Volmer years ago but could not remember for sure where he got it
Guess it is time to send it off to someone. .  
Who is good at working on these?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:47:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Shouldn't be a problem using the Aussie ammo.

HK didn't stamp them(HK91's) .308 just to appease the anti's.

F.J. Vollmer & Co. did some really fine HK work.

Were it mine, I would call several of the HK smiths and speak with them about the problem(s), and go from there as to whom you should send it to.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:54:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Jayson from IGF did my conversion and it runs perfect.  Note the position of the cocking handle, I've heard that makes a hughe difference. Also, the locking piece is probably quite important, Jayson insisted the conversion would no be reliable without it.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:01:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Honestly, if someone was selling me a build and didn't know who built it, I wouldn't buy the gun...
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:50:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I've only seen mine and another 51 but they were both different.  Another person who is an HK smith said the same thing.

Best thing is to find someone good with HK's and let them work it out.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:04:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Honestly, if someone was selling me a build and didn't know who built it, I wouldn't buy the gun...

Asked before I bought it and was told the owner never shot it. I was not sure it would shoot when I bought it. I really did not even know that HK did not make 51's as the finish and remarking is done quite well.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:11:13 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I really did not even know that HK did not make 51's as the finish and remarking is done quite well.

Like I said,  Vollmer did some really fine HK work.  Every gun they made ran when it left the shop, If indeed it's a Vollmer gun.

Pull the stock and look on the right side near the pin holes for Vollmer's stamp.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:12:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Ditto on Jayson from IGF, does excellent work on everything he works on.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:24:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Here's my 51.  She runs perfectly!  I picked her up from Vector Arms.  No problems to date...yet.  Good Luck.

img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-2/10991/MSG51(Medium).jpg
img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-2/10991/MSG51(2)(Medium).jpg
img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-2/10991/MSG51(3)(Medium).jpg
img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-2/10991/MSG51(1)(Medium).jpg
img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-2/10991/DSC00355(Medium).jpg

Nice looking gun. Where did you get the over travel adjustment device?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:44:05 PM EDT
[#16]
No mark on the gun I could find. Can not find an 18 locking piece anywhere either. Anyone know where to get one ? Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:55:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
No mark on the gun I could find. Can not find an 18 locking piece anywhere either. Anyone know where to get one ? Thanks.

Is it possible that the previous owner "forgot" that the gun was built by Hesse or SW?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:31:51 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is it possible that the previous owner "forgot" that the gun was built by Hesse or SW?

That is the second useless post you have added.

The dealer I bought this from has had more firearms of all classes through his shop than anyone could keep up with. He was up front on any and all questions I asked him about it. He had a Fleming 51conversion right beside it that I could have chosen if I had wanted. In comparison of the two there was no real difference other that the Fleming ID on the other one. I doubt he would hesitate to make it right if I asked but why would I. He made it plain to me he had never shot the gun and had no idea if it shot well or not. It was my choice to buy it  so why in the world would I find fault with him or ask him to take it back?
It is an HK receiver that has been reworked and remarked as a 51.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:46:07 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is the second useless post you have added.

The dealer I bought this from has had more firearms of all classes through his shop than anyone could keep up with. He was up front on any and all questions I asked him about it. He had a Fleming 51conversion right beside it that I could have chosen if I had wanted. In comparison of the two there was no real difference other that the Fleming ID on the other one. I doubt he would hesitate to make it right if I asked but why would I. He made it plain to me he had never shot the gun and had no idea if it shot well or not. It was my choice to buy it  so why in the world would I find fault with him or ask him to take it back?
It is an HK receiver that has been reworked and remarked as a 51.

My fault, I was under the assumption that you could have been ripped off...

With what you are describing, I highly doubt you bought a flemming...

Your best bet would be to ID who made the gun - demand a repair or, send the rifle to IGF...

I'm sorry for the trouble...
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:06:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Found one of my problems. The gun is firing enough to cock the hammer. Trigger does not return forward like it should unless you give it a slight push. Springs bad or miss assembled I guess.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top