Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2005 7:47:28 AM EDT
So, I'm at the point that I'm finally going to do my SL8/G36 conversion, and had a couple of questions.

Supposedly the SL8 barrel is a hammer-forged "match" barrel.

I notice many people who have turned their barrels down to a smaller profile to more accurately match the real G36.

Has anyone experienced any accuracy issues as a result?

I saw a thread over at HKpro commenting that profiling a hammer-forged barrel is a bad thing, and comments that it has affected the accuracy of their SL8/G36.

Just looking for some information before I do that part of the project.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:09:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:54:25 PM EDT
[#2]
kythri - Oregon is a Class III state.  Have you thought about SBRing your SL8-1?  You then would not have to comply with the "U.S. parts count" on the rifle.  I would definately get a G36 mag well, so you could use G36 magazines.  You then could put an actual HK G36 barrel in the rifle.  The advantage of that is that you would not have to worry about moving the gas block back, if you decided to use a shorter hanguard.  Obviously, there are alot of choices when it comes to undertaking this FUN project.  Good luck!http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/428SCJ/100_0883.jpg  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:04:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, I actually like the overall look of the full length G36 over a short/SBR version.

What are disadvantages of moving the gas block back?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:33:32 PM EDT
[#4]
The disadvantage of moving the gas block back is that there will be a hole in the barrel that will need to be patched.  And that patch will not last forever, especially if the firearm is shot on a regular basis.  That's why on alot of SL8 conversions you will see a portion of the gas block sticking out of a K forearm.  The K forearm also requires some material removed from it if  one goes this route.  Some just didn't want their barrel patched(and I don't blame them) and others didn't want to go the SBR route (state laws or didn't want the hassle).  However in your case, the barrel on the G36E is long enough so you won't have to worry.  Larry Reimer can turn down your stock SL8 barrel to G36E specs and also attach a G36E flash hider and bayo lug.  He's the SL8 barrel guru.  He's very nice and does great work.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:17:50 PM EDT
[#5]
So it's only the K forearms that the gas deal sticks out on?  The "normal" full-length one, it doesn't stick out?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:03:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes kythri, you are correct.  You will have to purchase a G36E forearm.  No big deal, they are available.  The G36E conversion should be alot less than my "K" conversion.  The "K" or "C" conversions run the most.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:36:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Sweet.

Question about the folding stock:

How does it lock up, both in the folded and extended position?  Is there a positive retention lock, or is it just a stiff hinge?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:29:16 PM EDT
[#8]
There is a positive retention lock to keep it in the extended position(I used to have a pic of it).  However, if you use the "C" stock it will not be able to lock when it is folded.  This is because of the extra length the SL8 has in it's receiver as opposed to a real G36.  I prefer the "C" stock, because the LOP is better for me and it's finish is better than the TN one.  The TN one will be able to lock in the folded position allowing one to fire the weapon in that manner if he chooses.  However the TN will give the operator a much longer LOP.  The choice is obviously up to you.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:43:41 PM EDT
[#9]
What if, for aesthetics sake, one wanted to put the G36E (full length) HK stock on it?

Will that allow it to be fired?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:43:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes, but that's what the TN stock is( it's the one you get when you orderr their SL8/G36 kit).  A full length G36 stock is going to give you a very long pull on the weapon.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:43:46 AM EDT
[#11]
The TN stock is an HK stock?

I thought it was built/molded by SW/TN.

Wild.

Well, I'll give it a try then before I either swap stocks or have the hinge chopped - I'm 6'8" tall, so it might fit nicely.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:34:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:32:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:24:17 AM EDT
[#14]
I had Ed at www.hdps.org do my conversion and I'm very happy with it.

Ed recommended NOT moving the gas block because of the patch and also because you have to cut the original rod.  Rod breakage is an issue if you move the gas block and cut your original rod.  If you do want to move the block, I would advise getting a factory K rod.

We were shooting a friend of mine's who had his block moved.  The rod broke and if we didnt catch it, it could have severely damaged the receiver.  

M
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:48:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Good point MV.  Ed Montana did alot on my rifle too!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:10:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I had Ed at www.hdps.org do my conversion and I'm very happy with it.

Ed recommended NOT moving the gas block because of the patch and also because you have to cut the original rod.  Rod breakage is an issue if you move the gas block and cut your original rod.  If you do want to move the block, I would advise getting a factory K rod.

We were shooting a friend of mine's who had his block moved.  The rod broke and if we didnt catch it, it could have severely damaged the receiver.  

M

If I decide to go the K forearm route, I think that I'll leave the gasblock alone as well - honestly, I kinda like that little nub sticking out - looks kinda cool...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top