Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2006 3:07:32 PM EDT
Is there anyway to free float the barrel on this beast?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:36:29 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

It already is free floated.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:23:55 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did any factory HK91s leave wearing a non-tapered cocking tubes?  

Only the tapered tubes are free float.  The handguard pin on the straight cocking tube resides between the barrel and cocking tube and therefore isn't free floated.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:26:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I have always wondered just how it is free floated.  To me no matter if the handguard does not touch the barrel directly it still is conected to the cocking tube, via the handguard pin, which is welded to the triple frame which is welded to the barrel.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:29:02 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have always wondered just how it is free floated.  To me no matter if the handguard does not touch the barrel directly it still is conected to the cocking tube, via the handguard pin, which is welded to the triple frame which is welded to the barrel.  

On my 91 (IB date) the cocking tube is NOT connected to the triple frame.

The handguard is attached to the cocking tube.

So it's free floated.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:04:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Both my HK91 and FMP G3 have floating barrels, the cocking tubes are NOT welded to the cocking tube(s).
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:07:20 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Both my HK91 and FMP G3 have floating barrels, the cocking tubes are NOT welded to the cocking tube(s).

Wow I learned somthing new.  I did not know that they were not attached.  Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:24:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Both my HK91 and FMP G3 have floating barrels, the cocking tubes are NOT welded to the triple frame(s) .

Wow I learned somthing new.  I did not know that they were not attached.  Thanks for the info.

you know what I mean.  

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:56:59 AM EDT
[#8]
On my HK93, the barrel is free-floated.  As you guys have stated: the handguard support is welded to the cocking tube, the triple frame is connected to the barrel but it is not welded nor does it contact the cocking tube.  ARKAR

Edited to add: From what I have observed, if you install a U.S. made cocking tube plug, or a bayonet lug tube plug, all the components will make contact.  The U.S. made and bayonet-type plugs are longer and insert further back into the tube to give more support, which also causes the assembly to not float.  I assumed that with the bayonet mounted, they needed more support for the stress it received in a bayonet thrust/usage.  Isn't this correct guys?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:17:26 AM EDT
[#9]
OK, so my pre 89 HK-91 may well be free floated already.  Cool.

I aqm going to pull it out of the gunsafe tonight and have a llok at it. Might even take pictures.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:16:38 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did any factory HK91s leave wearing a non-tapered cocking tubes?  

Only the tapered tubes are free float.  The handguard pin on the straight cocking tube resides between the barrel and cocking tube and therefore isn't free floated.

Straight or tapered, the pin still goes between the barrel and cocking tube. The triple frame is different for the tapper or non tapered version. Also, unless the hand guard pin actually touches the barrel it is still free floated as the cocking tube just rests inside the triple frame.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top