Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2005 12:18:50 PM EDT
Okay, I'm embarrassed to admit that a year or so ago I purchased an SW52D - fully understanding the problems with Special Weapons and knowing the risk.  I have a sear, though, and am interested in clones I can convert to full auto when I want to have some fun.  

Go figure, the darn thing won't run much at all.  I've found most of the problems have to do with the magazine, and have a high-end 30-rounder that works okay.  HP's are definitely a problem, but even FMJ isn't really reliable.  I heard that there are replacement spring sets and other things that can be upgraded.  Does anyone have an experience or advice on these upgrades?  I know my rifle is OEM - nothing's been changed on it from the factory.    

How would one go about getting these enhancements done?  Oh, and anybody have a lead on an SW45?  

Black Fox
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:28:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, what's the problem? FTE?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:17:11 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Well, what's the problem? FTE?

Usually FTF.  The rounds frequently jam going up the feed ramp, and the bolt actually impacts the mag on most of my mags (you can see the mag rock back and forth when cycling the bolt).  I also do have problems FTE.  Quite honestly, it's so frustrating and so much going wrong at once it's kind of hard to isolate.  I haven't shot it in about a year - just saw it in the safe, though, and thought "you know, I should get that thing fixed!!"

Have any of you guys actually had any luck sending your SW's back, and does anyone have contact info to do so?  

Black Fox
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:16:03 PM EDT
[#3]
a local shop here in MN has an SW45.    it's called Snowball Mountain Guns.  in a small town about 4 hours north of msp/st.paul called Calumet.  i believe he wants $1400.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:43:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I had problems with my SW32 in FTFire.  Found that if you replace the hammer spring with one from a HK91, problem solved.  Had a problem with FTFeed, so I made a split bushing about 3/4" long that fit in the plastic buffer towards the buttstock and increased the compression on the recoil spring.  Works fine now
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:57:18 AM EDT
[#5]
You might also want to consider the "X" upgrade from SW. That's what I did to my SW-52 and it pretty much solved all the problems that I was having with it. Now that that's been taken care of, my problem now is the excessive recoil it has and how to cure it. I mean it will literally leave a bruise on my shoulder and that makes it not too fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:09:21 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You might also want to consider the "X" upgrade from SW. That's what I did to my SW-52 and it pretty much solved all the problems that I was having with it. Now that that's been taken care of, my problem now is the excessive recoil it has and how to cure it. I mean it will literally leave a bruise on my shoulder and that makes it not too fun to shoot.

Perfect!!  Thank you, jimtash9.  I had heard of some set of spring replacements or something that fixed the problems.  Just wasn't sure what it was and if it really worked or not.

Black Fox
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:11:25 AM EDT
[#7]
jimtash9, I think I read somewhere that a stock from a 93 or 33 would help, along with a possible buffer.  I believe that someone indicated that the recoil spring was underpowered for the caliber, that it was a mp5 stock and spring SW used(may be a bunch of BS, but sounds plausable).  The stock is too short for me and I put a Limbsaver slip on pad on the back end and that really helped.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top