Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2006 2:49:39 PM EDT
I am willing to bet that they make more money selling parts than complete guns!

Some of the parts they sell probably cost a few bucks to manufacture and the market they've set up inflates the prices.

It cost substantially more to build a HK rifle from parts than buying a complete rifle.

I bet they "take up the slack" by selling all of these parts to people wanting to build rifles!

I believe if magically, they released the HK roller locked rifles again - the parts cost would fall to a reasonable amount.

Who thinks this is true?

I welcome anyone to reply with criticisms or opinions...  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:59:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I think they choose not to sell them due to their management. It's their own policy not to sell military style weapons to civilians, import ban or not.

I'm sure they make a bit off kits, but I doubt that would surpass what they could make selling US domestic complete HK94's.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:14:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Not true. The US screwed HK with our BS import and domestic laws. HK made every attempt to adapt to US laws over the years and finally just gave up because the rewards did not exceed the headaches.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:39:47 PM EDT
[#3]
ever try buying parts from hk.  i hear its a pain in the bag.  if hk is only selling parts to hk dealers than where are the parts.

hk has a failed marketing plan.  i know the import ban sucks, but build a plant here make the weapons on correct tooling and sell them for whatever the mortgage is.  I know 50 guys on hkpro.com that could pay for the plant and CEO salary based on their collections so far.

I don't know shizle about culture or anything, but maybe the europeans/germans have a fear of america's litigeous society or something.

Besides, I think HK is content making guns for military/police.  It helps keep the image of being awesome and such.  Part of the alure of military style firearms is that the military "high speed" opertor types have them, not all the mall ninja, armchair commandoes.

Just my 2 cents
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:23:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I think there is a lot of mark up in prices for HK parts...  I'm not sure if it starts at HK but I know their magazines don't cost them near as much to build as they sell them for.  I guess we have to factor in the whole US dollar versus the Euro.  Not as good as it once was.  

I really don't think it would be worth it for HK to build a plant in the US.  I really want them to but I doubt it will happen unless they get a big US Gov't contract that requires them to be built and serviced in the US.  I know there is a healthy market among us lowly civilians in the US but we can be a picky bunch.  Remember how well the SL8 and USC went over?  Not that great - why?  Because we had that stupid AWB in effect and we knew what HK was capable of and they were giving us a half-ass version of the real deal.  We turned our nose on those and HK took notice of it.  I think the market for the SL8 and USC is better now because of the conversions being offered post-AWB.  In this ramble, realize that HK could build a plant and sell us really cool toys until the next Democratic controlled Congress occurs.  At that point they would be better off throwing their money on the tables in Vegas!

I also think olds442tyguy is on the money with his comments of the management's policy.  I have heard several people who talk about the German laws that prohibt the sale of military arms to civilians...

Whatever the reason, HK is expensive and I think they will continue to expensive...  I really don't think HK sells parts to intentionally make huge profits but it does happen...

Spooky
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:14:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I bet they "take up the slack" by selling all of these parts to people wanting to build rifles!

I believe if magically, they released the HK roller locked rifles again - the parts cost would fall to a reasonable amount.

Who thinks this is true?

I welcome anyone to reply with criticisms or opinions...  

I had a roller locking breech rifle built last spring. And it was built up out of parts. Want to know how much H&K made off of me. $0.00. Want to know how many H&K manufactured parts are in my G3 ?  Two, depending on which stock I use! Licensees made them all.

Your assertion that their plan is to sell over priced parts as a business model…. to kit builders…. is re-cockulous.  It is a tiny share of the world market.

H&K does not get residuals and royalties when one of their designs that were built in Portugal, Greece or Pakistan in the 60’s 70’s and 80’s is chopped up and sold here for parts. They do not get a royalty when Vector, Bobcat and Bailey rip them off. The patents have expired.

I’m sure there is a certain amount of business that goes to distributors who sell replacement parts especially to military and law enforcement. That market is not what sustains an arms maker. Military and police contracts do. If I need parts for my rifle I would be foolish to pay the retail prices when quality pre-tested parts are available from so many sources. You would be too.

JR
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top