Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2006 2:36:31 PM EDT
-removed-
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:05:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn, those are some blurry pictures......
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:51:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Why not just ask HK what they will do for you?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:57:32 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

That's because they'll start asking a buch of questions attempting to put blame on me...

It happened last time and I fought hard just to get them to replace the slide on my defective gun...

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:00:37 PM EDT
[#4]
little use of grease will do that
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:05:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Is an SD barrel an aftermaket part or a HK item??

If it's non HK, you may not have a case for replacement.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:51:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Is an SD barrel an aftermaket part or a HK item??

If it's non HK, you may not have a case for replacement.

That is kind of what I was thinking. The blame may actually BE on you. HK's seem to be pretty good firearms in my experience, if you have experienced the same problem twice, and you are using an aftermarket barrel - it might be the barrels fault.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:24:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:28:38 PM EDT
[#8]
If it was me,  I'd shoot it until it quit working properly then complain.  That small crack probably won't have any affect on the function of your USP,  but if it continues to grow it may become a problem.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:29:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
What is appropriate to ask of HK in this situation?

Ask them for a Sig or a Glock  

Seriously though... if you really like the gun and they do nothing, then pay them for another slide.
If you are sick of HK like the rest of us.... sell the gun for parts and get a Sig or Glock, then give HK the finger !

Also, like the others said... if you have anything aftermarket on it.... you had better slap that OEM barrel in it when you call them

WCS, you have to buy a new slide  

Let us know what they do for you ok  

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:30:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If it was me,  I'd shoot it until it quit working properly then complain.  That small crack probably won't have any affect on the function of your USP,  but if it continues to grow it may become a problem.

I'm not going to lose an eye or a finger because I didn't want to get my pistol repaired...

No thanks, I'll throw it out the window before I fire a gun with a faulty major component...
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:38:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not going to lose an eye or a finger because I didn't want to get my pistol repaired...

No thanks, I'll throw it out the window before I fire a gun with a faulty major component...

I have a death wish I guess.  

I understand your concern.  

IMO as long as it's functioning properly it's not broke yet.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:46:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The above really does seem to be bad advice. although.........you might be able to win a lawsuit and have a bunch of guns!!! (although without eyes or a trigger finger, I don't know what you would do to them)

Since SD is factory, I would ask them what they will do for you, politely explain the situation, don't demand or even ask for anything but a reply.

Then - Let us know. A lot of us here have a lot of influence, both in terms of the guns we buy and the guns that we convince others to buy. If they take care of you on their own then +1 for them, if they tell you to pound sand - never buy another one and let everyone else know - that is what really makes a difference in their customer relations - losing customers!

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:51:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:05:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Tag for outcome.  Good luck, and I hope they make it right for you.  Can you get a closer pic of the crack and the locking surface?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:06:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Ask them for a Sig or a Glock  

<snip>
If you are sick of HK like the rest of us.... sell the gun for parts and get a Sig or Glock, then give HK the finger !

This is a classic example of a member that is not technically a Troll, but is trolling for shitstorm replies- So Bones, like my dear departed grandmother used to say, "If you don't have anything constructive to say, then don't say anything at all"  

In other words, go find a GD topic that invites this kind of reply and have a ball.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:55:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Despite what some may think firearms don't have infinite life-cycles;

you bought the gun used. [did the warranty transfer? not likely.]

you switched out barrel the OEM barrel. [what does the manual say about non factory modifications? Oh it may be an H&K barrel, H&K didn't install it did they?]

you're shooting it suppressed. [likely an instant warranty void.]

Exactly what do you want them to do for you? Replace the gun?

If you bought a used car, beat the shit out of it for 3 years and didn't follow the factory maintenance schedule would you expect the manufacture to replace it when it crapped out?

Little wonder why H&K looks upon the Civy market as they do.  Man up and pay for it yourself, you got your nickles worth on the ride.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:49:41 AM EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:54:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Not sure about the USP9, but the SD comes with standard threaded barrel and a B&T Can with matching serial number. Attaching it wouldnt void the warrently.  But then again... It wasnt an SD.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:56:01 AM EDT
[#19]
The original barrel will be the one on the gun when shipped...

They will think it is their barrel that caused the problem.  Are you telling them you used the SD barrel and a suppressor?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:04:37 AM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:13:59 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

blah blah blah

If you have all the answers why are you posting here for advice?  

Heckler & Koch, Inc. Lifetime Limited Warranty

Heckler & Koch Firearms Purchased After January 1, 1998
A new Heckler & Koch firearm is warranted to the original retail purchaser only for the lifetime of the said original retail purchaser. This warranty applies only if the firearm was purchased from an Authorized Heckler & Koch Dealer.

