Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2005 9:59:27 AM EDT
I have been looking at the PTR-91 for a year now and finally have the cash to spend on one.  I just have a few questions for you guys that have already bought one of these fine rifles.

1) Would you guys recommend the PTR-91K (16") or the standard PTR-91?  I am leaning toward the K because it has wide handguards and is slightly compact, but the handguards are not interchangable due to the size..  Are the accuracy differences significant?

2) I want to buy a collapsible stock to put on it.  Would it fit and would I have to refinish it to make it match the finish of a PTR?

OK last question... sorry.

3) I want to put some kind of long range optic on the weapon when I get it.  What do you prefer and which claw mount should I purchase?  I don't want to gay it up with rails and TAPCO crap unless it looks authentic.

Thanks again.  I am sorry for all the questions but I just want to hear from you guys with experience.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:35:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Just got my PTR91K.  I choose the 16" for the same reasons you did. Its very accurate although I haven't shot an 18" to compare it to although I've held one at the gunshop. You'll like the Carbine. Its not much of a weight savings but the balance feels really good - weight feels closer to center.  I'm probably going to get a B&T mount from DSA and put a short range (4x) optic or red dot on it.  If your wanting longer range accuracy get the 18" and scope it accordingly.

If you want a collapsable stock, why not just get the PTR91KP instead of aftermarket?

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:31:02 PM EDT
[#2]
With good Match grade ammo and a trigger job,
you're looking at approximately 2 inch 100 yard groups
with the Kurtz PTR (16 inch) and around 1 inch or barely
under with the full length barrel.(Depending on shooter)

Shooting  at aluminum can sized targets at the 200 yard
range at the local club ,I can expect to be able to hit every
shot with iron sights and port ammo with my PTR-91 PBWB.

Honestly,with surplus ammo most won't notice a
difference at distances under 300 yards .
After 300 it will become more noticable because of
the lower bullet velocity caused by a slightly shorter barrel.

If you just want it to be able to hit a minute of person sized
target at reasonable ranges and be easily tranportable,the Kurtz is sweet.

Before buying and then switching stocks,check out
Atlantic Firearms.
The have the Kurtz and standard length PTRs with
several stock options and several different forearm
options.
If you know what you want ,I wouldn't screw around with the expense
of changing parts later when you can get it how you want
off the bat.
AS far as I know ,Atlantic is the only distributer of that many
variants of the PTR because they put some of the variant parts on themselves.

They also give a discount to Arfcomers.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:15:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought a PTR-91TF (full size)today.  I also picked up a Wide forearm for it.  The OEM forearm is Garbage.  

I have been looking and researching and reading about these things since before the ban expired.

I am glad I waited and avoided all the tight chamber problems and got one with a Flash hider on it.

I got it at Jensen Arms in Loveland CO, really nice shop and great prices.

I could not bring myself to buy the Kurz model.  Why!?!  It costs more and is only 1 or 2 inches shorter in OAL.  It also costs more and has a shorter sight radius.  Yes it does have a Cool factor but I am not into that like I used to be.

I can't wait to shoot it and compare it to my FAL's.  

It will fit nicely into my humble HK collection which currently consists of an Hk94,93 SL6,SL7,770, P9S,P7M13,USP.45,USP.40, P2000.

Came home and ordered some mags from CDNN, Steel ones not those flimsy tin can things and now I am looking for a bipod and a B&T low profile scope mount.  These might have to wait.

Buy one.  Buy one today.  Run dont walk.  They are very nice and the price is great!  I think the finish is better than the HK's I own and mine are all NIB.

Needs a good cleaning and lubing and should be good 2 go for the range.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:21:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you for all the information guys!  I didn't expect this much help in making my decision.  There is only one local gunshop that carries these and his prices are $150 more than Atlantic Firearms.  He carries the PTR-91K and the PTR-91KFO.  I thought the KFO looked very gay.  I fell in love with the PTR-91K, but I want the collapsible stock for the "Kick Ass" factor.  Minute of Looter accuracy is fine.  So many options I just can't decide.  

Atlantic AR15.com prices:

PTR-91 KP    $1099

PTR-91 K       $839

PTR-91          $739

PTR-91 A1     $1059

Hmm...  It looks like the prices are very inflated on the KP models.  The aftermarket stock I have seen are $175.  There is a $260 difference in the prices for the stock.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:20:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I bought a PTR-91TF (full size)today.  I also picked up a Wide forearm for it.  The OEM forearm is Garbage.  
I could not bring myself to buy the Kurz model.  Why!?!  It costs more and is only 1 or 2 inches shorter in OAL.  

