Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2006 9:04:21 AM EDT
Lets seem some groups!  Does Anyone have the Match grade version and is it anymore accurate?

I ordered 30 mags from Tapco last night  so I have to by one of these suckers just dont know if I want a shorty blaster or if the PTR has reach out there and touch someone capabilities.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:55:22 AM EDT
[#1]
You will be impressed with the PTR91, if you want a shorty blaster get the Vector 51.  Do they allow SBR in FL?  There is only a couple inches or so difference between the barrel on the PTR91 and PTR91K.  On top of this the Choate folder they offer on the K is a couple inches longer than the HK length stock,  that is why I am suggesting the 51 as the short gun.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:43:38 PM EDT
[#2]
yeah you can SBR here and that is an option,  how do you know I will be impressed? What kind of groups can the PTR-1 Produce?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:31:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine shot 2 inch groups at 100 yards out of the box,
using Port surplus and a scope .

I can get 1.5 inch groups with good ammo and
the trigger job I have on it now.

With most surplus military ammo ,you should expect around
3 inch groups or better at 100 yards .Mind you,that's factoring
in the use of some not so great surplus ,so it's a
more practical estimate of accuracy if your burning up
cheap ammo.

1.5 inches is damn good for an $800 semi-auto .308.

The chances of actually needing more accuracy than that in a semi
isn't practical to me anyway.
You want better than 1.5 MOA in semi-auto .308 ,than be ready to start out at $1,500
and deal with a rifle that isn't as dependable,or go bolt action.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:53:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Mine shot 2 inch groups at 100 yards out of the box,
using Port surplus and a scope .

I can get 1.5 inch groups with good ammo and
the trigger job I have on it now.

With most surplus military ammo ,you should expect around
3 inch groups or better at 100 yards .Mind you,that's factoring
in the use of some not so great surplus ,so it's a
more practical estimate of accuracy if your burning up
cheap ammo.

1.5 inches is damn good for an $800 semi-auto .308.

The chances of actually needing more accuracy than that in a semi
isn't practical to me anyway.
You want better than 1.5 MOA in semi-auto .308 ,than be ready to start out at $1,500
and deal with a rifle that isn't as dependable,or go bolt action.

+1, dido, & what he said. Mine did the same today with Portuguese and a cheap scope.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:00:37 PM EDT
[#5]
1.5 is accepatble,  how much does a JLD PTR-91 Match Grade go for  the MSRP is close to 1500
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:54:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Another plus one for the JLD and Port combo.  I am getting 1.5 inch groups with a luepold scope, Bill Springfield trigger job and port.  When I get around to it I am going to load up some of my own loads and see what it can really do.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:31:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I was able to get overlaping hits from a rest on a 9" paper plate @ 50 meters with 1970's dated OFN ball using iron sites when I took my new PTR 91 out for the first time the other week for sighting in and function testing. Went through 120 rounds with no problems. I really like that heavy profile barrel. Seems to kick less than my Springfield Armory SAR3.

Now the rifle is on it's way to Ralph at RDTS for a paddle release
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:55:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought the hype, and the "Match" PTR91-A1 rifle.  Save your money and don't buy the "Match Grade" rifle.  Get the "standard" model PTR91.

Spend the $300 (and a little more) you'll save and get a Bill Springfield trigger job (~$50), a wide fore end (~$75), a Harris bipod (~$50-60) or Rock Mount knockoff bipod cuz they're just as good (~$30), a good low profile scope mount (I own both a $150 B&T and a $20 Leapers from cheaperthandirt.com and both work well), a decent scope (10X Bushnell 3200 Mildot scope- used ~$140, new ~$190), a HK buttstock (~$30) and a HK21 rubber buttpad (~$65) and you'll be light years ahead or the "Match" rifle.

Both the "standard" and "match" JLD rifles use the exact same 18" medium profile barrel, same receiver, same cocking tube, same sights, same bolt carrier/bolt, etc.  The only differences between them are the lower grips, the fore end and the amount of accessories that come with the rifle.

IMO of course.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:05:56 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I bought the hype, and the "Match" PTR91-A1 rifle.  Save your money and don't buy the "Match Grade" rifle.  Get the "standard" model PTR91.

Spend the $300 (and a little more) you'll save and get a Bill Springfield trigger job (~$50), a wide fore end (~$75), a Harris bipod (~$50-60) or Rock Mount knockoff bipod cuz they're just as good (~$30), a good low profile scope mount (I own both a $150 B&T and a $20 Leapers from cheaperthandirt.com and both work well), a decent scope (10X Bushnell 3200 Mildot scope- used ~$140, new ~$190), a HK buttstock (~$30) and a HK21 rubber buttpad (~$65) and you'll be light years ahead or the "Match" rifle.

Both the "standard" and "match" JLD rifles use the exact same 18" medium profile barrel, same receiver, same cocking tube, same sights, same bolt carrier/bolt, etc.  The only differences between them are the lower grips, the fore end and the amount of accessories that come with the rifle.

IMO of course.

If I am not mistaken I think JLD says the match barrels are cryo treated.  I don't know this for sure but I thought I read it somewhere.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:52:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the info on the match version, thats what I am looking for as what I read and hear will be my only imput on this ruifle before I buy it.  Nobody around here caries PTR_91 so I have to order it.  I ma not worried about it though if it isnt something I like it will be easy enough to get rid of at the next gunshow. If everything is the same except for the furniture I will go with the lower model as I will be replacing all the furniture anyway.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:16:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Both the "standard" and "match" JLD rifles use the exact same 18" medium profile barrel,

If I am not mistaken I think JLD says the match barrels are cryo treated.  I don't know this for sure but I thought I read it somewhere.

I said they use the exact same barrel in both their "standard" and "match" (their words) rifles.

Their (non-existant) 24"  "match" barrel is another story entirely.  Also don't beleive Sarco's outright lies in their ads about the PTR91-A1 having a trigger "tuned by a master gunsmith"  HA!!  Right.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:47:58 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info on the match version, thats what I am looking for as what I read and hear will be my only imput on this ruifle before I buy it.  Nobody around here caries PTR_91 so I have to order it.  I ma not worried about it though if it isnt something I like it will be easy enough to get rid of at the next gunshow. If everything is the same except for the furniture I will go with the lower model as I will be replacing all the furniture anyway.

Check out Atlantic Firearms in the Industry Forum here.  Good prices and great customer service.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:36:01 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
 Also don't beleive Sarco's outright lies in their ads about the PTR91-A1 having a trigger "tuned by a master gunsmith"  HA!!  Right.

I also have a PTR91 I just got from Sarco.  Great prices - under $700 for basic model.  But I have to agree about the trigger.  Put about a hundred rounds down range last week.  When I was done, shoulder felt fine, but trigger finger was exhausted.:)  Haven't measured it, but these things feel like they have a 10 or 11 pound trigger.

Have heard great things about Springfield trigger jobs and plan on having him work his magic on this gun.  I'm not someone who normally does a lot of upgrades to a gun.  But a decent trigger is a must.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:59:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I got my PTR91F from Jensen Arms for $759.  Great service and price and they are also an AFRCOM supporter.  Haven't shot it yet,but already I know I want a Springfield trigger job.

Does the Sarco come with a flash hider?

Seydou
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:27:20 PM EDT
[#15]
It does if you want one.  Since I don't live in a free state, I'm not considered responsible enough to own a gun with a flash hider, so I've just got the naked barrel.  But if its legal in your state they also offer them with FH's.  I believe the price is the same regardless.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top