Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2006 4:52:47 PM EDT

Hello- I'm new to the G3 / 91 platform and have a quick question-

I recently got a PTR-91 and there is a LOT of 'play' in the mag well.  When a mag is locked in the mag well it will rock to the right almost 8mm .  That may not sound like a lot but it is very disconcerting.

Is this common or normal?

Just does not feel very solid.  This is a brand new gun.  Almost seems like the right side of the mag well was mis-welded.  

I have contacted JDL but haven't talked to a tech in person yet.  Hope to tomorrow.

Thanks advance for the help.  I'm looking forward to getting this cleared up because otherwise the fit in finish are very impressive.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:54:53 PM EDT
[#1]
The aluminum mags in my PTR have slight play, but the steel mags are tight.  Do you have a set of calipers so that you can measure the opening of the mag well with?  Is that where you think the play is?  If you can measure the opening and let me know exactly where and how you measured, I'll check mine for comparison.  Hope this helps-ARKAR
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:54:46 AM EDT
[#2]
And surely that 8mm movement figure was taken at the bottom of the 20rd magazine, right?  Not at the top, right?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:14:37 AM EDT
[#3]

Yes- ~8mm of play at the bottom.

I wonder how much more secure the steel 20 rounders would lock in.  I have a bunch of alloys and they are all similar- very loose and wiggly.

Still haven't talked to a tech yet- waiting for them to call...

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:28:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I doubt you'll find much, if any, difference in the fit of steel vs aluminum mags.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:37:13 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I doubt you'll find much, if any, difference in the fit of steel vs aluminum mags.

Trust me, in my PTR, the steel mags are a little tighter to insert than the aluminum.  I've got 10 steel mags and a LOT of aluminum mags.  I've only tried one steel mag, but it required quite a bit more effort to get it into the magwell compared to the aluminum that, if unloaded-therefor not imparting force on the bottom of the bolt, are a slightly loose.  Maybe I should try a couple more of the steel mags, the one I've tried may be slightly out-of-spec.  I've got them stashed, so I'd have to dig them out-that's why I've only tried one of them.   ARKAR
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:18:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Thats alot of play - check a few other mags to see if it is mag or rifle.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:23:44 PM EDT
[#7]
That's another complaint I have with my new PTR91 K.
I placed the JLD supplied Mag into my PTR91 and it was
soooo loose! The play was way out of the norm.
I then placed the JLD supplied mag into my H&K 91A2,
no play whatsoever....
This PTR91 does no better with loaded and unloaded
steel magazines.

My opinion on the quality
of this rifle is declining rapidly...
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:11:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Your opinion of THAT particular rifle is understandably declining, just don't go on a rampage flaming JLD for their "unsatisfactory rifles" because most of us have very high regards for these rifles.  Give JLD the chance to make it right, I'm very confident that they'll take care of you and your purchase.  Hope it works out for you-ARKAR
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:05:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I hope so too...  Being the recipient of the
Lemon Award absolutely sucks...

And I am not on a rampage here,
I am simply describing what
problems are present with this rifle.
Don't be so damn overly sensitive to
constructive criticism of JLD.

Their customer support staff, so far, have
been very pleasant to deal with.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:07:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Does the rifle feed reliably or no?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:02:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Haven't loaded, nor shot it yet. Problems w/ the
bolt head locking lever. It's too is out of spec.
The rifle is heading back to the factory...
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:12:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Your opinion of THAT particular rifle is understandably declining, just don't go on a rampage flaming JLD for their "unsatisfactory rifles" because most of us have very high regards for these rifles.  Give JLD the chance to make it right, I'm very confident that they'll take care of you and your purchase.  Hope it works out for you-ARKAR

After receiving a p.m. from myitinaw about the above posting that I made, I hereby offer my sincerest apology.  No offense was intended, I only wanted for JLD to be given the opportunity to correct the problem.  Please accept my apology and gratitude is extended to any and all that I may have offended.
Thanks-ARKAR
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:13:25 PM EDT
[#13]
No need to apologize here.   No offense taken in any way, shape or form.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:55:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks, I guess he kinda took what I posted a little to seriously.  The last thing I want to do is offend someone, that's not what we are here for.  I understand that each and every one of us has our opinions, and I don't want to force mine on anyone.  I just wanted him to realize that JLD is a reputable company and they deserve to be given a chance to rectify the problem.  There was a member in the AR-10 section that was repremanded by the moderators for flaming Armalite, even though Armalite had taken care of his problems with his rifle.  The member posted a formal appology to everyone and all was well.  Most owners of the PTRs have had nothing but good experiences out of their rifles and I think this is indication that they do NOT produce lemons, however every manufacturer is capable of letting a rifle go that has problems.  I do NOT think they should be trashed, and made to sound like they only produce problematic rifles, here on the forums.  It was my fault for coming across as being too stern and that's what I appologize for.  I can understand the frustration of receiving a faulty rifle and having to go through the hassle of having the problem rectified.  ARKAR
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:37:06 PM EDT
[#15]
ARKAR is clearly a first class person.
He's informative, and helpful, to say the least.
His loyalties to JLD have been earned.
I too, hope to become one of the many
satisfied JLD customers.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:18:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Tag because I just bought a PTR91F and I want to see how JLD handles this.

FWIW my mags fit a little loose but not as much as 4073's.  Mine only move about 4mm.

I have not shot mine yet ,but if the rifle functions properly, I don't think the wiggle will bother me.

Glad to see such adult behavior in this thread.

Hope everything works out for everyone.

Seydou
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:34:36 AM EDT
[#17]
My PTR-K has the same "wiggle" as my HK-91.  

I have always seen some "wiggle" in the mags of my HK's (owned two previously)

It did not affect feeding or function (all guns always 101% reliable!!)

I just consider that "wiggle" to be "combat tolerance" (if in the field you get some mud, sand, ice, etc... on the mag or in the well, you will still be able to slam one home.  Get too tight a fit when all clean and pretty, then you may not be able to mag change when the "nitty" gets "gritty".

BIGGER_HAMMER
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top