Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2005 11:41:19 AM EDT
I just bought one. I shot it last night, and it is very accurate. But it is still a "plastic gun" and I feel like I have to baby it, unlike a HK9X rifle.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:49:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I had one, and liked it aside from the stupid thumbhole stock and lo-cap mags.  Unfortunately that was enough to make me want to get rid of it.  The hell I want a ten-shot .45 that weighs six pounds when I can have one that weighs two?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:03:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Shot 3 all stock models, loved em!  However it seems most dif to add to my short list-----what he said---------

Hope I have the mind/budget to pick one up as you did.   The USC seemed very soild to me and I loved the stock sights as well.  Also aside from its fugly looks, it was very comfy with a great point n hit vibe!  my .02 anyway.

Thought they stopped selling new in USA?  

GTD
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:52:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I just bought one. I shot it last night, and it is very accurate. But it is still a "plastic gun" and I feel like I have to baby it, unlike a HK9X rifle.

Well, that plastic receiver is probably more durable than the stamped steel of a HK9x weapon.

I'd buy a USC if I was made of money.  I would hate it until I did a UMP conversion.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:22:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I like mine just fine.  Butt ugly, sickeningly PC, and the only 10 round mags make you want to scream, but it is a lot of fun to shoot, fantastically accurate, and while I will not alter mine from stock it makes a wonderful platform on which to build a really nice UMP conversion.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:28:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh man, now I have to have one!--------But the going price is #$%%$ insane.  Could have got one right, however I like to buy high-sell --low!!

Oh well I am about 2-3wks from getting my MT6601C!! and thats a good thing as well!!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:53:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I am with GoldtopDude..  I want one..  I missed the boat on them...
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:33:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Shoots great.  I have one.  The ONLY reason I even bought one was to convert it to a UMP.   After the AW ban ended, LE mags were finally available for the conversion.  The gun itself, is a good shooter.  Simple bloback design.  Very hard to screw that up.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:55:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I like mine, but I think that the standard sights suck. I added a Trijicon reflex to it. The original owner had it dyed forest green. I also added a fore end pistol grip. I love it now.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:02:25 PM EDT
[#9]
UZI4you,

I may be wrong, but aren't you a big Steyr AUG fella.......I do believe that is another plastic gun

HK_DUDE

Are you back in the FM area?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:50:42 PM EDT
[#10]
All in all, it ain't worth the money.

What are UMP conversions running these days?  3K?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:56:49 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
UZI4you,

I may be wrong, but aren't you a big Steyr AUG fella.......I do believe that is another plastic gun

HK_DUDE

Are you back in the FM area?

I am a fan of the Steyr and now HK plastic guns.

I am back in WI, but I hope to make it back to Fargo Moorhead in the fall. We will have to go shooting with Dave and his MGs

Take care,

Chris
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:13:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Wow..prices have gone up since I last looked at one.

Is $1200-$1500 the going price for a used one now?

Could of had one at a gun show this last spring for $850, but I thought that was a little too high..should of bought it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:22:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I just bought one slightly used for $1025 shipped and I feel I did pretty darn good. I have the TN stuff coming.

Chris, I look forward to it...make sure you keep in touch.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:02:33 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I just bought one slightly used for $1025 shipped and I feel I did pretty darn good. I have the TN stuff coming.

Chris, I look forward to it...make sure you keep in touch.

Sounds like a good deal to me. The one I bought came with the M3 Grease Gun lower, and 3 GG mags, the orginal lower for $1000. Or $1,065 after tax.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:18:12 PM EDT
[#15]
You got a good deal......
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:31:26 PM EDT
[#16]
I have one and I love it.

Bomber
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:34:40 PM EDT
[#17]
I had that picture for my wallpaper for a while. I love your USC/UMP...it is just plan BADASS!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:53:10 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I had that picture for my wallpaper for a while. I love your USC/UMP...it is just plan BADASS!

Yeah, the picture of his made me decide right then and there I was going with TE and their conversion and so hopefully mine will be done in another month. Man I can't wait.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:19:30 PM EDT
[#19]
That 'TE' 700 dollar conversion would be slightly easier to swallow if they would fix the hammer wear issue ( or whatever part it is )

It would also be nice if they threw in a nice dye job and vent cuts with that 700 conversion ( after they fix that wear issue )

I think more people would jump in if there were a few more "added in" options and that wear issue was resolved.

I am in no way knocking TE, but 700 bucks is a lot of money... to me anyway....

