Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2005 6:21:45 PM EDT
In the world of small arms, previous generation rifles rarely come into play in modern warfare.   The M-14 is a success story, never really leaving since Vietnam, showing up everynow and then, and a hit with designated marksmen in Iraq.  The Cold War battle rifles' main problem is weight.  Are there areas the G3 could lighten up?  Just the trigger pack is hefty by itself.  What is the weight of an original trigger group and the new synthetic navy pack?  Any other places it could lose some weight?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:02:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I didnt realize a 9 pound rifle was a problem?  When firing a round like .308win that extra weight works for you in terms  of recoil.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:15:22 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I didnt realize a 9 pound rifle was a problem?  When firing a round like .308win that extra weight works for you in terms  of recoil.

Ask anyone who's humped anything on a 10 mile ruck march and every bit of weight off helps.  As long as you aren't firing in auto or burst, a couple pounds off the rifle shouldn't do any damage.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:16:43 AM EDT
[#3]
The weight of the rifle stems from the fast that the rifle is a blow back system (delayed).  This means instead of having a gas sytem to unlock the action, the bolt is held closed by the mass of the carrier, the tension of the spring, and the interaction of the rollers sedged into the trunion.

Simple put, the meat/weight of the rifle is the action, and it can not be lightened any father without increasing the tension of the recoil spring (read any stonger and you would have a hell of a time getting the carrier all the way back after unlock by hand).
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:33:11 AM EDT
[#4]
No doubt the action itself must be heavy by the nature of the operating system, but couldn't weight be shed from the trigger group and the receiver itself?  New materials, something?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:43:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't think you could lighten the receiver any and keep the strength needed to maintain structural integrity.  There are those aluminum receivers, but they're huge.  Are they any lighter at that point?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:11:08 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I don't think you could lighten the receiver any and keep the strength needed to maintain structural integrity.  There are those aluminum receivers, but they're huge.  Are they any lighter at that point?

I have no idea.  Anyone got the weight for the old trigger pack to the new?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:17:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I find just about every component of the G3 makes it very heavy.  The barrel and carrier seem to me to add the most weight though.

Has anyone felt how heavy just the A3 stock is!?

It is my feeling that someone could maybe shave off only 1 lb, maybe 1 1/2 lbs.

Trigger could maybe save a few ounces.

I know the HK51 carrier is cut down quite a bit, maybe with the G3k locking piece, the G3 could work realiable with the shorter HK51 carrier?

Shorten the barrel down to 16", a few more ounces.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:33:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Who knows what the future of the rifle will be.  I guess the FN SCAR will eventually take over every modern military?  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:08:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Aluminum receiver? The lower can and currently is made of plastic. Lighter weight plastics, etc.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:52:24 PM EDT
[#10]
modernization includes switch to a smaller caliber, the G36 does just that.

There's no point to modernize a G3 when they already have the G36.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:34:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Inasmuchas the M14 is still around, I'd guess it actually gained weight. The only improvements have been to add stuff to it in the way of suppressors and rails for attaching optics and lights and such.

The G3 is nice just as it is. It was intended as full auto battle rifle and that is where the weight comes in.

I've fired the G3 in auto a lot and never found it uncontrollable. It wasn't designed for full mag dumps but for burst of 2-4 rounds.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top