Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2005 12:55:01 PM EDT
I'll be at a disadvantage against all the ARs due to recoil, but I'll be scored at Major Power Factor.  Anybody use an HK91 or Cetme in competition?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:28:39 PM EDT
[#1]
over in my neck of woods, they don't like peeps shooting 308, it really chew up their steel plate.

you will loose time against comped AR crowd, the recoil will cause you a better score.... power factor or not, but you will have load of fun.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:32:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Try using a 110gr load like Hornady TAP.  Really cuts the recoil to near AR levels.  Also the ballistic tip wont chew up the plates as bad.  You might look into a fragmentable bullet also.  YMMV
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:50:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Might want to read the rules, the 223 is a MPF.

As for running non AR's in three gun, if the guys all suck at your local club, you can be like my brother-inlaw and take high score using an AK with open sights.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:32:35 PM EDT
[#4]
From what I was told Rifle Power Factor is on a different scale from pistol...
to calculate the PF = Bullet Weight (gr) x velocity(fps) divided by 1000.
160-340PF = MINOR
340PF and above = MAJOR

a typical 223 load 55gr at 3240fps = 178PF  = MINOR

a typical 308 load 150gr at 2800fps = 420PF = MAJOR

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:45:28 PM EDT
[#5]

I've been using a FAL and the speed difference is no more than a second or two in some stages. That is not enough to make any difference. There are so many slow shooters with M4 clones that you will leave them in the dust. Just make sure you have the right optics to shoot fast. Optics are more important than .308 recoil.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:34:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Optics are more important than .308 recoil.

i was just going to use open sights for my first outing. What optics would you recommend for 3-gun?  I was thinking a 1x red dot or halo on a B&T mount?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:41:41 AM EDT
[#7]

I've been using a 1.5x Leupold.  A red dot would be fine. I've never used a Halo. Iron sights are too slow unless you are one of the rare people who can shoot fast with them.

Another nice thing about optics is they will help get your face out of the way of the poorly designed stock so you won't get smacked.

B&T is the way to go for a mount. Just make sure it is not too tight or it can bind up the bolt in the receiver. Check bolt movement as you tighten the mount.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:21:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the tips! I'm definately going to get some type of scope on my PTR when funds (and my wife) allows. I'm really NOT used to those diopter sights.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top