Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2005 8:09:10 PM EDT
Well I picked up my first Bobcat firearm, via Atlantic Firearms, last week and finally got around to shooting it.    All I can say is WOW what a difference between the SW-5 I've seen and this one.  

First off the finish on the it is amazing.  Dont know what they used but it looks great.  As for the welds,  they also did a great job in finishing the rifle so you cant see the welds.  Don't know about the US parts count but I think it is mostly US parts.  Everything fit together nice and tight.  As for the front forearm piece, it looks like they took a MP5K front grip and cut the grip off and filled in the hole and painted over it with a textured paint.  Not to bad.  Sights look to be G3 sights with the V notch for the 100 meters, Personally like that instead of the 25 meter big circle on the 94.  But since 9mm over 100 yards is "hope I hit the barn" I dont care to much.

As for shooting I put 200rds through it and not one FTE or FTF.  Since I was sighting other rifles that day I was at 100 yards and didn't what to move I kept shooting at a 30 gallon barrel.  I was always hitting it or around it when trying to aim the 89.  But only did this for 30/200 rds.  Dont know about SP89 but BW89 have a small hole in back of the end cap where the recoil rod is and it lets gases/carbon fly back at the shooter face.  Kinda like my P7, but this dosen't happen on my 94.  

The insides of the pistol had some interesting finds.  The recoil rod looks very different then "HK" rods.  It looks like a rod with two allen bolts/screws on each end.  It still works?    The trigger pack is plastic, which is interesting.  I dont know if a metal one will wear less or not.  Since the pins are all metal and some plastics are very wear resistant.  The bolt looks like BW made it, since I didn't see any markings on it.  The carrier is a S/A carrier and looks forged as one peice.  Barrel looks nice and bright.

As for the deal, Atlantic firearms are great people to deal with and with the arfcom discount it was about $1420 shipping included.  Comes with a nice case and a 30rd mag.  Dont know who made the mag.

Final thoughs,  This is the first BW weapon I have ever owned, and was nervous about the SW/BW thing.  Will I purchase again.  Sure why not.  Personally think it is of good quality.  Also have a V53 pistol and there is a big difference.  89 has a better finish, better fit, and worked right out of the box.   Never had dealings with BW, so cant say on the service,   Vector has very good service, also .   Had a friend with a SW-5 and you cant compare the two.  This is just my opinion and you can take it of leave it.  Just trying to add information on a new product to the arfcom hive mind.  If you have anyother question ask.  Also no pictures at this time.  Mom barrowed my camera for a trip to Florida.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:31:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the info, that's good to hear.  I've been considering the BW89 Pistol as a sear host.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 10:42:20 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
This is just my opinion and you can take it of leave it.  Just trying to add information on a new product to the arfcom hive mind.  If you have anyother question ask.  Also no pictures at this time.  Mom barrowed my camera for a trip to Florida.

Thatnks for the review.

The only problem I've heard lately with BW products is that they put the finish on a little thick, and you may have trouble putting accessories on the 3 lug, although a quick finish strip and reapplication fixes it.

How's the paddle mag release?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:19:08 PM EDT
[#3]
The paddle mag release work as it should and I had no problems with it as for the tri-lug dont know yet.  The finish is thick but it does look good.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:50:05 AM EDT
[#4]
WaMag - I can tell you first hand your three lug accessories will NOT fit because of the thick powder coat finish.  What you have to do is remove the existing finish (I used a dremel and took 5 minutes), prep it, and then apply a thin even coat of high temp BBQ paint.  Let it thoroughly dry and then your attachments will fit.  This is what I had to do.  You can also send it back to BW, but it will take weeks to get it back.

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:34:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I have have owned my BW5 FS for about one year now and this gun always that been the fun one of the bunch. had some magizine issues at first but after i aquired some factory POF 30 rounders all the litte FTE's problems drifted away. The paint finsh is thick as hell and had a real difficult time mounting a A3 stock and decided to go with the B&T side folder. Now this folder is the ticket, real nice egronomic design and kind to the cheek bone, provides excellent elevation for good sight picture and keeps the gun nice and light just like the original A2 standard buttstock. The stock is a little spendy at 225.00 dollars but its a vast improvement over that heavy A3 style..  Have fun and enjoy that gun.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:52:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Bif_elf you have a pic of your BW5 with the B&T stock?  I just got a SW89 pistol and would like to SBR it.  I'm debating whether or not to get a collapsible stock or the B&T.  Are they the same length?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 11:56:08 AM EDT
[#7]
The B&T UMP style stock is about 1.5 inches longer than the fully extnded retractible stock based on my best gestimate. I belive that the pistol version can only use the side folder, the reractible stock rail giudes are blocked based on rail design.

