Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2006 12:47:27 PM EDT
Ok folks, with real NATO spec 147 gr ammo, what is the effective combat range of a 18" barrel?  

I noticed the drum sight on my PTR91 is only to 400 meters and that seems very short and i would imagine that it out ranges any AR15 combo.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:58:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Per the english manual:

Normal range of use -up to 447yds (400m)
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:01:19 PM EDT
[#2]
So you are saying a scoped 91 will only be effective to 400 meters?  I find that hard to believe.  I could have sworn that the PSG-1 was claimed to be accurate to 800 meters, so maybe 650-700 for a standard G3 barrel.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:17:23 PM EDT
[#3]

No, I'm not saying that, I was quoting the manual. Besides, the PSG has a barrel thats almost 8" longer.

I can hit a paper plate at 600m all day with a well scoped 91 and Federal Gold Metal.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:33:25 PM EDT
[#4]
What kind of grouping, and ballasticly how combat effective is it at 600m?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:13:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

No, I'm not saying that, I was quoting the manual. Besides, the PSG has a barrel thats almost 8" longer.

I can hit a paper plate at 600m all day with a well scoped 91 and Federal Gold Metal.

Yep, with the set up I have on my JLD and 148 gr tracer rounds I built up, I can self spot and hit a 18 x 18 inch steel plate that is 440 yards away pretty much at will. Tracers just add to the fun factor IMHO.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:42:01 PM EDT
[#7]
BTW, CK, whatcha got for glass/rings on that baby?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:24:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah CK ,
I second the question about those rings.
Where'd you get em ,and what's the model # for us  please ?

I don't like the height /weight/cumbersomeness of the
HK Claw .
I'm considering a B&T mount ,and I've been looking for decent rings
that will allow use of the irons ,but aren't chincy enough to
move on me.
You can use the irons like that right ?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:06:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
BTW, CK, whatcha got for glass/rings on that baby?

The rings are from DSA (prod # VTQDH), which DSA advertises as their own, but there not. The packaging states the rings are IOR/Valdada 30mm Quick Detach See-Thru Tactical steel rings. The ring are see thru, but the ocular (eye piece) is large on my scope and interferes just enough where don't have a clear view of the front sight. However, being quick release rings, it just takes a couple of quick turns on the leavers and your up and running with iron sights.   The scope on the other hand......Well don't laugh too hard here, but it's a Tasco. Not just any Tasco mind you, this is the all Japanese built, one piece 30mm tube called the Titan series. My favorite is the 1.5-6x with the A4 reticule.  This is what is on my JLD. The Titan is 11.5 inches long, and fits perfect so I can have the charging handle in the back locked position and not interfere the scope. As matter of fact I like the Titan so much that I bought three of them. It's one hell of a lot of scope for the money - MidwayUSA had them for around $180.00, but I think Tasco discontinued the line. My thinking on this they were losing money on them? I have been able to shoot sub-MOA at 100 yards with my JLD using the Titan scope (cleaned barrel, and fresh American Eagle 150 gr. ball on a rest). I keep a open mind about products. If they work, I keep them, if they don't, they go to the next garage sale I have.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:21:35 PM EDT
[#10]
The reason why the manual reports 400m is the design of standard fixed sights.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top