Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/7/2005 5:53:16 PM EDT
Got a Leaper knockoff of a B&T low profile scope mount from Cheaper Than Dirt for $20.  Wasn't expecting much and figured there was a good chance it could be junk, but for the price, I figured I would take a chance.  Very glad that I did.  

The mount looks to be CNC'd from either an extrusion or billet, doesn't feel like it is a casting, definitely not forged.  The aluminum is anodized not painted.  The mount has recesses machined underneath to interface with the scope lug on top of the receiver to keep the mount from moving fore and aft on the receiver.  The mount fits the lug like a glove on my PTR-91, no movement whatsoever.

You can still use the iron sights with the mount attached.  Not sure how durable the mount is, whether one would want to stake their life on it, but for my uses, this should work like a charm.  Pics below.

Link Posted: 12/7/2005 8:26:01 PM EDT
[#1]

Does it interface with the receiver properly and not bind up the bolt when it's tightened?
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 9:51:31 PM EDT
[#2]
mine is awesome too, rock solid
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 4:45:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Cheap mount, but now we need a cheap scope with rings (around 10X) that it and the mount will take the beating that the 308 will dish out.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 3:24:57 PM EDT
[#4]
It attaches the same way as the B&T mount.  The "little feet" pull upward on the machined recesses on either side of the receiver instead of inward like on a claw mount.  As result, it doesn't pinch the receiver causing the carrier to bind.  You can see how the "little feet" interface with the receiver on the last pic.

The tolerances were tight enough on mine that there was no room for the "little feet" to slip off of the machined recesses, very little room for the mount to move side to side.

Based on how it fits, I am pretty sure Leapers (being a Chinese outfit) just took a B&T mount and copied it.  The only way I could see the mount failing is if the bolts supplied are not of the proper strength.  I suppose it is also possible to strip the threads from the "little feet" since they are made of aluminum, if you over torqued the bolts.

So far, I feel I got more than what I paid for.  I guess time will tell if that is truely the case.  Planning on attaching an aimpoint to it eventually.  If I don't like the cheekweld from this setup, I can remove it and not feel like I am out much money.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 3:54:35 PM EDT
[#5]
it works great on my leapers

i picked up a 4-10x50 with lifetime warranty

check out my fs thread for it.  works great but i went with the claw mount
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 4:15:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Very interesting.
Jason_h ,
You said this matches your PTR receiver perfectly.

If you don't mind saying ,my PTRs serial number is in the
A2XXX range ,in the higher 2000s.
Is your receiver in the same range or higher ?
DON't say the number  !Just if it's close.

I only asked because the closer the numbers are ,usually the
closer the tolerances are if there's any variance.
Also ,yours does begin with an A right ?

My experiences with Leapers mouns aren't good ,but if others
here think they are ,I might give them a try for $20.

Has anyone shot with these yet ?
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 8:31:26 PM EDT
[#7]
yeap shoots fine
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 11:01:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys I told my family to get me one for Christmas, and if they do I will compare it to the B&T that is coming this weekend. This is why I love AR15; I would have never heard of this product otherwise
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 4:53:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Just ordered one yesterday
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 6:01:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

If you don't mind saying ,my PTRs serial number is in the
A2XXX range ,in the higher 2000s.
Is your receiver in the same range or higher ?
DON't say the number  !Just if it's close.

My JLD is in the lower A3XXX range.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 7:14:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the review and the view of the mount from all the angles!!

Looks like it may be a cost effective way to mount up my PTR Vs. $150 or so for the B&T

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 10:50:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 2:34:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Skipa-de-do-da,

Got a parts # list for the set up (scope model, and rings).

Also, could you mesure the front bell to cocking tube and rings height.  With an Open slot 100 rear sight, looks like there is even more room to drop the scope down.  

Also, what kind of front sight bluring threw the scope are you getting at the present height?
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:28:46 AM EDT
[#14]
ive actually moved the scope back so the cocking tube can go back all the way i just didnt do that for the original pics.

the scope rings i forget manuf but they are windage adjustable

scope is a BUCKRIDGE HORIZON 4-16X50 SCOPE

and i never noticed any front sigh blurring, but it was accurate

i just preferd the claw mount with same scope, i bought 2
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 8:12:05 PM EDT
[#15]
I too have been running one of these "Cheapers" mounts( of course iIwould never admit it ). It has not budged since I put it on last spring. I have switched optics a lot but have primarily had a heavy SUIT scope on there. A little red loctite in the begining did the trick.

JR
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:19:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Nice looking set up. I saw some of those at a gun show for $15. It looks like they will not work with a port buffer. I like my port buffer...question, do the spent shells come back and hit the mount, or receiver? Does it deflect the shells in anyway?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:42:52 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Nice looking set up. I saw some of those at a gun show for $15. It looks like they will not work with a port buffer. I like my port buffer...question, do the spent shells come back and hit the mount, or receiver? Does it deflect the shells in anyway?

What do you mean it won't work with a buffer? Buffers are in the stock?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:22:44 AM EDT
[#18]
The ejection PORT BUFFER goes aft of the ejection port to deflect the shells away from the receiver and forward.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:20:58 AM EDT
[#19]

Port buffer which snap onto the top of the receiver, and the the case hits the rubber section of the device instead of the back of the ejection port when the case is ejected.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:43:56 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
www.pof-usa.com/g3portbuffer.JPG

Port buffer which snap onto the top of the receiver, and the the case hits the rubber section of the device instead of the back of the ejection port when the case is ejected.

Oh ok got it! Where is a good place to buy one? My reciever is getting all scatched up from brass.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:41:07 AM EDT
[#21]

If you get that buffer you are limited to the claw scope mounts due to the lack of space. The B&T and the port buffer don't go together.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top