Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2005 3:22:15 PM EDT
I took off early today and shot my PTR91 today for the first time.  WOW!  I am very glad I bought this rifle.  Unreal how far this thing throughs the brass.  I would say it went more than 20 feet forward and to the right in a huge arc.  I am glad it did as I am a lefty and have seen some pics of a lefty getting pasted in the face.  NOT ME!

Very accurate with South African 147 grain.  Fired 3 full battle packs today.  ZERO FTF, ZERO FTE, ZERO malfunctions of any kind.   Out of the box it was shooting 3 inches or so right and dead on for elevation at 100m.  After adjusting the windage it was good to go and had no trouble shooting 3 inch groups with a few flyers thrown in.  The Bill Springfield trigger job worked flawlessly.

I own an HK94, and HK93 and the JLD is IMHO just as well made if not better than factory HK.

Recoil is another story.  HOLY CRAP.  Makes me really appreciate my FAL and M1A.  You know you are shooting a full size cartridge when shooting at PTR91.  How in the hell anyone shoots a G3 on full auto is a mystery to me.

I will be adding a heavy buffer, soon.  More likely I will say "F" it and get an MSG-90 stock at a local store.  I dont want to because my furniture is green and the MSG90 is all black.  I guess I could get a black pistol grip and a black wide forearm and sell my pistol grip and green wide forearm later or have mine duracoated in black. Humm? Thats an idea since black wide forearms are hard to find right about now.

Extra bonus my bipod came today.  My B&T mount from DSA should be here tomorrow or Monday.  Then its optics time.  Cant decide what to put on it.  I have a Bushnell 3200 waiting for the Grenadier Precision FAL mount but who the hell knows when that will get here.
I might get a Nikon from SWFA.  I have had good luck with IOR in the past and might try them again.  

All in all the PTR91 has lived up to all my expectations and more.  GET ONE!  Get some mags and dont look back you wont regret it.  For the money right now you cant touch a full size battle rifle of this quality at such a low price from any gun maker today.  JMHO

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:33:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm sending payment and FFL for one tomorrow, my best friend ordered his yesterday.  I can't wait to get it here!!!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:10:17 PM EDT
[#2]

I am a lefty and have seen some pics of a lefty getting pasted in the face. NOT ME!

Yea, that was me!

Luckily mine settled down after the first 200 rounds or so, and a Buffer Tech recoil buffer.  Now it ejects just fine, no more beat up face.

Glad you like the rifle.  I'm in total amazement of mine after shooting a 3 gun match a couple weeks ago.  It is everything I could have wanted in a MBR.  So much so that I'm thinking of getting a 18" barreled gun after the holidays are over.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:16:23 PM EDT
[#3]
After reading your posting I looked up the MSG-90 stock.  After finding many pages on food preservatives I found what I was looking for....looks pretty sweet!  Any idea what one of those would cost?

Also...not to sound like a broken record but I assume swapping the JLD stock for the MSG-90 would count against your compliance part count?  I am used to my AR-15s so this whole compliance part stuff caught me off guard initially and has made me cranky and cautious.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:37:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't THINK the parts count issue is a problem, as the JLD is almost entirely US made (apparently). However, I've searched for an MSG90 stock, and they are 1) hard to find 2) VERY EXPENSIVE (like $600 or so from what I've seen).

I found a good posting on HKPro by a guy that modified an HK91 stock to accept a heavy buffer. The buffer alone can be found for around $100.

Also, be aware that standard HK forearms will NOT fit a PTR91 without filing/grinding out the floor of the forearm. The JLD barrel is thicker than an HK factory barrel.

I go to shoot my PTR on Sunday. Let's hope it's everything that everyone says it is!!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:15:45 PM EDT
[#5]
The MSG90 stock I found is about $400.  Still a very expensive proposition on a $750 rifle IMHO.  I am giving it some thought however.  I also saw the thread on installing a heavy buffer on the HKPRO forum.  I might look into that one also.  

My Wide forearm did go on the rifle without having to do any sanding or filing.  Dont get me wrong it was a VERY tight fit but after one solid tap with a wood dowel the push pin went on.  I dont think the pin will just push out.  If I want to take it off I know I will have to tap it out with a dowel or large punch.  On the plus side it does not wiggle or give in any way.

I put on the bipod tonight after cleaning it and I am a little disapointed.  It wobbles more than I like even when folded up.  The legs do not fit as flush as I had hoped into the groves cut in the hand guard.  The STG58 has a much better bipod setup.  It might be sloppy because its a POF bipod.  I will try it on my HK93 later and maybe it will find a home on that rifle.  I am thinking of putting a sling stud on the forearm and using a Harris BR bipod instead.

Cheers
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:43:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I don't THINK the parts count issue is a problem, as the JLD is almost entirely US made (apparently). However, I've searched for an MSG90 stock, and they are 1) hard to find 2) VERY EXPENSIVE (like $600 or so from what I've seen).

I found a good posting on HKPro by a guy that modified an HK91 stock to accept a heavy buffer. The buffer alone can be found for around $100.

Also, be aware that standard HK forearms will NOT fit a PTR91 without filing/grinding out the floor of the forearm. The JLD barrel is thicker than an HK factory barrel.

