Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2006 8:46:08 AM EDT
I am thinking of a 308 rifle, which PTR-91 16' or 20 and how does the fal from dsarms compare . thank
you all for the info p.s. great web site keep up the good work...........
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:31:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to AR15.com ECOO84

The debate over which is better HK91 (JLD) or FAL is never ending on ARF.com. It gets more complex when people ask which is better JLD, FAL, AR10 or M1A.

To me, it is personal choice. Which gun fits you the best and which gun is within your budget.

I two HK91s and two DSA FALs and one Springfield M1A.

I think both the HK91 and DSA FAL are great rifles and would never sell either one.

The pros for the 91.

No Gas system
Very reliable
cheap mags ($1)
Easy to use sights
Easy to field strip
Easy to change stocks,
Accurate

Cons
Heavy
heavy trigger (but can be changed)
HK parts are spendy

FAL pros:
Gas system (less recoil)
Bolt hold open
cock handle with in reach
cheap mags ($5)

Cons:
Gas system (can be too light)
Vertical stringing
not as accurate as a HK91

My favortie rifle is the HK91, so I am a little bias but both are great rifles.

Chris
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:17:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I think the PTRs are only offered in 16'' or 18'' barrels. If thats what you meant. I can tell you also that DSA has a lifetime warranty and JDL only one or two years. But I'm leaning towards a PTR rifle myself. It seems to have an edge on accuracy from what I have read here so far.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:45:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Have you shot either?  Find a friend with a CETME and give it a roll to see what the 91 feels like.  

I have both and they are both world class.  Battlefield accurate.  Eat decent ammo with utter reliability.  My DSA FAL carbine is like an AK - relentlessly reliable and easty to fedd and maintain.  Both are good companies.  Cheap mags and reasonably priced aftermarket parts available.

Flip a coin - you can't go wrong.  You will eventually get both anyway if you like powering-up with 308.

And load up on NATO surplus 308 ammo while it is still widely available.  There is a bit less on the market every year.  (I think the 91 doesn't like South African ammo as much as Port / Aussie / Belgian.)

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:12:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I posted this same question a month or so ago, so it helps to read old topics.

I went with a PTR for several reasons not the least of which was price.  You can get a JLD for 700-750 but a DSA is going to be more like 1100-1200.

I really like the JLD, but I know I will eventually own a FAL clone too when funds allow.

Seydou
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:11:23 PM EDT
[#5]
DSA just went up to $1595 base from $1495  I think that made up my mind for me, JLD it is.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:21:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Welcome. I got the PTR first (love it) then I had a FAL built. Eventually you'll have both.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top