I do hope they resolve that issue soon... it will greatly help their sales, I'm sure of it.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:41:43 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
That 'TE' 700 dollar conversion would be slightly easier to swallow if they would fix the hammer wear issue ( or whatever part it is )

It would also be nice if they threw in a nice dye job and vent cuts with that 700 conversion ( after they fix that wear issue )

I think more people would jump in if there were a few more "added in" options and that wear issue was resolved.

I do hope they resolve that issue soon... it will greatly help their sales, I'm sure of it.

As far as I know that issue only affects non-SBR's and the use of his parts and luckily mine is a SBR, so I'm not too concerned about it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:14:03 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As far as I know that issue only affects non-SBR's and the use of his parts and luckily mine is a SBR, so I'm not too concerned about it.

Exactly.....and I didn't pay $700 either.

Bomber
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:49:36 AM EDT
[#22]
I talked to at least one guy who did the conversion himself.....with the TN stock/receiver connector piece. He did the mods to the UMP lower himself and he was done. His too was an SBR, so he didn't have to worry about parts counts.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:12:03 PM EDT
[#23]
can some one please explain this wear issue as I am about to purchase the converison, but am holding off on the SBR option for now....
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:22:57 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
can some one please explain this wear issue as I am about to purchase the converison, but am holding off on the SBR option for now....

I only have limited knowledge on this because I just started to look into this conversion. But the U.S. made parts of the TE conversion include the hammer, and trigger. The trigger and hammer are prone damange and wear out real quick.

This is why those who SBR their USC do not have to worry about the parts wearing out because they use HK UMP parts.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:12:41 PM EDT
[#25]
What it currently says on their website is that the US parts that they make is a sear (stainless) and an aluminum magazive follower. When the new SS sear is used, it makes the sear notch in the factory hammer wear very quickly.

For test 2 we were testing all the U.S. compliance parts.  The parts tested were a sear, magazine follower, and magazine base.  The sear was first tested with a 2000 cycle dry fire test and then all parts were live fired with 300 rounds of 230 grain Winchester white box ammo.  There were no malfunctions or problems while firing.  The only problem we have noted with the conversion parts is accelerated wear on the HK hammer.  This wear does not make the part unsafe but does limit it's life.  Because of this, we are suggesting this conversion only for the causal shooter.  We will begin developing another compliance part to remove the wear issue.  Our conversion sear is not used in our conversions for registered Short Barreled Rifles.  Read on below for more testing details.

The first part of our test was to test the new sear for extended use.  All parts were assembled into a USC lower.  The test was preformed by pulling the trigger to release the hammer letting it fall onto a hammer stop, recocking the hammer, then releasing the trigger to reset the hammer.  This was done for a total of 2000 times.  

Hammer and sear operation was checked periodically for positive engagement.  This is done by pulling the trigger slowly and observing the hammer.  With positive engagement, before the sear releases the hammer, the hammer should start to move rearward to a more cocked position.  If the trigger is not pulled far enough to release the sear from the hammer, when the trigger is released, the hammer should move back to it's original position.  Neutral engagement is when the hammer does not move reward as the trigger is started to be pulled or the hammer does not move back to its relaxed position when the trigger is released before the sear releases the hammer.  Negative engagement is when a slight pull of the trigger will allow the sear to slip away from the hammer or when the hammer can be pushed on and it will fall without any pull of the trigger.  Both neutral and negative engagement is considered unsafe.

Engagement was checked every 100 cycles for the first 1000 cycles of the test.  During the last 1000 cycles, engagement was checked every 50 cycles.  At no time did the hammer and sear show anything but positive engagement.  By the end of the test the distance the trigger had to be pulled for the sear to release the hammer had been reduced.  At no time during testing was the hammer and sear deemed unsafe.

After dry cycles were complete, the sear just tested and a new hammer were installed into a converted UMP lower assembly and tested with a fully converted USC.  During the 300 round test, no problem of any kind was experienced.

To the left is a photo of 3 hammers.  The one to the left is a new hammer.  

The hammer in the middle is from the 300 round live fire test.  You can already begin to see wear on the sear notch.

The hammer on the right is from the 2000 dry cycle test.  You can see just how worn the sear notch has become.  Although this hammer never showed any unsafe action during testing, the amount of wear will result in a shorter useful life when using our sear as compared to using an HK sear.

TE website

You need to go to USC conversion and check out test 2, the link woun't go directly there.

