Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2005 11:05:08 PM EDT
I keep hearing about these high dollar buffers that you can use in a HK and JLD 91. Why are these so expensive(I hear over $200 in some cases)? What do these do that the $20 buffer form Buffertech won't do? Is it worth buying a high dollar buffer for this type of gun? Will this gun beat itself apart woth out one? Thank you!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:38:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a JLD PTR91 and recenlty got a heavy buffer for it.  Not that the gun had heavy recoil before but now it seems the recoil is cut in half or even less.  As far as I know the buffer from Buffertech is only supposed to reduce wear to the weapon and not felt recoil.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:21:20 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have a JLD PTR91 and recenlty got a heavy buffer for it.  Not that the gun had heavy recoil before but now it seems the recoil is cut in half or even less.  As far as I know the buffer from Buffertech is only supposed to reduce wear to the weapon and not felt recoil.

Do you know where I can read up on a heavy buffer and maybe buy one?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:00:04 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's a pic the different HK buffers:

HK Buffers

And here's a link to what's involved installing the heavy "two-stage" buffer in your buttstock.

Da Link
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:08:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's a pic the different HK buffers:

HK Buffers

And here's a link to what's involved installing the heavy "two-stage" buffer in your buttstock.

Da Link

Thanks Osprey! How much life will the heavy buffer add to my gun? Thank you again!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:01:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I got mine in a trade with some other things.  I would not even know where to tell you to look.  Over on HKPRO I am sure someone could help you.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 12:50:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I would not even know where to tell you to look.

HK 2 Stage Buffer
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:18:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I purchased mine from the ad link above, nice easy transaction. Item looked new.

Bill
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:16:32 PM EDT
[#8]
So can a cheep buffer from Buffertech compair to a real heavy buffer? Does anyone know if these will add life to the gun? If so how much?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:19:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
So can a cheep buffer from Buffertech compair to a real heavy buffer?

Not even close.

Does anyone know if these will add life to the gun?

I don't believe so, besides, I seriously doubt you'll wear out the gun in your lifetime. I have a 91 I bought in 1978 and it's still going strong, with at least 10K rounds through it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:55:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not even close.

I don't believe so, besides, I seriously doubt you'll wear out the gun in your lifetime. I have a 91 I bought in 1978 and it's still going strong, with at least 10K rounds through it.

So a buffer is only to reduce recoil/kick and has nothing to do with adding life to the gun by preventing it from beating itself apart over time?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:21:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not even close.

So a buffer is only to reduce recoil/kick and has nothing to do with adding life to the gun by preventing it from beating itself apart over time?

The buffer tech item replaces the well engineered steel buffer with a chunk of elastomer. While a nice idea on a rifle that doesn't come with a buffer, like a FAL, replacing the factory part with a rubber bumper is real questionable. Though, some people have been known to cut the Buffer Tech to fit around the normal buffer. I don't know whether this offers any advantage either.

Spend the $20.00 and try it, I'll pass.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:59:53 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not even close.

The buffer tech item replaces the well engineered steel buffer with a chunk of elastomer. While a nice idea on a rifle that doesn't come with a buffer, like a FAL, replacing the factory part with a rubber bumper is real questionable. Though, some people have been known to cut the Buffer Tech to fit around the normal buffer. I don't know whether this offers any advantage either.

Naaa, I 'll pass. I might pony up and buy a real heavy buffer to reduce recoil for better follow up shots. Will the heavy buffer aid in that? Thanks again!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:12:17 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not even close.

Naaa, I 'll pass. I might pony up and buy a real heavy buffer to reduce recoil for better follow up shots. Will the heavy buffer aid in that? Thanks again!

Yes, it will, that's what it's all about!  
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:29:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Do you have to worry about US compliance part counts if you want to add a heavy 2-stage buffer to a PTR-91?

Any ideas on what is would cost to have a gunsmith install the heavy buffer?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:33:07 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I purchased mine from the ad link above, nice easy transaction. Item looked new.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Got my trigger group back yesterday and I can't wait to take it to the range this weekend.  Thanks for the fast turnaround.

In addition to trigger work, do you install heavy buffers?  I'd be interested in knowing what that would cost.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:12:17 PM EDT
[#16]
In replyl to your question if the 2 stage buffer would effect your parts count:

I don't believe that recoil buffers are one of the 20 parts you need to worry about.  I'm sure someone can confirm this, but I'm pretty sure you would have nothing to worry about.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:41:14 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you have to worry about US compliance part counts if you want to add a heavy 2-stage buffer to a PTR-91?

Any ideas on what is would cost to have a gunsmith install the heavy buffer?

Buffers have nothing to do with parts count.  The parts on the PTR91 that apply to the parts count are:

Hammer
Trigger
Sear
Trigger Housing
Reciever
Trunion
Barrel
Cocking Handle
Buttstock
Forarm
Pistol Grip
Mag body
Mag follower
Mag floorplate

I am pretty sure (not 100%) that is it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top