Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2005 5:37:50 PM EDT
The specs on a BW5 say it has a 3 lug barrel. If I paid my 200, got the stamp, put my name on the gun, how hard is it to get the fake can off? Or how is it permantly attached I guess?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:27:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Its pinned on.  You just grind away the weld that covers the pin and then the pin will fall out.  Then the fake can should come off.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:28:29 AM EDT
[#2]
That is exactly what I did last week when my approved Form 1 came in.  I used a dremel and it took like 30 minutes to get it off.

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:05:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Sweetness. I didn't want to spend 1200 on the gun, 200 on the tax and then have to pay somebody else 100 to take it off somehow.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:36:09 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
That is exactly what I did last week when my approved Form 1 came in.  I used a dremel and it took like 30 minutes to get it off.

So what's your opinion of the gun after shooting it?  Worth the money, all the kids on the block jealous of you now?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:07:37 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I'm so jealous...I'm still waiting approval
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:32:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Maddog - I liked it when it had a fake suppressor and now I love it after the fake can has been removed.  It just feels right without that fake can on.

89Saleen - Believe it or not, I submitted 4 Form 1's (V53, G36k, BW5, and BW89) and got an approval in 30 days.  Of course mine is going to go faster than yours since I went the Corp route, but those guys in WV are moving quickly now that the lazy assess in DC are no longer doing the work.  Since those went so fast, I submitted another Form 1 and a Form 4 about a month ago.  I guess we will see how fast those go.  BTW, are you heading out to the gun show this weekend?

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:55:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a follow up to the original question.  When making an SBR on a form 1 is it actually required to have your name and city stamped or engraved in the gun.  I have called the NFA branch on this and got an  unclear response and the local class 3 dealers around here seem to disagree.  If anyone actually knows please let me know or tell me where to look.  Thanks for any advice.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 4:53:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes, The "maker" of the SBR must engrave their name, city and state on the firearm in a conspicuous place.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:20:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Is that the case even if you are making the SBR from an existing firearm, as opposed to making it from something like a tube gun or the like?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:36:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes.   When you Fill out a Form 1, you are applying to "Make" and register a Title II firearm... even if it is an existing Title I firearm.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 3:54:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Not everyone agrees that you need to mark your name/city/state when "making" an SBR using a receiver that already has the original manufacturer's name on it.  The same regulation says you need to put a unique serial number not previously used (or words to that effect), but no one advocates adding another serial number.  I just got a Form 1 approved that has "None" in block 4.h Additional Description.  This means that there are no other identifying data which will appear on the firearm & I feel that adding anything would go against my approved From 1 description.  There's a lengthly discussion about this marking on the AR-15 FA board.  One guy called ATF & was told you don't need to do this.  Apparently others have been told differently.  The guy wrote a letter (posted on the board) to ATF that asks the question is a very specific manner & requests a response in writing.  I'm not saying which is right - I am waiting to see what comes back in writing.  The regulation is clearly not clear & I'm hoping for a good answer from ATF.  Hopefully not like the one that recently showed up on Sturm that read like a registered MG made up of a married receiver/DIAS was not legal!  This wasn't even the question that was asked -
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top