I do believe that the Top Totch conversion include the US made sear and trigger.

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:52:04 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I only have limited knowledge on this because I just started to look into this conversion. But the U.S. made parts of the TE conversion include the hammer, and trigger. The trigger and hammer are prone damange and wear out real quick.

This is why those who SBR their USC do not have to worry about the parts wearing out because they use HK UMP Factory original USC fire control parts.

Let me correct that for you.

Bomber
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:29:53 AM EDT
[#27]
That was word for word directly off of their website.

Thanks for that note though.

Oops, you weren't talking to me.......
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 9:08:07 AM EDT
[#28]
I had one and traded it for a nib dsa sa58 carbine. Now I'm happy.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:26:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:32:18 PM EDT
[#30]
I have had my USC for three years now and only used this unique pastic carbine for light demo use with friends at the local range.  The first time i introduced the gun to locals at a gun range many lookee loo's thought it might be limited release toy made by Toys R us until i chambered a round and emptied ten rounds down range and the reward of the nine and ten ring were missing at fourty plus feet.

The negitive comments  were replaced with requests to shoot and handle this tight package and where someone could aquire this carbine.  Even with the limited ten round magizine this gun is in high demand due to its looks and because anything H&K that no longer is being imported is highly collectible.  The 900.00 dollars i paid for this little grey beast was worth every penny, i aquired extra mags and a rail for a an Eotech 551 and plan on keeping her all original.  good to go.....  

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:05:39 PM EDT
[#31]
The USC conversions that use gc mags, are they converted mags or not? If they are what is different about them?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:33:12 PM EDT
[#32]
No, The mags are just plain old M3 GG mags.....
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:25:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Not bad for a plastic gun.

Better test would be to leave it the sun on the dashboard of your car with
the windows rolled up on a 98 degree day.  

If it doesnt melt or warp like a cassette tape, id think its good to go!!

KyARGuy
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:29:27 AM EDT
[#34]
the iron sights aren't all THAT bad, but I'm itching for night sights......
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:47:55 AM EDT
[#35]
and here's mine!  The ATN was moved to a range gun ever since I started using this as a under-the-bed gun.  I like the ATN, but not as tough as their other scopes are!  Thinking of a ZEISS Z-point for this guy now, or at least until a metal tripower comes out.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:50:00 AM EDT
[#36]
I've shot the USC.  It shoots very well, especially if one uses a red dot sight.  The UMP conversions that are coming out make it look even better.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:03:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Chapperjoe:

Nice shroud...... I made it.......

The mag mod that you did is what inspired me to stay with the GG conversion and not jump all the way to the UMP conversion. The GG mags look odd, but with the lower part of the wrap-a-round upper tab removed.....it looks much better.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:13:45 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Chapperjoe:

Nice shroud...... I made it.......

The mag mod that you did is what inspired me to stay with the GG conversion and not jump all the way to the UMP conversion. The GG mags look odd, but with the lower part of the wrap-a-round upper tab removed.....it looks much better.

really, you made that  tha'ts hilarious.  looks good.  What screws would you use to hold it on,,,  I haven't tried any yet.

and the mag mod does hep, but I'[m thinking of going UMP mags.... should be around 600bucks and top notch is waiting on them.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:30:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Yup...I've been making them and selling them for about a year now. I make them for other guns as well. There were screws supplied when shipped. It's installed now....isn't it? I may just be mis-understanding you.....other wise, I just use 10-32 screws....they actually fit perfect. I know the threads are metric, but it's uncanny how perfec they fit..I never even realized until lately that the threaded inserts were metric. I send 3/4" (if memory serves me right) to use with the rails and 1/2" for use with no rails.

I intend to use the GG at least for a while.....until I decide if the extra money is worth spending...for me.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:39:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Mine didn't come with screws, I just slip it on for pics.  I got a good deal on GG mags a while back so I have like 50 of em, but they feed two rifles!

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:12:37 AM EDT
[#41]
They look great.

E-mail me at [email protected] with your mailing addy and I will send you what you need....FREE.

If you sell any mags, let me know.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:11:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:39:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Do the conversion kits alter your USC?  Can they be returned to original condition?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:47:53 PM EDT
[#44]
The only thing that you can't undo is you have to remove a little of the thin plastic on the bottom of the receiver so a larger GG mag can fit up inside through the magwell. It will still work with the original lower unit and stock though....you can still switch back and use your 10 rounders. Although you will probably never want to
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top