Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2006 12:46:29 PM EDT
The HK-94 ad on gunbroker

The seller makes the statement that this is not a CA DOJ gun.

Ummmm.... look at the rear sight....

what a clown.

unless of course I am way off base and this is part of the Navy SEAL contract for special mission HK-94s (accompanied by ceramic Glocks of course) that came from HK with K rear sight drums....

Now I bought a CA DOJ 94, I have no issue with them, but trying to pass them off for what they are not is pretty lame.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:53:22 PM EDT
[#1]
always possible someone liked the SP89(which had the open drum) rear sight better?  

if its a DOJ gun, its a pretty darn nice one, better than most I have seen.........well except mine :D
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:01:49 PM EDT
[#2]
He may simply not know any better.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:35:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Says it has an II date code. My DOC gun is a KB code.  Were any DOC guns dated before 1991?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:55:16 PM EDT
[#4]
My understanding is that there do exist DOJ guns that are not KB coded.

I also am pretty sure that gun has been refinished.
I say this based on noticeable wear on pistol grip in middle picture. If the grip is
that worn, the rest of the gun would not look new in box.

My guess is he knows...

I could be wrong though.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:40:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Stupid Question about the DOJ guns- what is the story behind them, I assume they are worn out.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:40:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a DOJ 94 that is date coded II.

Mine was refinished by Gordon Miller and it looks as good or better than the one in the auction.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:52:48 PM EDT
[#7]
"Stupid Question about the DOJ guns- what is the story behind them, I assume they are worn out."

There were about 400 or 500 guns that had been issued to the California Department of Corrections officers that were turned back into HK after many years of being issued.  The guns were inspected by HK and graded on an A, B, C, quality scale.  The guns were then sold to HK dealers who have then been selling them to us happy people.  There are a couple of unique things about these guns, for one the rear sights were replaced by SP89 sights (HK94 / MP5s have peep sights, the SP89 uses different sized notched sights), also there was engraved, very sloppily I might add, a Department of Justice serial number along the top of the guns.

Based on the reports from most people, and from my own experience, the guns show quite a bit of wear on the outside but are near perfect internally.  It seems that the officers of the Department of Corrections didn't get a lot of chances to shoot their guns.  Some don't have too much wear on the finish, but I have seen others that looked horrible with rusted spots and pitting in the receivers, though this is rare.  Most all of the guns would be wonderful with a refinish job.  

I had mine refinished and had the engraved serial number removed.  I also replaced the rear sight with the factory correct HK94 sight.  I think the gun looks fabulous and I am extremely happy with the finished product given the relatively low cost for such a nice weapon.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:27:28 PM EDT
[#8]
AllanW is on the money, I ordered mine sight unseen.
Must have got an A grade as had some external wear, internals were pristine. Almost zero wear marks on hammer, bolt, receiver internals etc. And mine was not electropenciled with any inventory control markings.

Currently is in process on a Form1 to becoming an MP5 (minus registered sear ).
These weapons are an excellent choice all the way around, but especially if you
are going to shoot it. No worries about New in box and all that.
Just get it and use it like it was made to be used.
So some may be worn, but I think they are vastly outnumbered by the good ones.

An excellent chance to get in on the HK94. The one I had back in the 80s I had bought used, and that thing had the crap shot out of it, both by original owner and then me.

So, I waited about 15 years and replaced my really used 94 with a barely used 94.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:43:17 AM EDT
[#9]
at least one of mine(DOJ/DOC 94's) is an II date.

some of the 94's that came in looked like that had beeb re-finshed at some point(before HK got them) and were showing wear thru the paint again, noticed this mostly on some of the barrels.

all the ones I saw looked great inside, alot looked great outside.........some looked like that been dragged behind a truck for a few years ;)

I think don't think these are the 400 sold in 1991 as shown on HKPro, as they are not all 1991 guns. pr maybe they were just sold in 1991, but some were left over stock from the ban.

I could not be happer with my DOJ 94's, neither needs a re-finish, the both shoot great and I like a few marks on my guns........that way I feel like I can use em like they were ment to be.........and not leave them in the safe

Quoted:
Says it has an II date code. My DOC gun is a KB code.  Were any DOC guns dated before 1991?

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:05:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Ditto on the great condition of these Kali guns.  Mine is hardly shot inside, minor wear outside. I posted these pics of mine on HKPRO when I got it:

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:01:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
My understanding is that there do exist DOJ guns that are not KB coded.

I also am pretty sure that gun has been refinished.
I say this based on noticeable wear on pistol grip in middle picture. If the grip is
that worn, the rest of the gun would not look new in box.

My guess is he knows...

I could be wrong though.

Looking at the picture I do not see "noticeable wear on pistol grip in middle picture". Agree that the price is way high but just do not see the wear.  What am I missing?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:06:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Those are different photos than the seller originally had posted.

Original photos clearly showed a K style rear sight and a worn grip.

If you get the pictured gun for 2799 with the pictured accessories .... that is a great deal.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:07:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Yep, photos are different today... looks like a nicer gun.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:11:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Here's my Dept of Corrections HK94 all trimmed down and ready to rock and roll!

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:50:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Is anybody still selling these Cali DOJ guns? or are they all gone?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:24:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes, still see ads every few days.  Check out sturmgewehr.com or hkpro.com ad boards... or the EE.Still about $2300 to $2500. Selection will get slim soon, though.  The prices for non-DOJ guns have fallen.  Good time for buyers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top