Agreed, the forearm guard on the standard PTR sucks.  But if you bought the Standard and then paid $75 for another forearm guard, you would almost have enough to buy the Carbine. The Carbine comes with a much better quality forearm. Atlantic offers the 18" with an upgraded wide forarm for $829 (vs $769 for the standard).  Also, 2 inches doesn't seem like much on paper, but it does feel different on the gun.  Its not just the barrel thats shorter, its seems to be shortened on the cocking assembly as well.  I'm not saying you didn't make a good purchase, I'm also going to pickup an 18 incher.  Just that the cost isn't that big of a deal if your deciding between a standard (and plan on changing the forearm) or a Carbine.

Got mine from Militaryshooters.com for $849 with Free shipping.

On the issue of short site radius... the carbine IS shorter, but if  Iput a scope on it, than its not really an issue is it? I mean, a scope on a 16" gun should look the same as on an 18" right? please correct me if I am wrong.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:28:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I tell you what I'd buy in a heartbeat if they offered it: KP with a 17.3" barrel and Phantom .308 hider.

I e-mail the company but they said, "No can do."
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:11:36 PM EDT
[#7]
My PTR cost $760 and the forearm was $60 total $820 pre tax.  The K model was $899 pre tax.  I saved almost $80.  Not a ton but its still $80 in my pocket.

Most importantly I purchased it because I like the original better than the K.  

Yes mounting optics on it negates the sight radius arguement but mounting optics on these rifles always marks the finish and I have not decided if I want to do that just yet.

Its all good.  

You pay your money and you take your chances.

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:40:27 PM EDT
[#8]
You can often save $$$$ by purchasing a more
standard version of the PTR and adding custom
parts later.

If your going to switch out parts ,please remember to
confirm that you have enough US made parts in your
rifle,or else it is an illegal build !

One nice thing about just buying what you want is that
you don't have to count parts to be shore.

Remember,many of the cheaper PTRs use a US
made butt stock as one of their US parts.

Switching for a foreign folding stock would then require
adding another US part ,such as a hammer or sear.

The cost of buying those compliance parts may make it cost
more than just buying the variant you wanted in the first place.

I wanted an original HK stock on mine,and I had to add a
compliance part.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:41:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Some extras won't work on the PTR stock.

Hk-21 Soft rubber buttpad,MSG-90 buffer,and
G3 Heavy Buffer to name a few.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:17:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:12:43 AM EDT
[#11]
What's the difference between the PTR 91 and the PTR 91F?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:23:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Keep in mind that those collapsible stocks aren't made in the US (at least not the ones I've seen), and the stocks on the standard PTR91 and PTR91K are US compliance part.  

On the  PTR91KP, both the hammer and sear are U.S. made.  On the PTR91 and PTR91K, it's only one or the other, so to keep it legal, if you want to add a collapsible stock, you may have to find out which is US made in your gun and swap out the swap the foreign hammer or sear.  (You can get the necessary compliance part from JLD for about $20 + S&H.)

Once you've taken care of the legalities, the collapsible stock is easy to install and doesn't require any refinishing to look right with the PTR finish.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:28:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:02:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
FYI, we do offer AR15.COM discounts off our web site prices, please email us with a request and your AR15.COM user name. We have sold hundreds of the PTR line and have been pleased with them , yes you will pay more for the KP type models, usually you can purchase the base model & pick up a aftermarket collapsing stock and save.However be carefull there are several crappy collapsing stocks on the market, a good stock should run $200 plus.     [email protected]
WWW.ATLANTICFIREARMS.COM

Really? Hmmmm sure do wish I knew that before I bought mine!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:06:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Just a thought - the .308 with a collapsible stock isn't going to be pretty on your shoulder. Understand that it looks kool but I would not want to be your shoulder the next day. I have a 91K and love it. My HK93 has a collapsible stock and not too bad with .223 but .308? I don’t know.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:35:06 PM EDT
[#16]
The ptr91 KP w/ the collapsible stock is a comfortable rifle to shoot, unless you are a little ar15 turd who cant handle a little recoil....
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:25:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Nice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top