Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2006 6:54:46 PM EDT
I have a JLD PTR91 and had a "shitty old time" with South African surplus .308 ammo. Damn near "tarred" the brass into the chamber from some kind of a bullet/case neck sealant those S.A. morons used. Is Wolf ammo okay to shoot in these? I have heard many good things about Wolf products. Or does the case's lacquered poly coating cause hang ups too? Thanks to all with knowledge or opinions! Dave
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:06:00 PM EDT
[#1]
if you read some of the older posts youd see that SA ammo uses a type of pine-tar almost in the seating of the bullet to the casing, it vaporizes and seals itself to the inside of your reciever, locking up the rollers......i made this mistake, took my 6 hours cleaning it, and shipping it back to JLD to make sure the rifle was in ok condition (turns out the charging handle was bent too/out of place slightly)...

in anycase, Wolf is good stuff to shoot in the PTR...dont worry about it, and the fact its steel cased is fine.  I read a huge article on PTRs in some gun magazine awhile ago, cant remember the name offhand...they reviewed a standard green ptr w/out flash hider, and a collapsable stock one with flash hider, both were pictured....anyone know what im talkin about?  

Wolf, Argentine, Portuguese, US, etc....all good....           no Paki, no Indian, no SA.....
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:26:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Have used some Wolf without a problem.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:16:52 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:24:55 AM EDT
[#4]
How's the velocity of Wolf out of one?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:26:34 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Another +1 gere.  Don't listen to the accessory queens about Wolf ammo it works great, also I beleive half the shit they say is made up.  Wolf is pretty dirty though so expect to clean.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:08:56 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Another +1 gere.  Don't listen to the accessory queens about Wolf ammo it works great, also I beleive half the shit they say is made up.  Wolf is pretty dirty though so expect to clean.

always clean...

also...PTR/G3 type rifles can accept polymer coated rounds, just not LAQUOR coated rounds...thats what messes them up...well...one other thing that messes them up
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:05:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Shiznit, I've got 980 rounds of the south african ammo sitting here waiting on my V51P which gets here tomorrow.  Should I trade it for something else or just shoot a little, clean a lot, shoot a little, clean a lot....?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:38:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Shiznit, I've got 980 rounds of the south african ammo sitting here waiting on my V51P which gets here tomorrow.  Should I trade it for something else or just shoot a little, clean a lot, shoot a little, clean a lot....?

SA is fine. I bought thousands of rounds of SA and never a problem. My JLD eats it up!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:54:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SA is fine. I bought thousands of rounds of SA and never a problem. My JLD eats it up!

SOUTH AFRICAN AMMO IS NOT GOOD TO USE IN PTR or G3 RIFLES!!!! LISTENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

CALL UP JLD AND ASK THEM, you will see then
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:08:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

SOUTH AFRICAN AMMO IS NOT GOOD TO USE IN PTR or G3 RIFLES!!!! LISTENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

BULL SHIT!!!
JLD TOLD ME IF THE 1ST BOX DID NOT GUN UP THE ACTION TO GO AHEAD AND FIRE IT OFF. THERE ARE GOOD BATCHES AND BAD. IT IS TOP QUALITY IF YOU GET A GOOD BATCH WHICH 90% IS GOOD STUFF!!!!!!!!! VICTOR TOLD ME THIS HIMSELF!!!!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:47:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BULL SHIT!!!
JLD TOLD ME IF THE 1ST BOX DID NOT GUN UP THE ACTION TO GO AHEAD AND FIRE IT OFF. THERE ARE GOOD BATCHES AND BAD. IT IS TOP QUALITY IF YOU GET A GOOD BATCH WHICH 90% IS GOOD STUFF!!!!!!!!! VICTOR TOLD ME THIS HIMSELF!!!!

ya ok go call bullshit...I bougt 980 rounds from AIM, 20 rounds into firing my PTR locked up, I had to DISASSEMBLE THE RIFLE in order to extract the round....go ahead and call bullshit again.  I am NOT LYING WHEN I SAY DONT USE IT, ...you run the risk of this stuff happening.  If you dont care about your $1000 rifle , by all means, run the shittiest ammo on the planet through it, but I wont ..thanks.