What Will We Do - Heckler & Koch will, at its option, repair or replace without charge any Heckler & Koch firearm that fails due to a defect in materials or workmanship. Parts and labor are included. Repairs are warranted for the duration of the original warranty. If Heckler & Koch replaces a firearm under this warranty, you will receive a new lifetime limited warranty. Heckler & Koch will return replacement firearms to you freight prepaid.

snip

What Is Not Covered - This warranty does not cover defects or damage caused by: 1) unreasonable use; 2) failure to provide proper care or maintenance; 3) failure to comply with instructions in the owner's manual including improper installation of original HK or FABARM parts by the owner or his agent; 4) normal wear and tear for the degree of use; 5) rust or corrosion; 6) obstructions in the barrel; 7) excessive use . This warranty does not cover any claims made by the second or subsequent owner of any Heckler & Koch product.

ANY UNAUTHORIZED ALTERATION OR MODIFICATION OF THE FIREARM WILL VOID THIS WARRANTY. HECKLER & KOCH SHALL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY CLAIMS INVOLVING THIS FIREARM THAT RESULT FROM THE USE OF FAULTY, NON-STANDARD, REMANUFACTURED OR RELOADED AMMUNITION.

IN NO EVENT SHALL HECKLER & KOCH BE LIABLE FOR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you. The warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights, which vary from state to state.

BTW, only Knights and B&T are covered by warranty. CCFA is merely a B&T clone.

Have a nice day.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:23:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Okay,

I've owned a bunch of HK's. I've owned a few USP's. I've shot suppressed HK tacticals.

The problem looks to be that even though the barrel is an HK factory, the lock up shoulder does not mate to the slide properly. Barrels need to be fitted to slides for proper lock with a Browning type action. Even if it is by the same manufacterer. There are things called tolerances and they sometimes stack up at one side. Could even be the lock lugs on the bottom of the barrel. It simply is not "dropping in" as you would like.

The barrel needs to be fitted to the slide. Seems this is not an HK problem, but your problem as you installed it as a drop in, when it's not really a drop in part. Since it happened twice, you should know this now. HK is not going to eat this when they find out the facts.

What I'd do is take it to a local good gunsmith, get him to weld up and refinish the slide and fit it to the barrel for proper lock up. Shouldn't cost more than a $100-200 bucks.

This has nothing to do with a warranty issue, supressor, threaded barrels or anything else. It's the lockup on the slide/barrel. It is also dangerous to continue to fire it when the lockup is not correct.

Good luck to you and let us know what you do.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:44:40 AM EDT
[#23]
+1 on asking hk for a SIG,
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:47:11 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
IMO as long as it's functioning properly it's not broke yet.

the gun IS BROKE!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:28:07 AM EDT
[#25]
I would call them it cant hurt.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:49:37 PM EDT
[#26]

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:57:28 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
They guy I called was very friendly...

He said they'll replace the OEM barrel and slide...

But, if you continue to use the threaded barrel, you are just going to crack the next one. You still have the same issue. You will need to address the original problem which seems to be a lock up issue.

What is this, your third slide now?

If you were smart, you'd take that new slide/SD barrel to a gunsmith and get it fitted properly. Of course, the new barrel they send you will be worthless if you have the new slide mated to your threaded barrel.

Good luck with this. Hope you learn from the lesson.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:53:28 PM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:14:25 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
They guy I called was very friendly...

He said they'll replace the OEM barrel and slide...

See.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:34:08 PM EDT
[#30]
It sounds as if that barrel is at fault, have it checked out by a smith before you use it again.  Also isn't the barrel supposed to be fitted to the slide not the other way around.  )The last part was directed at the guy thinking the slide was fitted to the barrel.)
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:16:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Its not HK's fault that you installed a different barrel in a gun and it cracked the slide.

It was your own stupidity for not making sure the damn thing fit properly.  

If you think HK should fix it under warranty, send it in with your SD barrel dropped in.  Its only fair to send it in with the configuration you broke it in, and not put back in the original barrel that didnt cause the slide to crack.  

Nobody here is an HK apologist or whatever the fuck you said.  They're just pointing out the fact that its your own damn fault.

I hope HK reads this and instead of replacing your slide AGAIN , tells you to insert it up your ass.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:17:10 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's because they'll start asking a buch of questions attempting to put blame on me...

It happened last time and I fought hard just to get them to replace the slide on my defective gun...

Sorry bud, the gun isn't defective.  Its the guy pulling the trigger.

You fought hard to get them to replace something you were responsible for.  Sounds like you got alot more than you deserved.  What blows my mind is that you didnt learn from the first experience, and now want them to correct your mistake again.

Send it in with your SD barrel.

If I dropped a mopar stage 3 kit in my SRT4 and ended up blowing the motor because I didn't install it correctly, I'd realize it was my own damn fault.  I wouldn't put it back to stock and then take it to the dealer and expect them to repair it under warranty.   I wouldn't do it twice either.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:18:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top