Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2005 6:13:30 AM EDT
I was reading the posts regarding the ORF reciever buy.
Can someone explain what the difficulty is in manufacturing a stamped reciever?  I had a Special Weapons stamped reciever and there wasn't much too it or at least it didn't appear so.  

What exactly is required to stamp one?  There is no shortage of shops here in MI at much less than full capacity that have all kinds of stamping and machining equipment.  I can't belive it can be that hard to produce a stamped reciever.

Please clue me in.  I must be missing something.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:49:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Among other things, it's takes highly specialized and expensive dies to stamp
a receiver. Each receiver type takes several of such dies. There is an enormous
initial setup cost involved to do this.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:49:58 AM EDT
[#2]
It is a multi stamping process.  The end result must be "is spec" or else the receiver is junk.  Once stamped, the welds must be precise, and the heat from welding cannot ward the receiver.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:00:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Oh yea I remember now, the dies are expensive and must be replaced.  The weld part I'm sure could be done by robot.  If the receviers are in-spec the welds, once configured, shouldn't be a huge problem.  

Anyone have information on the dies?  Are they HK property that must be licensed?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:19:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:55:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Sweet!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top