I go to shoot my PTR on Sunday. Let's hope it's everything that everyone says it is!!! hr

$600...ouch.  Looks like the heavy buffer is more likely for me....or maybe I will just suck it up and be that much closer to another new toy!

I ordered a wide forearm from JLD which I believe is original HK.  It fit on my PTR91 just fine other than the fact that the pin hole up front was slightly mis-aligned.  A couple minutes with a small cylindrical file (seconds with a Dremmel) and it fit on just fine.

Lastly, the parts count is very much an issue with the JLD PTR-91.  The parts used to build the JLD rifles are largely HK parts with well made US made parts added for compliance.  Thanks to the fine contributors on this forum I was able to learn a great deal about these issues (silly as it may seem).  There was a huge thread on this topic a few months ago but it looks like it has been retired.  It caught me completely by surprise so I am a little overly zealous about making sure people understand that it applies and don't inadvertantly get themselves into trouble.  With the growing interest in JLD PTR-91's, it almost seems like that old thread should be dusted off and tacked to the top of this forum.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:50:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Heavy Buffer Question....

Will the H&K Heavy Buffer fit on the H&K retractable stocks?

Anyone who is actually "In The Know", then I "Thank You" in advance for your knowledgable reply!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:01:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:43:50 PM EDT
[#9]
The PTR looks good in green ,
maybe I should have tried it !

I have a PTR-91 PBWB from Atlantic Firearms.

I put an original HK buttstock on mine,as well as
the HK-21 Soft rubber buttpad and the G3 Heavy Buffer.
I had to add a US part,so I got an IGF US made flash hider.

Some mods are needed ,but the Heavy buffer will work in
the standard buttpad,even the JLD one if wanted.

Needed mods to fit :
You have to bore out the area where the buffer goes into
the metal part that the recoil spring is on.
You might want to blue around the bored hole to prevent rust.
The stock buffer is 20 mm in diameter ,and the Heavy is 23 mm.

In the standard HK buttstock,there is a 3rd attachment point inside
the buttstock.A bolt that attaches threw a plastic wedge.
You'll have to take out the wedge,or it'll rattle.

The stock PTR doesn't use this 3rd point,but I wanted it .
(You know,in case I ever needed to buttstroke someone )

So I modified the wedge and reused part of it on the base of
the heavy buffer,inside the stock.
Careful not to get any on the bolt hole,I dripped some fiberglass
used  for glassbedding around it to make it work.Actually,a lot !

The inside of the stock isn't pretty,but who cares ?
Nobody looks there.
Worked great.
The Heavy buffer reduced the shock by over half ,and the soft
recoil pad helped even more.
It kicks more like an SKS with a soft buttpad now.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:51:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Almost forgot.
The Heavy buffer will NOT work in the folding
stocks from HK.

I don't know about the aftermarket side folders,but I
assume not.

These buffers dwarf the original buffers in weight and length.

The ability to use Heavy buffers and SG-1 style saddleback
cheekrests are the advantages to having a full length stock.

+1 For Bill Springfileds triggerjobs.
It's the best addition you can get for a PTR.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:43:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Hey,

I'm a lefty too!  Maybe we should start a left-hand PTR shooters club, lol. I have the PTR91K and no problems with brass in the face...damn, thats gotta sting! At first I had buyers remorse about spending alot (for me) on a rifle. After that first shot, I realized it was a steal! I'm shooting mine next week in 3-gun.  They have a "HeMan/Heavy Metal Devision for larger caliber rifles, pump shotguns and 45s. I'll be shooting against M1s. FALs, M14s etc.

Question,  what are guys (leftys) doing for slings?  I thought about trying one of those 3 point slings that is suppose to work for changing sides, but I imagine it would still hang wrong (want to flip) when worn on the left side.  I might just get a standard carry sling and be done with it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:47:09 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I put an original HK buttstock on mine,as well as
the HK-21 Soft rubber buttpad and the G3 Heavy Buffer.
I had to add a US part,so I got an IGF US made flash hider.

Where did you buy that HK Soft Rubber Buttpad?

thanks

andy
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:40:35 PM EDT
[#13]
No one seems to have a steady supply of the
rubber buttpads meant for the HK-21.

I found mine on Sturmgewher.com.(spelling ?)

If you've never been there ,it's a sight
where you just post your parts or what your
looking for.

Sorry ,my link-fu is weak or I'd  post the link.
You'll have to google it unless someone here hot links it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:10:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Heavy Buffer Question....

Will the H&K Heavy Buffer fit on the H&K retractable stocks?

Anyone who is actually "In The Know", then I "Thank You" in advance for your knowledgable reply!

BIGGER_HAMMER

No it won't, the buffers for the fixed stocks are completely different animals than the one for the retractable stock.  They go into the fixed stock, the rubber buttpad for the 21 does help quite a bit and aren't too hard to find just have to be patient.  

Some don't like the buffertech urethane buffer, but when I talked to Ace about their folder they recommended it over the one they and Choate use for their respective folders.  So maybe for a folding stock the buffertech buffer is okay, but it does add a bit of play when used with a fixed stock on the 91, as the rear screw for the factory buffer helps the 2 smaller screws in the face of the factory buffer hold the stock to the recoil assembly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top