Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2005 6:28:19 PM EDT
I ordered a PTR91 pbwb from Blaine at Atlantic Firearms.
I have to rate my experience with him a 9.5 on 10 scale.  Fast service, very efficient and seems
like a good guy as well.

The guy that I got to do the transfer, well let's rate that experience at about a 4.

Oh yeah, the rifle:  looks great, nice welds, everything seems to operate smoothly, trigger pack fits tight and the trigger itself doesn't feel llike a cement block dragging on concrete.  (That's with the trigger pack in my hand with my thumb blocking the hammer and not actually in the rifle being shot)
Fmp 95 dated bolt carrier that show little wear.  Good finish.

I hope to take it out and shoot it tomorrow if the weather permits.

As a side note to the newbies out there.  If you plan on taking the bolt assembly apart to inspect and clean like I did.  Be sure to have your assembly manual handy.  Putting that bolt head back onto the bolt assembly can be a bit tricky.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:35:09 PM EDT
[#1]
ahh,  the g3 clone.  you just bought your next favorate gun.  enjoy.  

BTW... there is no real reason to disassemble the trigger pack unless it gets REALLY dirty, or your having trouble.  it can be a pain to get back together.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:07:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I got mine about three weeks ago and shot it last week.  It's a blast!  I hear you on that bolt assembly.  I had no idea what the hell was going on and eventually had to use a pair of pliers and a washcloth to rotate that bolt head in.   You'll love it when you shoot it.  It's got a nice kick to wake you up after shooting AR's all day and the diopter sights can't be beat.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:15:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I want to get one of these.  Our dealer has one, I checked it out.  Definitely on my list of "to gets"
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:18:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd love to have one, but as a diligent handloader, I can't spent $$$ on a rifle with a fluted chamber.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:52:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I have had my postban PTR-91 without flash hider for just over a year now and i am vary pleased with the over all quality and accurate shooting profile the weapon provides.  My dealer just aquired the PTR-91 K model with the standard A2 stock, flash hider and the 16" inch barrel really give this system the short and cool look as i almost thought i was looking at the HK93.  Been scratching my head and pulling hairs to keep from buying this new rifle.  JDL are doing a fine job for updating this hot weapon.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:56:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I have handled these at the local shop.  A PTR might eclipse an AR on my first assault rifle buy.  30cal vs .22cal.  Hmmm.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:02:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Congrats!!!

After you take the bolt apart a few times, it will get easier for you
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 12:30:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I got it out to the range Thursday to try it out.

I was only able to shoot about 50 rounds between rain showers and it was a little dark at the old range up on Sheldon road in the Houston area.
I was shooting Port surplus and had no problems so far with operation of the rifle.
I did have a hell of a time with the rear sight adjustment.  Like everyone else (it seems) I ended up
using some hemostats to do the adjustments.  I had it almost dead on at 25 meters and over did it a
couple of notches, ended up too high and then the bottom fell out of the clouds along with some
bad ass lightening. So, I had to load up and head back to the house.
I need to do some final tuning of the rear sight and all will be well.
Overall first impression is good although 50 rounds is not a true shakedown run in my opinion.
Trigger work will definately be on my list in the future.
I did not notice any extreme recoil like has been previously reported on these rifles.
Once the old bank account rebounds, I can see another variation  of these in the safe.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:31:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I did have a hell of a time with the rear sight adjustment.  Like everyone else (it seems) I ended up
using some hemostats to do the adjustments.  

Buy the sight tool.  It makes it much easier.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:37:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Contact Bill Springfield in CO. for the trigger work. Good work and very reasonable. Super fast turnaround time too!
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 12:11:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Contact Bill Springfield in CO. for the trigger work. Good work and very reasonable. Super fast turnaround time too!

+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top