Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2006 11:28:38 AM EDT
lookin to see which parts count on a hk 91. i know it has to be less than 10 foreign but i want to what counts. thanks
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:08:37 PM EDT
[#1]
http://www.atf.treas.gov/regulations/27cfr178.html
Scroll down to page 941

(3) The repair of any rifle or shotgun which had been imported into

or assembled in the United States prior to November 30, 1990, or the

replacement of any part of such firearm.

(c) For purposes of this section, the term imported parts are:

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings

(2) Barrels

(3) Barrel extensions

(4) Mounting blocks (trunions)

(5) Muzzle attachments

(6) Bolts

(7) Bolt carriers

(8) Operating rods

(9) Gas pistons

(10) Trigger housings

(11) Triggers

(12) Hammers

(13) Sears

(14) Disconnectors

(15) Buttstocks

(16) Pistol grips

(17) Forearms, handguards

(18) Magazine bodies

(19) Followers

(20) Floorplates
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:52:09 PM EDT
[#2]
do all of those aply to the hk 91? so i would need 10 us parts for it to make it legal?ive seen more specific list for other guns that did not have as many listed
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:15:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
do all of those aply to the hk 91? so i would need 10 us parts for it to make it legal?ive seen more specific list for other guns that did not have as many listed

Its seven parts with a flash suppresor.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:19:15 PM EDT
[#4]
The answer is, it depends.

The list of "imported parts" that get counted are as mentioned above.  I will trim the list to which parts are applicable to building a semi-auto 91 pattern rifle.

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings
(2) Barrels
(4) Mounting blocks (trunions)
(5) Muzzle attachments
(6) Bolts
(7) Bolt carriers
(8) Operating rods
(10) Trigger housings
(11) Triggers
(12) Hammers
(13) Sears
(15) Buttstocks
(16) Pistol grips
(17) Forearms, handguards
(18) Magazine bodies
(19) Followers
(20) Floorplates

The answer depends upon which parts you intend on using.  If you're building a gun from a parts kit and are going to use that imported barrel & trunion, then you'll need two more "US" parts than if you were building a rifle with a US-made barrel and trunion (like JLD).

For compliance purposes, item #8 "operating rod" has been clarified to mean the charging handle on 91 pattern rifles, and they are (or at least were) available as US-made parts.

Also, since most folks won't be using US made versions of items # 18-20, those usually aren't applicable towards reducing the number of imported parts used, though I do have in my possession twenty US-made floorplates.

Bottom line is that some of those parts simply are not produced in the US and will count against you sicne you must use imported part.  These include: #6, 7, 18 & 19.  All of the rest of that list are available as US-made parts.

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:38:05 PM EDT
[#5]
ok that helps alil. i have a us receiver. i also have a wood furniture set that i love and dont wanna remove. i need a us pistol grip. any chance of getin 4 of those floor plates? ive been looking for followers and floorplates. email me if you want to sell a few of them. thanks [email protected]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:19:59 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
ok that helps alil. i have a us receiver. i also have a wood furniture set that i love and dont wanna remove. i need a us pistol grip. any chance of getin 4 of those floor plates? ive been looking for followers and floorplates. email me if you want to sell a few of them. thanks [email protected]

No thanks.  It was enough hell just finding these.  Good luck.

The problem with mag parts is that if the Gubmint jackboot guy finds another mag in your range bag without that/those US parts on it, you could get into trouble.  For that reason alone I wouldn't rely on using parts that aren't an integral part of your gun as part of your non-imported US-made parts count.

If it were me, and it soon shall be, these are the US-made parts I would buy if building with an imported barrel & trunion.  From JLD: trigger, sear, hammer, trigger pack housing and their muzzle brake, Special Weapons makes (made?) a US-made charging handle, all US-made furniture and of course a JLD receiver.  By my count, assuming you are using imported G3 mags, that has you at exactly 10 imported parts.

If however you choose to use a US-made trunion and barrel you can then use a real HK buttstock adn forearm.  Add one more US-made part and you can use a real HK flash hider.