As an positive option i have the original choate MP5K side folder NIW that i bought for a project gun that would fit your gun providing you SBR the weapon. I paid 130.00 for the thing and would drop it your direction for 100.00 plus 6.00 for shipping if your interested.

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 12:10:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
WaMag - I can tell you first hand your three lug accessories will NOT fit because of the thick powder coat finish.  What you have to do is remove the existing finish (I used a dremel and took 5 minutes), prep it, and then apply a thin even coat of high temp BBQ paint.  Let it thoroughly dry and then your attachments will fit.  This is what I had to do.  You can also send it back to BW, but it will take weeks to get it back.

I just received one of those 3lug flash hinder and it will fit but if you turn it counter-clockwise it comes right off, did this happen to yours?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 10:19:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm looking at these BW89s as an SBR project.  Anybody know what the dealer cost is on one of these?
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 8:45:26 AM EDT
[#10]
If I had to guess maybe $1250-1300?
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:19:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
If I had to guess maybe $1250-1300?

That's what I'm thinking 'cause the stocking dealers want to charge my dealer about $1,450 for them.  I could be tempted into one of these for about $1,100.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 11:39:23 AM EDT
[#12]
WaMag - mine wouldn't take a three lug hider until I removed the original finish and put a thinner finish on.  Once I got it on, it wouldn't come off until I popped that retaining latch.  Looks like you got the opposite effect than I did.

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 11:53:44 AM EDT
[#13]
What's the trigger like on one of these?

Do you think they may be capable of bump fire.  I've only shot full auto MP5's and get laughed at every time I ask to try.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 12:43:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Bump fire an HK? Very Very Very hard, I've never done it or seen it done.  I can bump fire an AK-74 from my shoulder 3 out of 4 times for about ten rounds or so.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 12:46:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
WaMag - mine wouldn't take a three lug hider until I removed the original finish and put a thinner finish on.  Once I got it on, it wouldn't come off until I popped that retaining latch.  Looks like you got the opposite effect than I did.

Looks like I need to take the finish off also.  You shouldn't be able to twist it and have it come off.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 1:44:41 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Bump fire an HK? Very Very Very hard, I've never done it or seen it done.  I can bump fire an AK-74 from my shoulder 3 out of 4 times for about ten rounds or so.

Yeah, I can bump full mags from every semi I own.  This would be THE deciding factor in my purchase of one of the BW weapons.  Otherwise, I'll just build a 9mm AR.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:03:14 PM EDT
[#17]
WaMag,

Not hijacking, but I would like to post my experience so for with my BW89......for the love of all that is good in the world.....mine is friggin awsome. Was only able to put about 50 rounds thru it this weekend......not one failure of any kind...fit and function are awsome I have added a Falcon navy grip and a clone low profile claw rail ($35.00). Filling out the forms now.....I also just put on an 0-1 lower (after picture) would have never been able to purchase an HK but unless this thing proves me wrong, I will never look back. Ammo was 115 gr WWW......

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:23:19 PM EDT
[#18]
That looks awesome.  If mine comes with the metal lower, can I just yank the trigger pack out and put it in a clipped and pinned SOU (SEF like) plastic housing when I get it?
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:46:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
That looks awesome.  If mine comes with the metal lower, can I just yank the trigger pack out and put it in a clipped and pinned SOU (SEF like) plastic housing when I get it?

I dont know, I went metal to metal....
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 11:48:37 AM EDT
[#20]
I just took the plunge on one of these BW89 SP pistols.  The SBR Form 1 will be in the mail as soon as I get it.  Can't wait to get this little plinker.  After the approved Form 1, it will look like this guy's PDW SBR ...
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 7:46:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Exactly Accomplice!  Mine will look just like that one, but I will have the K forearm as well.

Link Posted: 5/25/2005 9:00:11 AM EDT
[#22]
One of the local dealers have a near mint H&K SP89 for 3800.00 dollars and the sales person was asking me if i was intrested in the gun.

Real simple responce for this inquiry,..Hell No. There is no SBR allowance here in this state and the gun was over rated clunker in 1994 for a price tag over 900.00 dollars and now you want 4k for the gun you must be smoking crack.

My new Glock 17, cell pouch of G18 33 round mags, and the Surefire X200 will run circles around the overweight belly gun.  

Link Posted: 5/25/2005 10:23:18 AM EDT
[#23]
For you fellas with the Bobcat guns, how's the mag well fit? Does the mag have any front/back play when inserted?

If they've fixed that, I may have to look into getting one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top