Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2006 5:04:01 PM EDT
I have been trying to figure out if it is possible to mill an extra notch into the G3 collapsable stock so that I could have an intermediate stock postition shorter than fully extended.

On the surface I see no reason it can't be done, but interested if anybody have any experience trying this, or knows a reason that it can't be done that I am missing.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:42:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I added an extra position on my stock. It was fairly easy but the metal HK uses for the stock is pretty hard. It laughed at a HSS cutter and I had to go with carbide. I just copied the cuts HK made. The only critical cut is the width of the large rectangular locking slots. All the other are mainly guides for the locking piece and I didn't make them exact mainly because they are metric and I didn't have the size cutter I would like to have used.
I have yet to refinish the cuts so I will try and snap some pics of them in the morning for you when I get off work.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:19:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Hmmm.  That is a good idea.  I wonder if I can get Vector to add some notches for me while they're doing other mods to my stock.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:40:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Chuck1, we will start with the carbide, I think the metric we can handle as well with this mill...will post a pic if it works out well.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:41:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Tag for pics
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:50:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I would wonder if it would weaken the stock under load at full extension.

Would you shoot it from the shoulder at half mast.

Where would you put your face?

JR
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:14:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I finally got some time to take a few pics. The cutter chattered and sprung a lot since it was a 1/8 inch so the finish didn't end up as nice as I would have liked. I fit the locking piece with a cut off wheel and diamond file.

I moved the new notches back 1 inch.  I don't see a strength problem as there is still plenty of metal on the side rails. I shortened it fo ruse with a heavy jacket and my wasatch carrier as it made the stock sit in a different position on my shoulder.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top