Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2006 7:39:50 PM EDT
Gents,
I received my PTR 91K From Atlantic Firearms today. Serial number A 41XX.
I must say it looked absolutely wonderful. However I will add, it has it's share of problems/deficiencies. It will be heading back to the factory tomorrow......

The bolt head locking lever is bent, and does not allow the bolt head carrier to slide freely
in the receiver. It was an absolute bitch trying to remove the carrier from the receiver.
Once I was finally able to remove the carrier, I made it a point to carefully examine the Bolt head carrier.  It is abundantly clear that the Bolt head locking lever is out of spec, and appears bent. [curved far too greatly]The carrier cannot,
without a great amount of force, move freely in the receiver. Period.
So...  Check Your PTRs!

And, as noted on another thread, the magwell is out of spec. Mag play in the well is
far too much, and unacceptable. [Aluminum & Steel Mags Tested]

In the future, I'll update everyone as to JLDs opinions/solutions, and the quality
of their customer service.

myitinaw
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:54:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:57:04 PM EDT
[#2]
My PTR is 100% so I jave never had to use the warranty. I hear JLD takes care of their customers and stands behind their guns 100%. Let us know how they treat you.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:24:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Eh, stuff happens.   That's why good companies offer warranties.

Please don't let the malfunction of a $10 part (most likely a real HK part to boot) soil your relationship with what I am certain will end up being a very nice and fun gun.  That would be a real shame.

But if you do end up wanting to get rid of it, I'll give ya a hundred bucks for it!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:46:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry to hear it. Both my PTR's have run fine but sadly anybody can have a bad day, keep us posted.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:25:05 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
My PTR is 100% so I jave never had to use the warranty. I hear JLD takes care of their customers and stands behind their guns 100%. Let us know how they treat you.

+1
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:37:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I also just purchased a PTR1 from Sarco.   Put 50 rounds through it and had 1 FTF.  Not perfect, but 98% reliability is ok.  Fit and finish on gun were quite good.  Accuracy was very good considering I was using iron sights and surplus ammo.  Trigger was nothing to write home about, but that's an easy fix and I have no doubt will further enhance accuracy.

Any company can produce the occasional lemon and I'm sorry to hear that you happened to be the guy who got stuck with it.  But based on both personal experience and what I've read on this and other boards, in general people have been very satisfied with their PTR's.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:10:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I spoke to their customer care today.
Very professional, and pleasant.
I'll be returning the rifle to them
next week. I'll post an update when all is
said and done.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:12:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I spoke to their customer care today.
Very professional, and pleasant.
I'll be returning the rifle to them
next week. I'll post an update when all is
said and done.

They are a great company, no surprise
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:06:49 AM EDT
[#9]
tag for update
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:56:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Just a question: how can a gun  which costs $900+ be sent out the door and not be noticed by QC that there is something wrong sometime during manufacture?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:41:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Gents,
I received my PTR 91K From Atlantic Firearms today. Serial number A 41XX.
I must say it looked absolutely wonderful. However I will add, it has it's share of problems/deficiencies. It will be heading back to the factory tomorrow......

The bolt head locking lever is bent, and does not allow the bolt head carrier to slide freely
in the receiver. It was an absolute bitch trying to remove the carrier from the receiver.
Once I was finally able to remove the carrier, I made it a point to carefully examine the Bolt head carrier.  It is abundantly clear that the Bolt head locking lever is out of spec, and appears bent. [curved far too greatly]The carrier cannot,
without a great amount of force, move freely in the receiver. Period.
So...  Buyer Beware!

In the future, I'll update everyone as to JLDs opinions/solutions, and the quality
of their customer service.

myitinaw

Do mean the charging/cocking handle that is forward of the receiver above the barrel? Do you have photo of the problem area? So you weren't able to shoot it at all?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:52:16 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Just a question: how can a gun  which costs $900+ be sent out the door and not be noticed by QC that there is something wrong sometime during manufacture?

Could this have happened during shipping maybe? I worked in many a warehouse and us forklift drivers are unmerciful.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:25:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Most of the problems with current production PTRs are caused by
HK contract parts.
Especially Pakistani parts.

I just had a headspacing problem with my PTR.

After around 900 rounds ,my headspace was around 0.003 inch ,or 0.076 mm
from the original factory .012 inch.
It should take THOUSANDS of rounds before even +2 rollers are needed.
I've seen barrels worn out before + 4 rollers are needed.

After a little investigating ,the locking piece looked completely dished out .
As a result ,the trunnion was worn out prematurely.
This piece was a brand new HK part.

It wasn't made by JLD ,and wasn't their fault.

Victor at JLD is sending me a brand new PTR as a replacement.
As soon as my FFL gets to him ,he'll ship it.

This is one of the reasons JLD keeps making more and more of it's own
US made parts.If you notice on their own parts list,there's a continuously
growing number of HK parts they make.Many of them have nothing to do
with compliance parts ,there just their own parts.Like firing pins ,and
magazine catches.

For now they still must relly on certain imported parts until they can make all of
their own and empty out there inventory of foreign parts.

At least this looks to be their plan ,unless they just plan on making the
more breakable parts themselves.

Victor will take care of you.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:11:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Today I fired my PTR91-A1 for the first time and had absolutely no problems.  See my other post for a complete report.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:29:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

People ask the same thing about all the SW/Cohaire/etc. guns out there...  From what I've seen they're more expensive and more prone to be "lemons."

Spooky
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:01:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Tagged.  I'm still waiting on my PTR-91K to come in.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:26:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:56:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:04:20 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
myitinaw, let me know how everything goes with the K rifle return, if you have any problems or complications , please let us know ASAP and we will contact the factory. In the future if anyone runs into any problems with a rifle purchased from us please contact out office let us know, we will assist in the warranty repair or replacement to make sure it is taken care of in a quick & efficient way !

Nice form AF..  glad they just aren't sales to you
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:13:13 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

People ask the same thing about all the SW/Cohaire/etc. guns out there...  From what I've seen they're more expensive and more prone to be "lemons."

Spooky

People say the same thing about toasters, computers, socks, Hondas, Cadillacs and Mercedes'.  Stuff happens.  Good companies offer warranties and stand behind their products.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:31:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Just want to see how this turns out.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:06:31 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Tagged.  I'm still waiting on my PTR-91K to come in.

Me too

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:18:42 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Most of the problems with current production PTRs are caused by
HK contract parts.
Especially Pakistani parts.

In a world of compromise...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top