Victor told me NOT TO USE SOUTH AFRICAN AMMO, and then continued to explain why....

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:13:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BULL SHIT!!!

ya ok go call bullshit...I bougt 980 rounds from AIM, 20 rounds into firing my PTR locked up, I had to DISASSEMBLE THE RIFLE in order to extract the round....go ahead and call bullshit again.  I am NOT LYING WHEN I SAY DONT USE IT, ...you run the risk of this stuff happening.  If you dont care about your $1000 rifle , by all means, run the shittiest ammo on the planet through it, but I wont ..thanks.

Victor told me NOT TO USE SOUTH AFRICAN AMMO, and then continued to explain why....

I believe that you got a bad batch but most(90%) is good stuff. Victor told me if it was the good SA to run it as it is as good as the rest. I have probibly a little over 5,000 rounds of SA over the last 2 years and all has been 100%. Not very much bad SA floating around.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 12:02:47 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe that you got a bad batch but most(90%) is good stuff. Victor told me if it was the good SA to run it as it is as good as the rest. I have probibly a little over 5,000 rounds of SA over the last 2 years and all has been 100%. Not very much bad SA floating around.

None of my business between you guys, but geeze.

IMHO if you shoot your gun a lot, buy the absolute cheapest ammunition that you can possibly find. The cost of the ammunition is going to end up exceeding the cost of the gun anyways. Firing pricy ammo to avoid hurting your gun is basically going to mean either a) you don't fire your gun very much, or b) you could have bought a "spare" gun with the money you spent on the premium, or even "normal" ammunition.

I don't know about the SA part, it has worked fine in my guns, although I have only fired 280 rounds of it through my JLD. With the price being so close between SA and Wolf, I don't think I will fire anymore of it because of the chance - but to answer the original question: Firing ammunition that is going to cost you 2-3X as much as Wolf to avoid damaging your gun (even if the ammunition DOES damage your gun) is insane unless it is an irreplaceable collectible. (Then again you probably shouldn't be firing one of those at all)
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:06:51 AM EDT
[#14]
It works great in my HK91. Accurate too.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:51:18 AM EDT
[#15]
SA is quality stuff in the battle packs.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:30:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Okay, two questions:

1) Since it evidently got ignored: HOW does the muzzle velocity and such of Wolf compare to SA, Port, etc.? The AmmoFAQ points out that 5.56mm Wolf is sometimes underpowered. Anybody want to do a test?

2)Since evidently some SA works and some doesn't because of the use of some sealents on some types, is there anyway to tell "bad" SA from "good" SA?

There should be a 7.62mm AmmoFAQ.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:39:38 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
It works great in my HK91. Accurate too.

+1
But I did have a problem once with; I beleive that it was Portugues. Fouled it up good. eventually then weapon ceased to fire. Nothing a good bath didn't fix.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:06:19 PM EDT
[#18]
I shot 140 rounds of SA last week in my PTR91 and it ate it up.

No hiccups whatsoever. Accurate too.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:39:05 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Normal .308 speed out of my jld.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:10:14 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Can one tell from looking at the lot # on the outside of the battlepack rubber bags if they have the "bad" lot?  And what is the "bad" lot of SA ammo?  OR is it several lots? Or does anyone really know?

Tanks,
Eric
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:32:42 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Normal speed.

Is that 2600 feet per second, or really really fast?

Guess just wondering how you arrived at that conclusion? Chronograph? Or were you expecting the wolf bullet to kind of fall out of the barrel?

j/k I am really curious.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:27:24 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Normal speed.

Is that 2600 feet per second, or really really fast?

Guess just wondering how you arrived at that conclusion? Chronograph? Or were you expecting the wolf bullet to kind of fall out of the barrel?

j/k I am really curious.

Yep, chronograph. A great tool - One should have one if you don't already. All the BS goes right out the window - The Wolf .308 was right in the middle (normal speed) of velocity of what a 150 gr bullet suppose to be out of my JLD. Look at any reloading book for the answer.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:17:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Not sure if if helps much or not but from a 19" FAL I shot Wolf .308 in I was getting right at 2625fps for the 150gr FMJ.  It doesn't appear to be too far from what you would expect.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top