Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2006 6:56:20 PM EDT
Well it took me almost no time at all to melt the plastic handguards on my new PTR91, when I called them, they told me that the original plastic ones were intended for target shooting and not 3-gunners like me who shoot the gun fast, that I would indeed have to get a different type of handguard if I was going to use the gun like that.

So my question is, what is the best handguard option for the HK91 family wrt disapating heat?  Are the older fat/wide the best choice or is there a better version?

TIA for your insights.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:08:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I had the exact same problem and got the exact same response from JLD.  You can find the slim handguards w/ a heatshield on their website JLD, Inc. (I think they have them in stock), or you can search around the net to find a wide handguard (which I personally prefer).  I have both and think that they work the same to dissipate heat (and neither melt the plastic on the HG), but I prefer the feel and look of the wide HGs.  The biggest problem you are going to encounter is simply finding a wide HG.  I suggest checking the EE boards constantly.

-JZ
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:25:11 PM EDT
[#2]
What about a RAS hand guard?  That would probably be best for the heat.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:53:54 AM EDT
[#3]
The RAS may indeed be the best choice for your application.  

IMO you definately DO NOT want the slimelime forearm for rapid fire work. While I doubt you'll ever melt one, they get hot as hell, and very uncomfortable very quickly.

just my .02¢
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:51:22 AM EDT
[#4]
That's what gloves are for.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:03:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:50:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a wood stock set Ill sell ya dont think they will melt
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:30:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I may end up yet with wood....wonder if it chars, smokes, or burns when two shooters run back to back on a 36 round practice course....hmmm...better try one of those wide ones first....
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:08:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I may end up yet with wood....wonder if it chars, smokes, or burns when two shooters run back to back on a 36 round practice course....hmmm...better try one of those wide ones first....

wood will and may smoke,,depoednig on how you finish it.
It does get hot as hell even with the vent holes.
G3 slim's  work OK, untill you do 2-3 20 rnd mag dumps in a row then they get a lil hot.
I took my g3 slims and dremeld out the  areas where it looks like vents should be.  The slims have a metal heat gaurd also,,   cutting out the vents helped alil bit but  DONOT let your hand slip back onto the trunion area after rapid fire
The wide guards help alot but get  hot also alil bit,, but not much... what ever you do,,dont use the metal cetme modle B gaurds( if you find them) even tho they look cool and super vented,,  metal gets hot and your gonna be holding on to a oven burner lol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top