Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2006 5:16:32 AM EDT
is there any way to get enough us internal parts into the ptr-91 so that I can use whatever furniture i want?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:42:24 AM EDT
[#1]
It already has enough parts to be compliant with the 922 regs or else they couldn't have sold it to you.  To "add" one non-compliance part (buttstock & fore end count together as one) requires you to add one more US part.  

On my rifle I installed HK furniture and to compensate for that replaced the HK flash hider with a JLD muzzle brake.  The US parts count stayed the same.

If for some reason you also want to change the grip that will require the addition of another US made part elsewhere in the gun.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:06:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Eric,

How does that muzzlebrake work? Can you tell if it actually reduce muzzle flip?

thanks (and sorry to hijack your thread!)
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:17:43 AM EDT
[#3]
The handguard and buttstock do NOT count as one part.  It is true that on an AK-type weapon, the upper and lower handguard count as one, but the buttstock and pistolgrip are also counted as 2 seperate parts.  On an HK G3 type, all three furniture parts are counted seperately. Here's a link to a letter that Wes at Soupbowl Enterprises received in request of parts count on imported rifles or rifles assembled from imported parts: Parts count.  Notice that an HK style rifle would need seven parts, JLD substitues different parts to meet the requirement on configuration-specific rifles.  Such as on the fixed-stock rifle(with the wide, imported handguard), the buttstock is U.S. made and I think the other U.S. parts are: receiver, trunion, barrel, gripframe/trigger housing, pistolgrip, and sear OR the hammer~that's seven parts.  When they substitute the foreign collapsible stock for the U.S. made fixed stock, they have to add another part-such as using both the sear AND hammer that are U.S. made.  I remember someone posting recently that their A3 (collapsible stock model) had both the hammer and sear that were U.S. made.  If you want another part that looks more authentic and is U.S. made, consider purchasing I.G.F.'s flash hider-here's the link:IGF flashhider.  Since JLD is out of the wide handguards and the PTRs are going to be shipped with the U.S. made tactical handguards, they will probably use an imported sear or hammer again.  If you need other parts to be compliant with 922r, look on JLD's website; you can purchase any of their U.S. made parts.  JLD Parts!  Notice that there's six pages of parts, so you'll want to look at all of them.  You'll need to check your trigger pack and get whichever part that isn't U.S. made so that you don't end up buying two of the same U.S. made part.  Let me know if you need directions on disassembly/assembly of the triggerpack.  ARKAR    
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:35:43 AM EDT
[#4]
on my 91K the bolt and carrier are both US made.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:46:36 PM EDT
[#5]
A magazine body stamped 'FMP' is a foreign part, correct? Be aware that 1-3 US parts could be in the magazines - using another mag can make you illegal if they use these parts for compliance.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:12:41 PM EDT
[#6]
How important is it to stay 922 legal anyways? Are there feds at the shooting ranges keeping an eye out for imported stocks and US mag followers? Not to say it NEVER happens, but have any of you ever experienced the 922 Nazis coming down on anybody? What are the consenquences? Make you change it? take away your gun? jail time? interogation?

I'm not saying I'm going to run out and make my gun non-compliant, but there are people doing more illegal things to firearms than having a non-US part. I just can't imaging being brought in for one Pakistani baseplate.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:56:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Are you sure?  I'm not aware of these being made in the U.S. at all.  Being more difficult to make, I'd think that they use original, imported parts for these.  Check out the parts list of the U.S. made parts on the 91Ks on JLD's website: PTR-91 K.  ARKAR
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:12:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Aw heck, you got me ARKAR.  The buttstock and fore end do indeed count as two seperate parts.

I'm still waiting for a US made trigger to be made that doesn't cost $90 like the one on Gunbroker.  BTW, if one were to buy that US made trigger, how could one prove to the BATFE that it wasn't an imported part?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:04:28 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd just like to get a psg-1 buttstock and grip for a ptr-91.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:30:35 AM EDT
[#10]
your correct, I had thought FMP was US....its not its Portugal made I think.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you sure?  I'm not aware of these being made in the U.S. at all.  Being more difficult to make, I'd think that they use original, imported parts for these.  Check out the parts list of the U.S. made parts on the 91Ks on JLD's website: PTR-91 K.  ARKAR

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:25:16 PM EDT
[#11]
So...  How many USA made parts,
make a PTR 91 "legal"????

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:59:48 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

7 with a flash hider and 6 without one.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:54:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Just as was posted earlier, the PTRs are already "legal", otherwise they couldn't sell them to you.  However, if you start changing parts out, just be sure to check which parts are U.S. made and which aren't(on your specific PTR model, some are different) so that you don't replace a U.S. made part with an imported part.  You can replace a U.S. part with an imported part as long as you change an imported part that was originally on the PTR with a U.S. made part somewhere else on the gun.  And mlm1219 si correct, it's 7 with a hider, six if your gun doesn't have a flash hider.  ARKAR
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:55:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
is there any way to get enough us internal parts into the ptr-91 so that I can use whatever furniture i want?

Which PTR model do you have? Let me know and I'll try to figure out what you can add.  ARKAR
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:04:42 PM EDT
[#15]
The following is what I understand to be true as of now.

US compliance parts in all JLD rifles:
Receiver
Barrel
Trunion
Cocking Handle Assembly (considered an operating rod)
Pistol Grip

Optional US compliance parts (every PTR model has two of these three parts):
Hammer
Sear
Fixed Buttstock

Additional US parts that do not apply to 922 regs but found on all PTR's:
Triple frame front sight base
cocking tube plug
cocking tube

All other parts are made by HK, FMP, or POF depending on what is available at time of manufacture.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:29:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The following is what I understand to be true as of now.

US compliance parts in all JLD rifles:
Receiver
Barrel
Trunion
Cocking Handle Assembly (considered an operating rod)
Pistol Grip

Optional US compliance parts (every PTR model has two of these three parts):
Hammer
Sear
Fixed Buttstock

Additional US parts that do not apply to 922 regs but found on all PTR's:
Triple frame front sight base
cocking tube plug
cocking tube

All other parts are made by HK, FMP, or POF depending on what is available at time of manufacture.

Jason H, this sounds dead-on and exactly right!  Thanks for posting this info.  ARKAR
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:41:57 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
How important is it to stay 922 legal anyways? Are there feds at the shooting ranges keeping an eye out for imported stocks and US mag followers? Not to say it NEVER happens, but have any of you ever experienced the 922 Nazis coming down on anybody? What are the consenquences? Make you change it? take away your gun? jail time? interogation?

I'm not saying I'm going to run out and make my gun non-compliant, but there are people doing more illegal things to firearms than having a non-US part. I just can't imaging being brought in for one Pakistani baseplate.

Agreed. Would not worry about it if you are one or two parts off. Have never ever seen or even heard of "922 Nazis" at any range I was ever at. Had many off duty LEO's ask to shoot my toys but that's it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top