Arghh, the math gives me a headache. Good luck and don't let the Man get you down.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:43:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Here's a link to the letter from the B.A.T.F.(at the time) that Wes at Soupbowl received when he inquired about foreign parts count on rifles a few years ago.  The G3 type rifles are listed as firearm "F" in the right hand column.  Check the second table for parts indication: Click here.  

Robert Johnson has U.S. made mag parts listed, but it is noted that they "will be available in the future".  You might check with him and find out when these will be available.  Here's his link, the mag parts are about half-way down the page, between the paddle-lever mag releases and the cocking handle assemblies: Robert Johnson.  

Hope this helps-ARKAR
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:42:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Give these folks a try. I have a copy of SGN with there add showing they have US made floor plates and followers. I looked at there web page and it did not show thrm but it wont hurt to give them a call. 866-443-2526. Plus they are showing other US made parts as well

www.falconarms.com/?XCARTSESSID=0e1f7e4a9fb0bc718852cd34b46f3457

Found the floor plates

www.falconarms.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=121&cat=1&page=1&XCARTSESSID=0e1f7e4a9fb0bc718852cd34b46f3457
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:09:23 PM EDT
[#9]
thanks for all of your help guys. i am still a lil lost one guy says 7 and the rest of you say 10. why is the a discrepency on the actual count. i have a import barrel and trunion. i have a us receiver. i dont not want to get rid of my beautiful wood fore arm and stock. can i still get my 10 parts with ths configuration?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:07:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
thanks for all of your help guys. i am still a lil lost one guy says 7 and the rest of you say 10. why is the a discrepency on the actual count. i have a import barrel and trunion. i have a us receiver. i dont not want to get rid of my beautiful wood fore arm and stock. can i still get my 10 parts with ths configuration?

The law says NO MORE than 10 "imported" parts, as specified on the above lists.  17 of those 20 parts are applicable to a 91 series rifle.  17 - 10 (max allowed imported parts) = at least 7 US-made parts that you need to have in or on your gun in order to be legal.

It doesn't matter which 10 imported parts you have as long as you don't have 11 imported parts.

Using your imported barrel, trunion and furniture (buttstock, forearm and pistol grip) is 5 imported parts.  One can assume that you will also be using an imported bolt head and bolt carrier which brings your total to 7 imported parts.  That leaves you 3 more imported parts to use.

You must now choose which of the following items that you still need will be US-made parts and which will be the last 3 imported parts that you can legally use.  I have the prices of JLD's US-made parts in parenthesis next to each item.

Trigger ($29.50)
Sear ($18)
Hammer ($22)
Trigger housing ($65)
Operating rod (charging handle on a 91 series rifle, $18)
Muzzle attachment ($21 for JLD muzzle brake)
Magazine body
Magazine spring
Magazine floorplate

So, if you want to use a real HK flash hider you had better have all US-made floorplates on your imported magazines.  Assuming this is the route you go, you will have to buy every other part on the above list as a US-made part.

Now it's your turn to decide.  It can be done, but you have to choose which parts you want to use.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:48:36 PM EDT
[#11]
he thats exactly what i wanted to hear thanks a ton
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:51:54 PM EDT
[#12]
oh one more thing too guys. the pistol grip is just a black standard so i will be replacing that as a part. by doing that i can us import mags. thanks for all of your efforts to teach a newer hk owner ike myself
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:56:54 AM EDT
[#13]
If you need one more part and you want a flash suppressor instead of a brake, check out Investment Grade Firearms, they make a suppressor that is almost exactly like the HK suppressor.  They are a little costly, but look good.  Here's a link:I.G.F.  ARKAR
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:15:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Trigger ($29.50)
Sear ($18)
Hammer ($22)
Trigger housing ($65)
Operating rod (charging handle on a 91 series rifle, $18)
Muzzle attachment ($21 for JLD muzzle brake)
Magazine body
Magazine spring
Magazine floorplate

That's magazine _follower_, not magazine spring. The spring doesn't count.

*edited for my own stupidity*
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top