Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2005 6:24:10 PM EDT
I bought a PTR91 from JLD about seven months ago, but haven't used it yet.  Let's just say I wnated to wait until I could get some insurance from my new employer.

What type of surplus ammo can I buy for it through the net?  It has to be hollow point for range requirements, but so far all I've seen online are full metal jacket.

Anyways, I can't wait to use it, and will probably have to use my AR15 first, since I've only used that once before and already have soft tip ammo for it.

It's all worth the wait, considering I've actually been shot point blank before by a rifle, so insurance was a must before I went to the range, even though the incident was hunting related.

Thanks for any help, and I'll be sure to give range reports!

Link Posted: 3/9/2005 6:50:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know about hollow point .308 rounds, but I know you can probably use frangible rounds. after the range if they allow that.  Just so you know if you decide to shoot frangibles through your rifle, clean it well afterwards as they leave a lot of fouling behind.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 4:42:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know about frangible rounds, all I do know is that both ranges I go to don't allow FMJ rounds to be fired.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:03:32 AM EDT
[#3]
black hills sells remaufactured(as well as new) high quality hollow point. the remanufactured is almost as inexpensive as surplus.  you won't be able to find hollow point military surplus in 308 beacause it doesn't exist.  around the turn of the last century(1900) the armies of the world signed onto the hague accord(IIRC) that said onlyFMJ was humane for war(theUS did not sign but does follow).  the only country to field hollow point ammo is the US (a 5.56 load).
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:17:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Hollow points......

Believe it or not, I've seen plenty of 77gr Black Hills Hollow points being fielded in Iraq.  Mostly to use in the M4s with 14.5" barrels.

At least they "looked" like hollow points.

HKCAPTN
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 2:43:15 PM EDT
[#5]
What does everyone here use at the range?  Or maybe everyone slips in the cheap stuff by accident?    
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 2:50:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What does everyone here use at the range?  Or maybe everyone slips in the cheap stuff by accident?    

The range i go to allows FMJ as long as it's not steel core/AP/incendiary.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 5:46:20 PM EDT
[#7]
no restrictions where i'm at in MN, which i'm thankful for.  

Darkest2000-  where is your range at?  i used to go to "five dogs" range just north of bakersfield and they had the same policy.  it was because of the chance of wildfires being started in the brown grass.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:53:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I use whatever ammo I want at the range I shoot at.  If I was you I would look for a different range.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:00:11 PM EDT
[#9]
WELCOME ABORD
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:21:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Darkest2000-  where is your range at?  i used to go to "five dogs" range just north of bakersfield and they had the same policy.  it was because of the chance of wildfires being started in the brown grass.

Ironsight over in Oceanside  It's actually an indoor range and they allow rifle cartridge .
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:44:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey!  I go to Ironsight too.  Great staff and good range.

HKCAPTN
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 2:26:21 PM EDT
[#12]
glad you guys have an ok place to shoot.  i heard it was getting hard to find places to shoot.  then again the inland empire is more sensible working class than L.A.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top