Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2005 12:46:35 PM EDT
Any reccomendations on who I should get to build a G3 clone for me?

Still gathering parts and got a few questions to ask but, it won't be long.

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 1:36:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Two places that do really good work are ARS for finishing work (I do not know for certain if they do builds) and the guy I would use for a build if doing one is Jason at IGF.  His work is second to none.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:01:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, I have heard (or seen) his name a number of times on this and the falfiles board but,
the last I heard was that Investment Grade Firearms was not taking in any new work.

I can't say for sure though.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:56:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I had Derek at Arizona Expert Arms do some FAL work for me a few years back.  I'm pleased with what he did and would recommend him.  That said, I have not seen his HK work.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:56:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Try big 50.www.big50hk.com AZ Precision Arms.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:35:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I have zero experience with these, but I am waiting for Ohio Rapid Fire to ramp up this year.  IIRC they said late spring/summer.  Of course there is that new H&K plant tooling up here in the states, but I'm not getting my hopes up.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:00:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I've heard nothing but good things about all of these builders. Allthough I would bet all of these guys are very busy right now because of the AWB ending. I know that IGF and Big50 arent taking any new orders right now.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 11:30:46 AM EDT
[#7]
I think all the good, trustworthy HK smiths, are too busy to take any orders right now.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:26:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Here is the gyst of what I am interpreting from some of the builders.  Keep in mind that this is only my perception of what is going on:

After a few e-mails and a couple of calls to the smiths that I know are capable of building an H.K.
style weapon, I get the feeling that with the complexeties of the stamped metal weapon inherent in the G3 etc as opposed to the straight forward AK style weapon, with it's looser clearances that the smiths would rather pound out 2-3 Aks in a days work than do one G3 style weapon.
It's a matter of economics.
They can thread a hundred barrels a day and be done with them and make as much, if not more than they can fiddling with a G3 for a couple of days and pray that it is aligned and barrel timed just right etc.
It is not my intention to bad mouth these good smiths that are out there trying to make a living.
They are doing exactly what I would be doing if I had to endure 10 years of feel good legislation and were attempting to make a living.
This is their area of expertise and their reputations on the line.  I will wait my turn patiently until it is my turn to either have a weapon custom built or buy one from a company like ORF or see if JLD can keep up with demand and still turn out a good product.

It is not my intention to bad mouth these individuals in any way and hope my perceptions are not taken as a flame or a swipe at a good bunch of people.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top